By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Pachter: Wii U won’t be “as popular as probably Nintendo thinks”

Yeah, this BS has been around the horn already, it seems. But not much can be said on the matter that hasn't been said anyway.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Around the Network

I'd like to imagine Nintendo aren't crazy. They know it won't be as popular as the Wii, but it will still sell extremely well.

Please don't quote Pachter anymore. This man is really stupid.

He has all to often proved that he has not the slightest knowledge of why consoles sells and why not. He was the man that called the Wii a bubble for six years now, he was the man that said that Nintendo sells the 3DS far to cheap.

Kynes said:
Can we stop quoting every freaking thing Pachter says?

No it's too much fun to read this stuff.

"it's a lot like the Xbox 360 in terms of graphics, frame rate, and control scheme"

I can't write anything that funny, can you?

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

I think we should make a thread on predicting Pachter, and calling Doom all over him. I can feel the WRATH!

Around the Network

He is butthurt that his prediction didnt come true and is afraid of losing face if Nintendo defies his expectations and is a sucess again. It proves he really doesnt know what he is talking about and sucks at his job.

kuraobi said:
teigaga said:
Jereel Hunter said:
I'm not sure saying they "Dreamcast themselves" would be an accurate critique. The Dreamcast was succeeding, but Sega didn't have the money to keep it going. The problem with selling a high power console at a loss, your business model only works longterm if you can survive the initial losses.... which Sega couldn't. If Sega had the money to keep the DC around, it would have been a huge success... and Nintendo has that money. Also, instead of releasing high end equipment like the DC, they're releasing(relative to release date) low end equipment that will be profitable day 1, just like the Wii. In every day opposite of the DC.

The dreamcast reference was actually pointing at the fact that the wii U's graphics will be dated a year or 2 after release, when the 720, PS4 arrive. The dreamcast lacked 3rd party support and the arrival of the ps2, gamecube and xbox which were in a complete different power bracket would have stolen all 3rd party support. The wii managed but it had a much bolder control and had instant appeal, especially to the casual crowd, whilst the Wii U is like a slightly augmented 360 control. Seeing as nintendo's main target market is the core gamer, they may have some trouble when ps4/720 arrive with graphics which are half a generation beyond what we think the Wii U capable off. But we'll have to wait till E3 as the specs may be very different and we may see amazing things done with that control.

There wasn't a bigger gap between the Dreamcast and the PS2 than between the PS2 and the GC/Xbox, time wise or power wise.

no, but the ps2 was the base of the last generation. Any multiplatform games were made with the ps2 as the main platform and then ported to the GC and Xbox. The Dreamcast was significantly weak enough to make porting games down from the ps2 difficult, just as it would be extremely hard to port an Xbox game like KOTR or Fable to ps2. This would require months development time or even an entirely new team, as we've seen with wii ports.

Nintendo fans should take this as great news. Every time Patcher predicts something, the opposite happens. He thought the Wii would come in 3rd, it came in 1st. He thought the 3DS would fail, and it is breaking sales records. Let's all look forward to the Wii U's future success!

Nintendo Network ID: Flanneryaug

Friend Code: 4699 - 6552 - 3671

Add me! :)

It all depends on what Nintendo expects out of the Wii U, if they expect better sales than the Wii then I'd say Pachter is right in saying it won't be as popular as they think it will but reading the whole quote I don't think that's what he's saying and I really don't agree with him because Nintendo can't "Dreamcast" themselves because if all else fails they can rely solely on their first party games to sustain their console like they did with the GameCube.

Signature goes here!

I just don't understand why he would state this

"I think that if in fact it’s a lot like an Xbox 360 in terms of graphics, frame rate and control scheme, then it’s probably not going to sell well unless it’s priced a lot cheaper, and I don’t think they’re launching the console at $150."

Can anyone tell me why he would state such a dumb scenario when it far from the truth?