By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Because every country is the best at something!

Canada is responsible for Justin Beiber and the fucking Jonas Brothers.

I am WEEzY. You can suck my Nintendo loving BALLS!

MynameisGARY

Around the Network
UnknownFact said:

menx64 said:
UnknownFact said:

Happiness.

Yep... The reason though is beyond me...

Nice to see a fellow tico here...  kudos!

These links may give you a hint:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Happy_Planet_Index

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Satisfaction_with_Life_Index

http://www.forbes.com/2010/07/14/world-happiest-countries-lifestyle-realestate-gallup-table.html

And theres many, many more like these where our country ranks in a high position in almost all of them. So that can be one of the reasons why they put "happiness" in this map.

Yeah I know, I have seen that several times in headlines from teletica and repretel... I guess eveybody has a different definition of happiness and I am not a good tico 'cause I dont see Costa Rica as the happiest place on earth. 

Menx64

3DS code: 1289-8222-7215

NNid: Menx064

crissindahouse said:
Marks said:
crissindahouse said:
Marks said:
Canada is the best at hockey. Also I guess we're the best at winter sports in general based on us getting the most gold medals at the 2010 Vancouver olympics.

Also I would argue we have the best bands per capita. And I emphasize the per capita part, obviously America and UK have more good bands than us, but for our small population, we have a lot of talent. Rush, Tragically Hip, BTO, The Guess Who, Arcade Fire, etc.

but you forgot the home bonus didn't you? i think russia, usa, germany, norway and maybe few others are better in wintersport in general.  or was that a joke exactly because it only was one time?

Yeah I was only half-serious. We are pretty good at winter sports, I think we do really well at skiing and a few other events, but yeah I do admit in general the USA is usually better than us, among others. 

at least exactly those sports you are good in will get even more medals to win in the future. snowboard and freestyle will get more events in sochi and i believe you are good in both. and as example we gemans have no clue about freestyle so this will hurt us a lot lol :(

so maybe you will be top three in sochi as well! i'm sure russia will win but after russia, i don't now...

I hope we can do half-decently in Sochi so that Vancouver wasn't just a fluke! But yeah I've gotta think Russia and America for sure will beat us, maybe Germany or some other Europeans as well. 

I'm not sure what sports Germans are the best at, but you guys definitely make the best products, especially cars!

RolStoppable said:

Either my country does not exist or "starting world wars" was deemed too offensive.

I think its more like   country that lost most world wars. Instead of country that started most.

It's not like we started WW1 you know? Serb killing Austrian prince Austria declaring war on Serbia which was allied with France(which hated Germany because Germany kicked France's ass before) and Germany as an ally of Austria therefore ended up in the conflict.

Its just that the stupid winners made it look like everything was Germany's fault. Thats one major reason WW2 happened. Everyone was angry what happened after WW2 and Mr. mustacho  used that to get massive support. But whatever.

-----

So yeah my country is the best in obviously having most Germans. Oh yeah and having the longest words possible. 

Stuff like :

Rindfleischetikettierungsüberwachungsaufgabenübertragungsgesetz

which translates into: Cattle marking and beef labeling supervision duties delegation law

another example of words like this is

Grundstücks­verkehrs­genehmigungs­zuständigkeits­übertragungs­verordnung

which means: Regulation on the delegation of authority concerning land conveyance permissions

there is more of words like these two because German has something called compounding of nouns which allows us to create a new noun by adding an infinite number of nouns to create the new one. 

EXAMPLE:  Internetseitennutzerkommentarbewertungsfunktion  (Internet+Seite+Benutzer+Kommentar+Bewertung+Funktion) which would roughly translate into either  thumbs down button or thumbs up button.

I just made up that word :)

Marks said:
crissindahouse said:
Marks said:
crissindahouse said:
Marks said:
Canada is the best at hockey. Also I guess we're the best at winter sports in general based on us getting the most gold medals at the 2010 Vancouver olympics.

Also I would argue we have the best bands per capita. And I emphasize the per capita part, obviously America and UK have more good bands than us, but for our small population, we have a lot of talent. Rush, Tragically Hip, BTO, The Guess Who, Arcade Fire, etc.

but you forgot the home bonus didn't you? i think russia, usa, germany, norway and maybe few others are better in wintersport in general.  or was that a joke exactly because it only was one time?

Yeah I was only half-serious. We are pretty good at winter sports, I think we do really well at skiing and a few other events, but yeah I do admit in general the USA is usually better than us, among others. 

at least exactly those sports you are good in will get even more medals to win in the future. snowboard and freestyle will get more events in sochi and i believe you are good in both. and as example we gemans have no clue about freestyle so this will hurt us a lot lol :(

so maybe you will be top three in sochi as well! i'm sure russia will win but after russia, i don't now...

I hope we can do half-decently in Sochi so that Vancouver wasn't just a fluke! But yeah I've gotta think Russia and America for sure will beat us, maybe Germany or some other Europeans as well. 

