By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Epic: 'If next-gen consoles aren't bleeding edge, Apple will beat them'

happydolphin said:
Sal.Paradise said:
IIIIITHE1IIIII said:
Sal.Paradise said:
Don't worry you guys, we already know the next Playstation a.k.a the Gabestation will have core i7, 8gb of RAM and a suitably powerful nvidia GPU.

That's confirmed? Link?

Look into your heart, you know it to be true.

Hirai and Gaben will save us from the next great video-gaming crash. 

So life like! What does it mean?

Harmony. 

Around the Network

People need smell the roses and realize that apple devices are not a true gaming machine at this point, so there is no point in comparing them to real mobile gaming devices like the PSV and 3DS.

sethnintendo said:
zarx said:
sethnintendo said:
Thanks Epic for making it easy to never want to play any of your games.

don't you mean boycot all unrealengine games? I mean the guy is a member of the engine team not one of Epics 4 dev teams.

So boycott most FPS?  Sounds good to me.

That's a lot of good games to boycott:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Unreal_Engine_games

sethnintendo said:
zarx said:
sethnintendo said:

don't you mean boycot all unrealengine games? I mean the guy is a member of the engine team not one of Epics 4 dev teams.

you know I don't even think that FPS is the most common genre for UE3, I think third person shooters or action adventures are. Hmm I will check I am kinda curious myself

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

zarx said:
sethnintendo said:
zarx said:
sethnintendo said:

you know I don't even think that FPS is the most common genre for UE3, I think third person shooters or action adventures are. Hmm I will check I am kinda curious myself

Yea, I was kind of just assuming.  I know a lot of games run their engines.  I don't think Nintendo does so I don't have to worry too much since I mainly just support Nintendo, Capcom, Sega, SNK, and a few other companies.  I just never been into any of their games.  I was always curious of Unreal until I saw this.  I like how he has to pick up his keyboard though.  Quick someone give him an escape button.

Around the Network

He says this as if Apple's products are bleeding edge... show me a sub-$500 Apple product that can do what 6 year old game consoles like the PS3 and 360 can do.

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

sethnintendo said:
zarx said:
sethnintendo said:
zarx said:
sethnintendo said:

Yea, I was kind of just assuming.  I know a lot of games run their engines.  I don't think Nintendo does so I don't have to worry too much since I mainly just support Nintendo, Capcom, Sega, SNK, and a few other companies.  I just never been into any of their games.  I was always curious of Unreal until I saw this.  I like how he has to pick up his keyboard though.  Quick someone give him an escape button.

If wikipedia's list of UE3 games is acurate there are

TPS 28

MMO 13

Action adventure 20

FPS 28

RPG 11

Other 17

games built on the engine, I was surprised at the MMO number never knew it was so popular for MMOs 

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Epic have been reeking of desperation lately.

I do not agree. Epic is insane yes they are pushing graphics which is amazing but they do not think from a business perspective. They said the bare basics to run Samaritan would be ten times the 360's power. Are they mad? That kind of power is far to expensive for any of the three to logically support this year. Next year it would still be a stretch.

Crytek and SquareEnix and almost every other major company making engines these engines are supposedly future proof and don't require nearly as much power.

Fact the new engine from Crytek is far more powerful then current high end PC's are doing. The engine is supposedly going to run on all three platforms.

The high Dev costs that will come with 10x the power is going to be through the roof. THQ stated a leap forward like last generation would cost three to four times as much to develop and software retail costs would have to be around 100$. Other publishers have commented that Dev costs would be severe if we leap forward like this.

Epic cost Microsoft a billion dollars I wonder if really changed the possible outcome.

-JC7

"In God We Trust - In Games We Play " - Joel Reimer

Play4Fun said:
Epic have been reeking of desperation lately.

Really? They have been going from strength to strength, if anything I think that their success has made them a bit arrogant. I mean they win ether way as they have the best engine on iOS (Plus one of the most popular premium games on iOS ) so if Apple becomes the leader in games they win there, if consoles go for massive power they win as less developers will have the resorces to build their own engines, and if consoles are not much more powerful then but are just as successful they are in the same strong position as they are now. They are also working on areas like Flash/Web gaming and cload gaming, they are moving into F2P PC games in the asian market.

Basically Epic are in one of the strongest positions in the industry, covered for whatever direction the industry goes in. They have a finger in every pot and they have the advantage of most developers are familiar with their engine and tools because their deals with teaching institutions and giving free access to the UDK to indie devs.

@TheVoxelman on twitter