By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - Montana's Message To The Community

MontanaHatchet said:

However, appropriate posting isn't just limited to abstention from trolling and flaming. There has also been an ever-increasing number of spam/low quality posts and threads which are a negative force in the community. Not every thread will be a gem, but when you have quote trees which go on for 15+ posts with little to nothing being discussed and every other thread devolving to pointless discourse, it detracts from the overall quality of discussion.

While I agree with pretty much everything you said here Monty, this particular paragraph caught my attention.

The bolded I feel, is a fairly big problem. Some people simply don't know how to (or can't because they're on a phone/other device) remove the other quotes. It splits up conversation and in some cases turns threads into a giant bitch-fest.

Would be brilliant for the forums if a feature was added where if you quote a post, you literally only quote that post. Not the other 4/5+ before it.

Overall though, great post. The forums have improved a whole bunch since you came back, it's nice to see a moderator who clearly takes the job seriously.

Around the Network

Montana you're doing a fine job and I'll try to maintain my non trolling ways.

I agree completely that too many threads are being either trolled, or filled with worthless posts that wind up making what may have been an interesting thread into something I can't get myself to read.

On another, completely unrelated note (I'm sorry, I couldn't help myself), your writing skills are quite amazing (as can be seen by your OP alone). It flows quite amazingly, and really gets the point across. Have you ever asked to be a writer for Vgchartz? (you can tell me via wall post/PM if you don't want to clog this thread with unrelated discussion)

Money can't buy happiness. Just video games, which make me happy.

morenoingrato said:

What this site needs, and I've been insisting this for a while now, is a more strict moderation system that prevents even slight bait or intention trolling.

People need to use the report function more.

Trust me. It works.

Carl2291 said:
MontanaHatchet said:

However, appropriate posting isn't just limited to abstention from trolling and flaming. There has also been an ever-increasing number of spam/low quality posts and threads which are a negative force in the community. Not every thread will be a gem, but when you have quote trees which go on for 15+ posts with little to nothing being discussed and every other thread devolving to pointless discourse, it detracts from the overall quality of discussion.

While I agree with pretty much everything you said here Monty, this particular paragraph caught my attention.

The bolded I feel, is a fairly big problem. Some people simply don't know how to (or can't because they're on a phone/other device) remove the other quotes. It splits up conversation and in some cases turns threads into a giant bitch-fest.

Would be brilliant for the forums if a feature was added where if you quote a post, you literally only quote that post. Not the other 4/5+ before it.

Overall though, great post. The forums have improved a whole bunch since you came back, it's nice to see a moderator who clearly takes the job seriously.

great idea. i know in the past i've done this, and hate seeing it now. 

Around the Network

Montana, as people have said, you're a real fresh breath to the Moderator community. You do take your job seriously and this message conveys a lot.

Baalzamon said:
I agree completely that too many threads are being either trolled, or filled with worthless posts that wind up making what may have been an interesting thread into something I can't get myself to read.

On another, completely unrelated note (I'm sorry, I couldn't help myself), your writing skills are quite amazing (as can be seen by your OP alone). It flows quite amazingly, and really gets the point across. Have you ever asked to be a writer for Vgchartz? (you can tell me via wall post/PM if you don't want to clog this thread with unrelated discussion)

Thank you, I'm glad to hear that my writing style is appreciated as well. I actually did write a couple reviews and articles for the site years ago but I lowered my input as my interest in the community waned. For now I'd like to just devote my time on the site to being a moderator but I appreciate the compliment.

Addressing a couple of points in this thread:

Carl: The feature you mentioned (only quoting the last post instead of every post in the quote tree) is one I've seen on several other sites and it's something I hope will be implemented in the redesign.

RolStoppable: This is sadly true to an extent but I'd like to work towards the point where threads which foster good discussion can reach 100+ posts with ease.

Morenoingrato: It's tough to find the right balance of moderation. However, I'd glad to see that discussion has improved somewhat in the last couple of months.

The Vita trolling will die down in due course. 3DS was more or less a legitimate target until at least September of last year

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Yeah, I've seen it on so many other forums. It's like a basic feature of a forum nowadays.

Maybe you could put the idea forward on the staff forums? Would be much appreciated.

I've been polarized about you for the longest Hatchet, but I can sternly say that this is your best post to date.

That's all I'm going to say before I say something less than flattering.

Pixel Art can be fun.