I'm not sure what sports Germans are the best at, but you guys definitely make the best products, especially cars!

in wintersports, we are very good  in biathlon and bobsleigh for example. biathlon is very popular in europe but nobody cares about it in usa and canada. no clue why because it's really great in my opinion. then i don't understand why shorttrack isn't popular here but ice speed skating is because shorttrack is, in my opinion, not worse than that.

i just looked the last 5 winter-olympics. we were place 2,1,2,1,3 but i believe in sochi we won't be top 3 because we lost our best athletes in some sports this and last year and the nwe ones aren't as good as them.

i would say next olypmic games first three places will be russia (if not with skill, then with dope lol), norway and one place open for some countries  (germany, usa, canada, south korea, sweden, austria, swiss)

Around the Network
crissindahouse said:
Marks said:
crissindahouse said:
Marks said:
crissindahouse said:
Marks said:

in wintersports, we are very good  in biathlon and bobsleigh for example. biathlon is very popular in europe but nobody cares about it in usa and canada. no clue why because it's really great in my opinion. then i don't understand why shorttrack isn't popular here but ice speed skating is because shorttrack is, in my opinion, not worse than that.

i just looked the last 5 winter-olympics. we were place 2,1,2,1,3 but i believe in sochi we won't be top 3 because we lost our best athletes in some sports this and last year and the nwe ones aren't as good as them.

i would say next olypmic games first three places will be russia (if not with skill, then with dope lol), norway and one place open for some countries  (germany, usa, canada, south korea, sweden, austria, swiss)

Yeah biatholon is a pretty cool sport. Cross-country skiing isn't popular in North America though so maybe that's why USA and Canada don't really care for it, we're more into downhill skiing. 

Is Norway really that good? Maybe I just don't pay enough attention to the past medal counts. I guess it makes sense they're great at the winter sports, but I wouldn't have thought they were top 3 calibre. 

Edit: I've done some looking at past medal results, and I can definitely see that Norway does really well most years. Seems like Germany and USA are always top 3 and someone like Austria, Norway or Canada gets the other top 3 spot. 

Marks said:
crissindahouse said:
Marks said:
crissindahouse said:
Marks said:
crissindahouse said:
Marks said:

Yeah biatholon is a pretty cool sport. Cross-country skiing isn't popular in North America though so maybe that's why USA and Canada don't really care for it, we're more into downhill skiing. 

Is Norway really that good? Maybe I just don't pay enough attention to the past medal counts. I guess it makes sense they're great at the winter sports, but I wouldn't have thought they were top 3 calibre. 

i would say germany and norway were the best the last decades. then usa and russia close behind (but there isn't much of a difference between those four) norway failed in 2006 i remember that and saw that on wiki few minutes ago but all other olympics they were very very good. that's what i think about germany and sochi, that we could fail there like norway did in 2006.

and yeah, i don't like cross-country skiing very much but i love biathlon. it's so great if someone is first because he was the fastest runner and then he/she fails at shooting and has to run an extra round haha

RolStoppable said:
JazzB1987 said:
RolStoppable said:

Either my country does not exist or "starting world wars" was deemed too offensive.

I think its more like   country that lost most world wars. Instead of country that started most.

It's not like we started WW1 you know? Serb killing Austrian prince Austria declaring war on Serbia which was allied with France(which hated Germany because Germany kicked France's ass before) and Germany as an ally of Austria therefore ended up in the conflict.

Its just that the stupid winners made it look like everything was Germany's fault. Thats one major reason WW2 happened. Everyone was angry what happened after WW2 and Mr. mustacho  used that to get massive support. But whatever.

(...)

My country isn't Germany.

So you are Austrian? I didn't know  that  haha :)  tschuign  never would have thought that because it's usually the Germans that are the ones at fault :)

crissindahouse said:
Marks said:
crissindahouse said:
Marks said:
crissindahouse said:
Marks said:
crissindahouse said:
Marks said:

i would say germany and norway were the best the last decades. then usa and russia close behind (but there isn't much of a difference between those four) norway failed in 2006 i remember that and saw that on wiki few minutes ago but all other olympics they were very very good. that's what i think about germany and sochi, that we could fail there like norway did in 2006.

and yeah, i don't like cross-country skiing very much but i love biathlon. it's so great if someone is first because he was the fastest runner and then he/she fails at shooting and has to run an extra round haha

ahhh you got in your response before I could edit my last post! haha. Yeah I did some looking through past results as well and saw how good Norway is. Austria also seems to do amazing the odd year. But definitely you guys and America seem to be consistently top 3. 

Marks said:

Canada has great music. I fully admit we make shit TV shows/movies and everything else, but the one thing we can do is make music.

- Bachman Turner Overdrive are a solid band, I guarantee you've heard the song "Taking Care of Business"

- The Guess who are well known for songs like American Woman

- The Tragically Hip are absolutely amazing, the best band out of Canada...but for some reason nobody outside of Canada has heard of them. If you want, look up the songs "Fireworks", "Bobcaygeon" and "New Orleans is Sinking" by them. They're great.

- We also have Sum 41, Finger Eleven, Steppenwolf, 54-40, Barenaked Ladies, Our Lady Peace, Neil Young, Tokyo Police Club, April Wine, Theory of a Deadman, Feist, Vampire Weekend, and more. No way you haven't heard of at least some of those.

- But yeah I do admit we make some of the most annoying stuff like Avril Lavigne (who is very hot though), Nickelback and Justin Bieber, but they are more than cancelled out by the good stuff. And they wouldn't be popular if many people didn't love them. 

I find the lack of Metric mentions disturbing.

Signature goes here!