By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - New iPad and PS Vita specs

Rath said:
Without a good control scheme and without a decent game library it still cannot be considered a proper competitor to a dedicated gaming device.

The more I think about it the more I think you are wrong! The ipad has a great selection of games, and franchises. It could probably beat out the Vita gamewise at least for the moment. It has a lot of big names; Mass effect, Metal Gear, Megaman, Dead Space, Civilization, Minecraft, Mirror's Edge. and Final Fantasy. As well as a couple ios only franchises. The controls take a bit of a learning curve but they aren't bad by any means. I don't see any reason why it can't be considered competition to the 3DS and Vita 

Around the Network

I use my ipad purely for my education, work and possible sketching. Gaming is absolutely abysmal on the thing. Even when core games such as GTA3 are on it, the controls are a mess and make the experience void of any satisfaction and enjoyment. If you love the touch controls for more traditional games such as GTA3 then you're arguably a masochistic individual. Even tried playing one of my favourites Shining Force since it was a dollar, all I'll say is tactile buttons are a necessity for certain games.

Touch controls can definitely complement games, and you can have purely touch based games such as say Canvas Curse, but a device that has no tactile buttons can't provide you with a well rounded gaming experience. Vita is clearly for gaming and the ipad is clearly for more professional functions with gaming as subaltern. Whether one enjoyed Infinity Blade for 1000 hours is irrelevant in this distinction.

superchunk said:

This NOT a iPad gaming vs Vita gaming or which is better for games comparison. I am showing the comparison as further support for my argument on why Vita should have been a smarthone.

Please read the text below the table for better understanding.

PSVita New iPad
CPU ARM9 Quad Core
800Mhz to 1.2Ghz
ARM 9 Dual Core
800MHz to 1Ghz
GPU PowerVR SGX543MP4+
Quad-Core
Quad-Core chip… probably same or better than Vita's GPU, but actual spec isn't released yet. iPad 2 was the PowerVR SGX543MP2.
Memory 512 MB RAM, 128 MB VRAM 1GB RAM… probably shared
Resolution 5" 960 × 544 qHD @ 220 ppi 9.1" 2048 x 1536 @ 264 ppi
Cameras Front and Back 0.3MP (not HD) Front VGA and Back 5MP HD
Storage 16GB PSVita Card ($60) 16GB
Connectivity Wifi, Bluetooth, 3G to locked carriers (no multiplayer gaming) Wifi, Bluetooth, 4G to almost any carrier and full online everthing.
Other Benefits Real gaming controls, Back touch panel, Sony 1st party games, ?? Full tablet/computer with superb apps and really anything including games. (obviously worse controls)
Price (MSRP) Wifi $310 and 3G $360  Wifi $500 and 4G $630
  *4GB card is only $20  

Take a real good look at those differences. The new iPad is releasing a mere couple of months after Sony's premier handheld and its pretty much at par with every spec if not better in some areas. Overall the only real difference in relation to gaming is iPad's lack of controls and its $200 higher price tag. However, given its far wider mass appeal and capabilities, people will spend the money on it FAR more than they will on the Vita.

Now, taking this into consideration. My THREAD ON VITA SHOULD BE A SMARTPHONE makes a lot more sense doesn't it?

Think about it. Vita with FULL smartphone/tablet capabilites also running Android with its apps AND the even better pricing due to carrier contracts or same price off contract... it would be flying off shelves right now and selling for a profit without any accessories. Hell, they could have built in 16GB of storage and used regular SD cards for expansion as security could be handled on the units storage.

Sony fucked up and only the 3DS will be long-term success this time around due to far cheaper price and Nintendo software.

Considering the fact that tablet and smartphone games are cheap, developpers won't spend a big budget so they can't do better graphic than PSVita.

Smartphone and Tablet  can"t compeate with handheld in gaming domain.

PS4 - over 100 millions let's say 120m
Xbox One - 70m
Wii U - 25m

Vita - 15m if it will not get Final Fantasy Kingdoms Heart and Monster Hunter 20m otherwise
3DS - 80m

rocketpig said:

Ding ding ding. I think this is the key. There's no market for the Vita because that market has been consumed by tablets and phones. I think even the 3DS will feel pressure from this market though as you said, its effects will not be nearly as great.

