By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - gamrDebate- Goodbye to GAME... (and what went wrong?) UPDATE** "Saviour" found?

Is there still a point in having dedicated games stores?

Yes! 59 72.84%

No! 14 17.28%

See results. 7 8.64%

Total:80
SecondWar said:
Conegamer said:
SecondWar said:
Conegamer said:

I remember the time when you could go into a gaming store and find all sorts of games. The new releases, the retro, the mainstream, the niche...but not nowadays. These days, if you were to go into your local branch of GAME, you'll be lucky to find anything other than the new releases. Games from the previous generation? No. Some smaller releases, like the one above? You're out of luck there. The only thing you'll find really nowadays are the big releases (if even then...). 

But the issue with that is, you could get all of these from other retailers, like Tesco, or Asda, but with one key difference- the price is usually lower. So where's the point of going to GAME, if the game you're trying to get can be found in your local supermarket, for a lower price, and is more likely to be there when GAME may not even be stocking the game in the first place? 

Are you kidding me? Whenever I've been to the 'gaming' section in my local Tesco Extra, the choice is absolutely patheic. With exception of a few consistant high sellers (eg Mario Kart) Tesco have a Top 15 Chart, new releases and then what accounts to a Bargain Bin (ie what was in the charts not too long ago and what we now need to get shut of). In terms of choice and variety, Tesco is a big step backwards.

This is my point. If you look at the games which have been in GAME for the past year or two, you'll see that, most of the new games, are these BIG hitters in the top 15. The stores get relatively few new games in which I would consider 'niche', unless they're pre-owned, or you've asked for them. And even then, they'll only get one or two copies in, and they'll be more expensive than online.

Read my last post above yours, having been in today the entire place was much more lacklustre than I was expecting. I'm used to running in and out on a given day with a day-one purchase. Rarely stop to look at what else is on offer. Had a look in HMV, they had a better selection, a load of lesser known games and a lot less focus on pre-owned titles. Maybe thats why they haven't suffered quite so badly.

Sorry, didn't see that post. 

It's true, the selection in HMV has been getting more and more impressive; however, it's still sad that the UK's only REAL dedicated Game store has finally gone under (my local store has closed now).

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

Around the Network

Company Opcapita purchasing a large chunk of GAME. Could this be the lifeline they need?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-17575500

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.