By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Pope denounces U.S. political push to legalize gay marriage

marioboy2004 said:
Majority of people hate Catholics, if you want to see a true Christian Jesus was the prime example. The majority of the world hates Christians, would like to kill/crucify them, disagree with their beliefs. When I get on peoples nerves atleast I know I must be doing something right.

You do such a good job emulating Christ he would be so proud... oh wait, I meant the exact opposite of that. If people can refer to you as a bigot, or you show pride in getting on peoples' nerves it should be painfully obvious that you are straying from the path of Christ.

Around the Network
spurgeonryan said:

By Philip Pullella

(Reuters) - Pope Benedict on Friday denounced the "powerful political and cultural currents" seeking to legalize gay marriage in the United States, where Maryland has just become the eighth state to allow it.

The pope's latest comments in opposition to homosexual marriage came in an address to bishops from several Midwestern states on a regular visit to the Vatican.

"Sexual differences cannot be dismissed as irrelevant to the definition of marriage," he said.

He added that the traditional family and marriage had to be "defended from every possible misrepresentation of their true nature" because, he said, whatever injured families injured society.

"In this regard, particular mention must be made of the powerful political and cultural currents seeking to alter the legal definition of marriage (in the United States)," he added in a clear reference to gay marriage.

Last week Maryland legalized same-sex marriage.

Massachusetts, Iowa, Vermont, New Hampshire, Connecticut, New York and the District of Columbia currently allow gay and lesbian weddings.

Washington State will join the list in June unless opponents stop it ahead of a possible referendum, and Maryland will be added in January 2013 unless its law, too, is overturned by a threatened referendum in November.

Benedict called on American bishops to continue their "defense of marriage as a natural institution consisting of a specific communion of persons, essentially rooted in the complementarities of the sexes and oriented to procreation".

The Vatican and Catholic officials around the world have protested against moves to legalize gay marriage in Europe and other developed parts of the world.

NEW CARDINAL LEADING OPPONENT

One leading opponent of gay marriage in the United States is New York Archbishop Timothy Dolan, who was elevated to cardinal last month.

Dolan fought against gay marriage before it became legal in New York state last June, and in September he sent a letter to President Barack Obama criticizing his administration's decision not to support a federal ban on gay marriage.

In that letter Dolan, who also holds the powerful post of president of the U.S. Bishops' Conference, said such a policy could "precipitate a national conflict between Church and state of enormous proportions".

The Roman Catholic Church, which has some 1.3 billion members worldwide, teaches that while homosexual tendencies are not sinful, homosexual acts are, and that children should grow up in a traditional family with a mother and a father.

Gay marriage is legal in a number of European countries, including Spain and the Netherlands.

Some other Christian Churches that have allowed gay marriage, women priests, gay clergy and gay bishops have been losing members to Catholicism, and the Vatican has taken steps to facilitate their conversion.

While still controversial in the United States, same-sex marriage has been gaining acceptance recently. New Jersey passed a gay marriage law through both legislative houses, though the legislation was vetoed by Republican Governor Chris Christie.

An appeals court overturned California's ban on gay marriage, enacted through a 2008 referendum.

(Additional reporting By Alice Popovici in Annapolis, Maryland; Editing by Alessandra Rizzo)

In that letter Dolan, who also holds the powerful post of president of the U.S. Bishops' Conference, said such a policy could "precipitate a national conflict between Church and state of enormous proportions".

Look at our consititution! The only conflict between church and state is the churches willingness to try to force its viewpoint on government...lol, relgion has had to much say in our policies and that is a huge part of the problem. Obama does not need to defend any polciies that go against the churches teaching, because our government has no obligation to bow to the majority.

-- Nothing is nicer than seeing your PS3 on an HDTV through an HDMI cable for the first time.

I've never agreed with the idea that people can be born gay/straight. Nor do I believe that people choose which gender they find attactive.

I'm no expert here, but I don't think newborns can distinguish between male or female, let alone have an attraction to either gender. Through years of experiences through watching parents, media, other people etc, I already had a disposition towards hetrosexuality being appropriate even before I 'felt' any attraction to a female. I don't know if these experiences effected my eventual sexual preference, but I'm fairly sure I didn't have any preference upon birth.

