By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Play Station 3 outsells NES

This is ridiculous. Everytime the 360 or the Wii passed another console people made threads about it and celebrated it as a milestone. But now that it's the PS3 that does it, it's somehow a crime to make a thread about it. Suddenly it's all about desperate Sony fanboys, how it doesn't matter and how it's no achievement worthy of a thread.

All I'll say is: Congrats, PS3! :)

Around the Network

Your comparing sales to a console of the 1980's not far off 30 years ago, back when dinosaurs roamed earth, to me the thread was posted like Sony have got one over on nintendo or something, the industry was completely different.

90 million possible.

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)
SmokedHostage said:

Given that the NES pretty much brought console gaming back from a crash and the population was ~70% what is it now, I hardly consider this an accomplishment.

Really? Even though the Ps3 is in last place this generation, which means that this generation has sold more than three times as much? I'd say it's an accomplishment. And besides, the majority of population growth has been happening in really underdeveloped countries and I doubt those guys are huge gamers. You're looking at this the wrong way.

Yes because gamings bigger now then it's was back then genius, more people game and own multiple platforms now

Around the Network

As much as I love NES and cherish the memories back then, It is good to see gaming consoles still selling strong and surviving. A nice slap to the face to all the console and handheld haters.

Gaming Away Life Since 1985

SmokedHostage said:

Given that the NES pretty much brought console gaming back from a crash and the population was ~70% what is it now, I hardly consider this an accomplishment.

So you're saying the PS3 is a flop?
The Xbox 360 is only about 3million ahead, so you calling that a flop as well?

You have to remember that there are 3 competing platforms this generation. The 3rd place console outselling the NES is a huge accomplishment. Usually the 3rd place and second place consoles are complete flops compared to the first place console.(See: N64, Dreamcast, Gamecube and Xbox)

This gen, we can easily say that all consoles were successful. None of them were flops. They all had a great library of games. Let's celebrate.

MegaDrive08 said:
Yes because gamings bigger now then it's was back then genius, more people game and own multiple platforms now

Which is exactly what this shows, how much the market has grown. Are you mad because Sega isn't part of the console race anymore or something?

Grats to Sony, I would say at this point 70M is guaranteed, 80M is fairly likely and 90M is very unlikely.

I'm not hating on Sony It was on they way the thread was written, i owned a ps1 and ps2 and this gen has been great for all three of the company's and has to be the most sucessful home console generations yet, I don't want any of the company's to fail it's great for gamers to be spoilt for choice.