A year ago, I predicted the Vita to have a very short, brutal life. I see nothing to change that opinion today.

And if it was a smartphone that lost none of its very capable gaming aspects?

If you could buy one for $200 on contract like all other smartphones? (or less on sale as it defintely would be soon)

w/ built in 16gb and a slider form factor or course.

Dark_Lord_2008 said:
I would like to see how the New IPad specs match up against the IPad 2 specs. Is it worth upgrading from IPad 2 to the New IPad or just wait?

If I were in your shoes, I'd wait. The only difference is visual clarity really. CPU is the same and overall feature set is the same.

Around the Network
brendude13 said:
superchunk said:
NYANKS said:
Won't the iPad not be optimized for game playing though? I thought even though the specs are almost as good as Vita, that it's actual ability would show a definite difference, since all of Vita's horsepower is focused on one thing, games.

My point isn't that the new iPad is a games console, just that these devices are already passing Vita and by end of this year will be superior in all technical ways (less controls of course).

This is why I'm pushing the idea that Vita should have just been a phone/tablet to actually match all of their benefits as well as provide the superior controls. Then even with that business model, Sony could easily afford to put out a new Vita every other or less, like phone companies, to stay ahead of the curve.

All consoles tend to be considered dated a year after they come out, Crysis released just one year after the PS3 came out and put the graphics of console games to shame, still, not many people cared. I think after the huge successes that the PS2 and the Wii were, SONY, Ninty (they got the point way back in 2006) and MS have finally gotten the point that the mass market doesn't care about how powerful hardware is. Putting lower power hardware into their systems will result in a lower price, a higher profit and more regular generation cycles.

I agree about making the Vita like a smartphone though, they shouldn't market it as one, but they should add smartphone capabilities. When I played the Vita last week, I was surprised by how much it felt like a smartphone, the user interface and reliance on the touch screen made it feel like an iPod / iPhone. I'm ashamed to say I loved it though, using the touchscreen felt so fluid and the UI was streamlined, if you don't want a certain application or game on the home screen, remove it. The UI could be extremely useful at integrating applications.

Sony should actually make some use of the 3G and include the ability to make phone calls in the 3G package, as well as release applications on the PS store, Google Earth was a great start. Gaming machine first, multi-tasking device (I refuse to call it a smart phone ) second.

EDIT: Oh, and lastly, the iPad doesn't come close to being half the gaming machine either the Vita or the 3DS are...buttons 4 life!

I agree with this guy.

superchunk i would just like to say that you have not pointed out how the PSV is being overlapped by tablets tec wise.

The ipad 3 just got announced and the PSV is stil the most powerfull mobile device around. To me that is amazing as apple are usually the leaders when it comes to releasing new tec. Im going to bet apple will release a quad core ipad in the next year. Only then will they be up to scratch with the tec in PSV. Thats a year of being on the bleeding edge of mobile technology! Im pretty sure most people wernt expecting this. And just to reiterate what i said in my previous post most tablets are using nvidias tegra 3 tec, which is relatively new from nvidia. And is no where close to the power of the PSV. So really only in the next wave of tablets which will be next year round about this time will we see manufacturers surpass the PSV in terms of tec.

That is a year and half of relevance with an additional year of being in the same ballpark as others. Only then in the following year will the PSV really start to show its age. Im basing this on the current trends, when many have predicted things will begin to slow down in the coming years.

Not to mention the exagerated growth some tec companies are touting...nvidia failed dismally to meet its required performance with tegra 3.

I know you said this wasnt the focus of the OP but i just felt i should comment on this again.

Intel Core i7 3770K [3.5GHz]|MSI Big Bang Z77 Mpower|Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866 2 x 4GB|MSI GeForce GTX 560 ti Twin Frozr 2|OCZ Vertex 4 128GB|Corsair HX750|Cooler Master CM 690II Advanced|

Shinobi-san said:
superchunk i would just like to say that you have not pointed out how the PSV is being overlapped by tablets tec wise.

The ipad 3 just got announced and the PSV is stil the most powerfull mobile device around. To me that is amazing as apple are usually the leaders when it comes to releasing new tec. Im going to bet apple will release a quad core ipad in the next year. Only then will they be up to scratch with the tec in PSV. Thats a year of being on the bleeding edge of mobile technology! Im pretty sure most people wernt expecting this. And just to reiterate what i said in my previous post most tablets are using nvidias tegra 3 tec, which is relatively new from nvidia. And is no where close to the power of the PSV. So really only in the next wave of tablets which will be next year round about this time will we see manufacturers surpass the PSV in terms of tec.

