By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - The Racist history of the Republican Party

Rath said:
Kasz216 said:
Rath said:

What I'm saying is that there  is no scientific definition of personhood.

Sure there is.  It's just, nobody would want to use that definition of personhood, because it'd be seen as extremely cruel and immortal.  Since it's not some time until after birth, and once a child is born, nobody wants to kill it.  Up until a certain point, a child is no more advanced then an animal.

I mean, afterall your an atheist right?  With no soul or spirit, personhood is encapsulated in the mind isn't it?

I'm an atheist yes, and in my opinion personhood is in some way linked to the mind. I strongly disagree however that there is a scientific definition of when it begins as the idea of personhood is an entirely philosophical construct.

May I ask... in what way?  Or do you just not know yet.

Really, badgenome's crazy scientists wanting to kill babies more or less is the interesting arguement actually.

Mentally, there really isn't much difference between a newborn and a fetus in late stages of what's considered acceptable abortion.

Outside survivability, in that.... rather then only the mother being able to keep the baby alive, almost anbody can keep a newborn alive.

So it's not really a question of "Is the child a person".  It's a question of, "Does a perspective mother have the right to abort a fetus and withold nutrients... the fetus more or less being a parasitic being."

Which brings some pretty interesting philosphical questions.

Espiecally when you look at the history of Abortion... it more or less has mirrored survivability.  Once abortions became legal, the point for which abortions were no logner alowed more or less was "When a baby realistically could live on it's own."

And yet, if that's your mark, why can't then at least a woman induce pregancy if not have the abortion?

And of course, the biggest conservative stumbling block is the "Rape and incest" clause.  Which is why I tend to actually tend to like far right wing pro-life people more then the ones who use that cause.   I may think they're crazy, but at least they're ideologically sound.  I mean, if a baby is made through rape, incest how is it any less of a person.

Same goes for disability.

Around the Network
Rath said:
thismeintiel said:
Rath said:
Snesboy said:

Small government = more freedom

Marriage is lame. Just ask any young person.

Ron Paul is for legalizing that stuff.

Maybe her man should put on some fucking rubber instead of using my tax dollars to pay for her bastard. It's not a moral issue, it's a stop being a slut and taking my money issue.

Why yes, yes I am.

You do realise that condoms are not 100% effective?

You do realize sex is a choice and not something required to live?

Yes I do. You have moved the goalposts though - you were talking about condoms and now you are talking about abstinence.

Your response was to Snesboy's comment about "her man" buying some rubbers instead of using taxpayer's money for contraceptives and/or welfare for the child.  In other words, you make it seem like you support the idea of the taxpayer's baring the burden of other's unwise behaviors.  If that isn't the case, I apologize.  If it is, I just find that ridiculous.

Snesboy said:
NinjaguyDan said:

The Republicans are the champions of freedom?

The freedom to marry who you want?

The freedom to use a safe, natural substance, either medicinally or recreationally?

The freedom for a woman to make her own reproductive decisions?

Or are you trying to feed me some bullshit?

Maybe her man should put on some fucking rubber instead of using my tax dollars to pay for her bastard. It's not a moral issue, it's a stop being a slut and taking my money issue.

Why yes, yes I am.

Shouldn't you be for planned parenthood then.

Afterall, you aren't going to get rid of welfare.  Let alone child welfare.

Abortion goes a great way to keeping welfare costs down... and crime rates.

I'm not really getting what you're talking about Kasz. What I am saying is that for something to be defined scientifically it needs to objective - personhood isn't. Just like good and evil it's a human construct to describe our perspective of the world.

You cannot scientifically say that "this is a person, this isn't". You can philosophise on the subject however.

Oh, and since abortion for some reason a hot button issue in this thread.

It would be unfortunate not to mention that some black rights advocates see abortion as racist.

Generally because Planned Parenthood was founded by someone in favor of eugenics, as a way to lower the birthrate of "Undesirables" and because abortions heavily favor minorities.

I of course disagree, but it's worth mentioning.

Around the Network
Rath said:
Allfreedom99 said:
NinjaguyDan said:

The freedom to use a safe, natural substance, either medicinally or recreationally?

By that last statement if you mean contraceptives , I have not heard any elected republican official try to ban contraceptives. That is a ridiculous argument ginned up by leftists to try to make it sound like elected officials on the right wants to ban contraceptives. I have never seen them advocating for that.

If by that statement you are also meaning abortion then I have a question for you:  When does that life inside the mothers womb become a human?

Personhood is not a scientific thing, nobody can say that it scientifically occurs at a definite point. The right wing does want to limit access to reproductive health services - Romney just said that as president he would abolish planned parenthood entirely. He's the most moderate of the Republican candidates.

My question was, when does that life in the womb become human? Is not that life in the womb defined as human life? if we say we value human life then why do we not value human life when its in the womb? No one can deny the life inside the womb is human life.

Rath said:
I'm not really getting what you're talking about Kasz. What I am saying is that for something to be defined scientifically it needs to objective - personhood isn't. Just like good and evil it's a human construct to describe our perspective of the world.

You cannot scientifically say that "this is a person, this isn't". You can philosophise on the subject however.

Well first i'd consider reading Badgenome's article... but generally...

The very foundation of western philopshy and science on personhood can be boiled down to one latin phrase.

Cogito ergo sum.

Rath said:
Allfreedom99 said:
NinjaguyDan said:

By that last statement if you mean contraceptives , I have not heard any elected republican official try to ban contraceptives. That is a ridiculous argument ginned up by leftists to try to make it sound like elected officials on the right wants to ban contraceptives. I have never seen them advocating for that.

If by that statement you are also meaning abortion then I have a question for you:  When does that life inside the mothers womb become a human?

Personhood is not a scientific thing, nobody can say that it scientifically occurs at a definite point. The right wing does want to limit access to reproductive health services - Romney just said that as president he would abolish planned parenthood entirely. He's the most moderate of the Republican candidates.

I will say it another way. Lets say there is a man who had no living family and noone who knew him. He was hit by a car and was in a hospital bed in a coma. Now I would not do this ever but hypothetically...Tell me the truth, would you honestly condemn me or think that I am doing something criminal if I went into that hospital put a pistol to his brain, blew his brians out to end his life?

Allfreedom99 said:
Rath said:

I will say it another way. Lets say there is a man who had no living family and noone who knew him. He was hit by a car and was in a hospital bed in a coma. Now I would not do this ever but hypothetically...Tell me the truth, would you honestly condemn me or think that I am doing something criminal if I went into that hospital put a pistol to his brain, blew his brians out to end his life?

Three things.

Coma != braindead. If he were brain dead the situation is quite different.

Assuming he is braindead (in which case yes I consider him dead) it is not within your authority to 'unplug' him. That is the doctors authority.

Once again assuming he is braindead - I don't think you committed murder but I do think that you just mutilated a body which is in itself a criminal act.

Edit: And yes I agree that essentially philosophy defines personhood as consciousness - that still isn't scientific though.

Rath said:
thismeintiel said:
Rath said:
Snesboy said:

Why yes, yes I am.

You do realise that condoms are not 100% effective?

You do realize sex is a choice and not something required to live?

Yes I do. You have moved the goalposts though - you were talking about condoms and now you are talking about abstinence.

Oh I wasn't trying to add to the discussion (which has been pretty awesome so far if I do say so myself, fair and balanced, and very polite) I was setting up flamebait.

Of course condoms aren't 100% effective. Neither are birth control pills. That's why all males that are only going to think with their abnormal penis should be either A) Euthanized or B) Sterilized.

Sounds about right.