By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Do you consider him a terrorist?

Assuming the police action in Afghanistan still qualifies as a theater of war, then he's a war criminal.

Without knowing anything about his mental state leading up to the killing spree, I can't really make any sort of valid judgement, but offhand it sounds like he completely lost his mind. Legally insane or no, I think he should still be held accountable for his actions given the amount of irreparable damage he's done to the mission and it should take some pretty extenuating circumstances to keep him from facing a firing squad.

Sad thing is, no matter what happens, whether there's a conviction and it was determined he operated completely alone and no matter how many hundreds of millions of dollars are given to the Afghan community as compensation, the mission to "win hearts and minds" is done. Over. There is no way to fix this.

Around the Network

This thread was already made yesterday AND IT GOT LOCKED and people were banned

greenmedic88 said:
Assuming the police action in Afghanistan still qualifies as a theater of war, then he's a war criminal.

Without knowing anything about his mental state leading up to the killing spree, I can't really make any sort of valid judgement, but offhand it sounds like he completely lost his mind. Legally insane or no, I think he should still be held accountable for his actions given the amount of irreparable damage he's done to the mission and it should take some pretty extenuating circumstances to keep him from facing a firing squad.

Sad thing is, no matter what happens, whether there's a conviction and it was determined he operated completely alone and no matter how many hundreds of millions of dollars are given to the Afghan community as compensation, the mission to "win hearts and minds" is done. Over. There is no way to fix this.

Ummmm... we're talking about "civilians" who started attacking and killing each other, troops and even international reps because a book was burned.  The mission to "win hearts and minds" was doomed before we ever set foot in that hellhole.

Instead of invading and wasting billions looking for OBL and trying to bring the country to at least within the past 5 centuries of progress, we should have just turned the entire country into a glass parking lot if you know what I mean.

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

NightDragon83 said:
greenmedic88 said:

Ummmm... we're talking about "civilians" who started attacking and killing each other, troops and even international reps because a book was burned.  The mission to "win hearts and minds" was doomed before we ever set foot in that hellhole.

Instead of invading and wasting billions looking for OBL and trying to bring the country to at least within the past 5 centuries of progress, we should have just turned the entire country into a glass parking lot if you know what I mean.

well to be honset, it would have sufficed if you had brought the country back just a few decades when afghanistan was it was the cultural centre of that region...

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

NightDragon83 said:

The USAF weren't in theater looking for OBL. Intel had him near the Pakistani border or within Pakistani territory. It's not like there's a fence or anything separating the territories. The reason for the campaign was to overthrow the Taliban as the ruling party, which they did. 

After that, the campaign should have been handed over to Civil Affairs, but the idea that Afghanistan is some sort of unified nation with a unified population under one banner that can be dealt with as a unified body is a myth, making the mission there one of those indefinite operations with no clear finish line. It's looking pretty clear that the longer the USAF is in there, the worse things are going to get as the situation regresses further into a "we don't want to be here and they don't want us here" and yet we still have this obligation to the Karzai administration even though his influence barely passes beyond the confines of Kabul. 

All I have to say about that is the US obsession with nation building has got to be one of the most expensive national hobbies. 

Around the Network
HesAPooka said:

I think this happened for any number of reasons. I read that it was a single soldier who did the shooting, but I also read that it was a few soldier who actually went into the village (but only one did the shooting). Could be they got drunk and decided to have some personal revenge. Could be that the stress of war got to him, or could be that a group of people planned an attack. The soldier went into three different houses and shot people. Takes time for someone to shoot at three different houses so clearly he could have been stopped sooner if there were people with him, and considering it happened at 2am I doubt he was off by himself.

All I know is no matter what the truth is. It will come out that it was on soldier who acted alone who had mental problems.

Oh, and I'm from Canada, and do think there is an element of terrorism involved since if he just went crazy he could have easily shot his own countymen.

I'm guessing you don't know how mental illness works... espiecally PTSD.

To use antoher example, not PTSD related... someone once shot a US President because he thought it would cause a movie star to fall in love with him.

Was this guy a terrorist?

No.  He was just insane.  Even if there were tons of other people he could of shot before Reagan.

yes he is. why? because it's my opinion. i'm sure after a while the enemy looks the same as the civilians, so you get to the point where you're not sure who the enemy is, but mental illness is no excuse for murder. if it was just mental illness, he would have stopped at one house.

If Osama goes orders the killing of americans, then both him and the people that execute the job are terrorists. Similarly, both this guy and the two previous US presidents are.

Probably not, but the act they are doing there for last decade is terrorism.

MARCUSDJACKSON said:
yes he is. why? because it's my opinion. i'm sure after a while the enemy looks the same as the civilians, so you get to the point where you're not sure who the enemy is, but mental illness is no excuse for murder. if it was just mental illness, he would have stopped at one house.

Again... i'm guessing you have no actual expeirence or schooling in mental illnesses.