That is a year and half of relevance with an additional year of being in the same ballpark as others. Only then in the following year will the PSV really start to show its age. Im basing this on the current trends, when many have predicted things will begin to slow down in the coming years.

Not to mention the exagerated growth some tec companies are touting...nvidia failed dismally to meet its required performance with tegra 3.

I know you said this wasnt the focus of the OP but i just felt i should comment on this again.

Actually, Android OEMs have put out more powerful hardware before iDevice over the last few iterations. Android already has quad-core phones and tablets announced and releasing... cpu and gpu. Androids also generally have more RAM. Difference is Apple is still king of developer support.

In the next few months Vita will be matched on the hardware front, from both new Android devices and iPhone 5. Do a little research on upcoming phones/tablets and you'll easily see this.

Then take a step back and see where the tech is going, you'll easily see that from YOY increases, by 2013, Vita will be less than all launching mobile products... high end of course.

At this point, mobiles will have PS360 level games in their libraries and the only difference will be controls. Then depending on the player, will they want to purchase a dedicated game console for another $300 or $40 for a bluetooth controller they can sync with their device. I'll definitely snag one of my PS3 controllers for my Android device. Additionally, the game may be somewhat cheaper due to digital distribution. So maybe $40 vs $50/60.

superchunk said:
Shinobi-san said:

Actually, Android OEMs have put out more powerful hardware before iDevice over the last few iterations. Android already has quad-core phones and tablets announced and releasing... cpu and gpu. Androids also generally have more RAM. Difference is Apple is still king of developer support.

In the next few monts Vita will be matched on the hardware front. Do a little research on upcoming phones/tablets and you'll easily see this.

Then take a step back and see where the tech is going, you'll easily see that from YOY increases, by 2013, Vita will be less than all launching mobile products... high end of course.

At this point, mobiles will have PS360 level games in their libraries and the only difference will be controls. Then depending on the player, will they want to purchase a dedicated game console for another $300 or $40 for a bluetooth controller they can sync with their device. I'll definitely snag one of my PS3 controllers for my Android device. Additionally, the game may be somewhat cheaper due to digital distribution. So maybe $40 vs $50/60.

I have done the research. You do know that tegra3 has a quad core cpu based on the same cpu as vita but doesnt really come close to overall performance of the PSV/ipad? I dont get your emphasis on core count, it says nothing of actual performance. Actually im pretty sure the tegra 3 has a 12 core gpu as well! Other competing technologies like the S4 from snapdragon are mostly dual core cpu's this year as well, and are in the same ball park as tegra 3 in terms of gaming performance (tegra 3 gpu> most adreno based gpus). Its not all about core count.

Those are the prominent technologies at the moment in highend android smartphones/tablets, and if you look at the roadmaps of nvidia and qualcomm, their next iterations are due next year only. And even then, the promises that they make in terms of performance gains or even release dates is not a sure thing. AS we see with tegra 3 underperforming.

Im not saying the PSV is waaaay ahead of the rest, but what im saying is that it is ahead at the moment (especially in terms of gaming performance), im also saying that in the next year the PSV's chipset will stil be relevant, id imagine quad core cpu/gpu combinations will only become the norm then. And in the following year the psv will be overtaken, possible in that same year. My main point was that your statement about tablets already overlapping psv tec wise is simply not true at this point in time. Hell the new ipad hasnt even released yet.

Intel Core i7 3770K [3.5GHz]|MSI Big Bang Z77 Mpower|Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866 2 x 4GB|MSI GeForce GTX 560 ti Twin Frozr 2|OCZ Vertex 4 128GB|Corsair HX750|Cooler Master CM 690II Advanced|

Really I never use it. My iPhone does everything my iPad does, and a little bit better. Everyone I k ow who has owned one either never uses it or has sold it for a laptop. iPads are pointless for the average person. Some people it does help in thier jobs, sure. My phone or my vita are both better devices than an iPad. At least they are more comfortable to hold while laying in bet browsing the Internet. I wish I'd gotten a decent laptop instead of the iPad, money better spent.