By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Play Station 3 outsells NES

MegaDrive08 said:
I'm not hating on Sony It was on they way the thread was written, i owned a ps1 and ps2 and this gen has been great for all three of the company's and has to be the most sucessful home console generations yet, I don't want any of the company's to fail it's great for gamers to be spoilt for choice.

The PS3 is still selling so its lifetime sales will surpass the NES by a wide margin. You're acting like the 62 million unit sales for a system at the mid-point in its lifecycle are insubstantial. This is simply unfair considering the fact that it still has several years left and the most significant price-cut (the critical $200 mass-adoption price point). The PS3 will hardly be the success of the PS2 but it is still a very popular system.

@VGKing

Why not list systems that actually came in third place for comparison sake?

4th gen:

SNES - 49 million

TurboGrafx-16 - 10 million

5th gen:

PS1 - 104 million

Saturn - 10 million

6th gen:

PS2 - 154 million

GameCube - 22 million

As you can see, the growth that the industry hardly guarantees any kind of success for third place and it certainly did not guarantee the prospect of the PS3 surpassing 90 million, maybe even 100 million unit sales.

Around the Network

it doesnt matter what ps3 does, its a failure around here on vgchartz no matter what. oh and who would have thought early on in this cycle that all 3 consoles could end up within 10 million of eachother. wii may not even finish 1st!! you never know!

NintendoPie said:
I wouldn't say this is an accomplishment. It does show, however, that the PS3 is growing in UserBase which is always a good thing. I expect it to get 85 Million to 90 Million. No way Seece's 100 Million. Still a good number.

whay not?

MARCUSDJACKSON said:
NintendoPie said:
I wouldn't say this is an accomplishment. It does show, however, that the PS3 is growing in UserBase which is always a good thing. I expect it to get 85 Million to 90 Million. No way Seece's 100 Million. Still a good number.

whay not?

To which comment?

NintendoPie said:
MARCUSDJACKSON said:
NintendoPie said:

whay not?

To which comment?

the bold

Around the Network
MARCUSDJACKSON said:
NintendoPie said:
MARCUSDJACKSON said:
NintendoPie said:

whay not?

To which comment?

the bold

Same thing with the Wii. The PS4 might be announced at E3 this year and that would kill almost all customers who would want a PS3. Especially if the PS4 is confirmed to be backwards compatible. Plus, the PS3 has a far way to go to get there and there is little time.

NintendoPie said:
MARCUSDJACKSON said:
NintendoPie said:
MARCUSDJACKSON said:
NintendoPie said:

whay not?

To which comment?

the bold

Same thing with the Wii. The PS4 might be announced at E3 this year and that would kill almost all customers who would want a PS3. Especially if the PS4 is confirmed to be backwards compatible. Plus, the PS3 has a far way to go to get there and there is little time.

srry but new consoles have nothing to do with the shelf life of a preexisting console. PS2 was still outselling 360 and Wii in there first 2 yr's if i remeber correctly.

who would want a PS3 with PS4 being backwards compatable? late adopters, and cheap bastards. 

alas. I get to play Tales of Graces in English now so, it's all good.

NintendoPie said:
MARCUSDJACKSON said:
NintendoPie said:
MARCUSDJACKSON said:
NintendoPie said:

whay not?

To which comment?

the bold

But PS3 is not a Nintendo console, everybody knows that a PlayStation sells many many years after their successor arrives. Hell, even the PS2 will be around when PS4 gets released Plus, the PS4 wont be announced this year.

Turkish said:
NintendoPie said:
MARCUSDJACKSON said:
NintendoPie said:
MARCUSDJACKSON said:
NintendoPie said:

whay not?

To which comment?

the bold

But PS3 is not a Nintendo console, everybody knows that a PlayStation sells many many years after their successor arrives. Hell, even the PS2 will be around when PS4 gets released Plus, the PS4 wont be announced this year.

It's probablly because of my poor sales predictions for Sony, you are probably right. I still don't think it'll reach 100 Million though.