I also don't think anyone chooses what gender they're attracted to. At least not on a conscious level. The mind/brain is a mysterious and often uncontrollable entity and our thoughts/wants can often wander off beyond our own understanding. There are things about my own personality that I don't understand. I think it's possible to suggest that early childhood experiences had a great effect on how I act/think today. Again, I'm no expert, but I wouldn't be surprised if a person's inner desires were largely determined by external stimuli and the effect it has on the subconsious mind.

When I think back to when I initially began attracted to women, I can't think of any definite time. I know I wasn't born with any attraction, there was a time when I considered girls and boys equally unatractive. There was some point in time between birth and now where I begun to have a preference. I don't remember when. I'm pretty sure societal

Who really cares what the Pope has to say?
The 2,000 year old archaic Church should keep out of politics.

I've never agreed with the idea that people can be born gay/straight. Nor do I believe that people choose which gender they find attactive.

I'm no expert here, but I don't think newborns can distinguish between male or female, let alone have an attraction to either gender. Through years of experiences watching parents, media, other people etc, I already had a disposition towards hetrosexuality being appropriate even before I 'felt' any attraction to a female. I don't know if these experiences affected my eventual sexual preference, but I'm fairly sure I didn't have any preference upon birth.

I also don't think anyone chooses what gender they're attracted to. At least not on a conscious level. The mind/brain is a mysterious and often uncontrollable entity and our thoughts/wants can often wander off beyond our own understanding. There are things about my own personality that I don't understand. I think it's possible to suggest that early childhood experiences had a great effect on how I act/think today. Again, I'm no expert, but I wouldn't be surprised if a person's inner desires were largely determined by external stimuli and the effect it has on the subconsious mind.

I can't think of any definite time that I became attracted to females. I also know I wasn't born with any attraction, there was a time when I considered girls and boys equally unatractive. There must have been some point in time between birth and now where I began to have a preference. I don't remember when. Societal influences probably played a great part in what I thought was appropriate even before I actually liked girls. Who's to say my early sense of what was appropriate didn't play a large part in who I became attracted to later own? Again, the mind isn't always controllable and our desires were formed by factors beyond our own power.

Around the Network

http://www.soulforce.org/forums/showthread.php?t=2449

An interesting read that reinforces my belief that homosexuality is a biological mechanism that may help prevent or mitigate over population. Further research still needs to be conducted to truly determine whether or not this is actually occurring on a biological level before birth.

see what I mean, people?

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

@Runa

No, not really.

I think he is right (not from a religious point), the fact of being gay, doesn't should be promoted, because being gay (male homosexual) occurs because of some genetic material to be absent in their Chromosomes while being conceived . And the other way that it occurs (in gays and lesbians) is that during childhood the person is a victim of certain experience that affect its natural "brain patterns", those experiences can be traumatic, or just because he/she hasn't develop a good self esteem is vulnerable to social pressure.

So if you promote this "sexual option" you can make of this something normal, or something natural; when it is not by the reasons explained above.

They should not be able to get married because they would most probably intend to adopt children. And those children having that kind of influence, will have the wrong perception of how things really work.

Speaking on a Biological stand-point, homosexuality is not viable because the human race would extinguish. And If you try to fix that by cloning, there would not be genetic diversity, making the population susceptible to a single, bacteria, virus or disease; having eventually the repercussion of human extinction.

What I trying to say here is that being homosexual is not wrong because most religions say so, I am trying to say here is that from a social, genetic, biological point of view, it is just wrong; and MUST NOT be promoted or supported.

Gay people deserve to be happy? YES; Gay people deserve respect? YES; Gay people should be offered with the same kind of opportunities for success?? YES; Gay people must not be offended for what they are? YES.

Should Gay people try to make the whole world to understand their point of view on sexual preference ? NO, because it doesn't matter what they say, it is wrong.

Jay520 said:
@Runa

No, not really.

You shouldn't do Religion, becuase Religion is bad, mmkay?  

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android