By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Most Overrated Series?**UPDATE**

Mario, Battlefield (Its nowhere near as good as Call of Duty 4 was), Gears of War, God of War, etc.

Around the Network

Every series you like and I also hate.

Pixel Art can be fun.

I don't think Halo games are overrated, I played Halo 1 and 2 on PC and both had good and addictive single player and multi player. Unfortunately the series is now console exclusive so I couldn't play the last games since I don't own a Xbox360.

OT: Last 3 Tomb Raider Games.

Devil May Cry, Final Fantasy, Zelda.

Mass Effect series I just dont get it, I played and finished ME2 and all that happened was me going all over the galaxy to get squad members to me thats just boring, yes some of the characters storys are somewhat interesting but I really dont care about them. The gameplay can go from decent to dreadful the main characters controls like a PS Home avatar with the personality of a sponge. Of course this is just my opinion.

Around the Network

COD, it is fun and i do pull out Black Ops once in a blue, but the changes are not that much that we have to have a new installment every year and the DLC is way overpriced

Pokemon, went downhill after Gold/Silver IMHO. The pokemon themselves have gotten worst

No More Heroes, people like these games??? OK

hater lol

xKratosWitAGunx said:

Which gaming series do you think is the MOST overrated? & include reasoning.

Without a doubt on my mind it goes to Halo. why you ask? welll.....

Halo: Combat Evolved
Halo 2
Halo 3
Halo Wars
Halo 3: ODST
Halo Reach

Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary

TBR: Halo 4,5,6

I'm completely convinced that the Halo series is the most overrated, it seems that you can put the name Halo on any game and immediately sell well. Which unfortunately some people think that sales=quality

Just no. You didn't even give a good reason why it's overrated besides it sells well(terrible reason btw). It really makes me question how much you have actually played of the series. If you give a good solid reason I'll let you pass, but the reason has to do with the actually game(s) themselves for example gameplay, not sales.    

More OT: Imo there really isn't any franchise that is overrated besides COD games released after 4. Mainly because there was little change after that, shorter campaigns, and killstreaks became lame. Also COD Elite is a ripoff(Halo's had the same stuff for years for free).There are other game series themselves that I don't like, but I wouldn't call them overrated just not my cup of tea.     

Uncharted
Call of Duty
Killzone

Mass Effect 2 comes to mind, nothing like a TPS with dialogue options and a non-existent story padded by loyalty missions for characters you may never use or see again. Though ME3 has exceeded my expectations so far, it may come crashing down come the ending of the game.

Metroid. Incredibly inconsistent franchise. Prime 1 is an incredible game, 2 and 3 are horribly flawed titles as is Prime Hunters. Super Metroid is a classic which spawned a niche genre, Fusion's quality on the other hand is debatable. The less said about Other M the better.

Elders Scrolls. Seems this series gets better critic scores the more RPG elements and depth you take out of the franchise per entry. Mix that in by appealing to the casual CoD crowd and you get terrible memes that have no business existing and games that only deserve the GOTY label once you've modded the living crap out of them. I honestly cannot enjoy Vanilla Oblivion and Skyrim, yet I can enjoy Vanilla Morrowind since it has all that depth its sequels were missing.

3D Mario games. This is purely just fuelled by nostalgia but SM3DL and Galaxy 2 really got under my skin.

Then you have the common offenders such as CoD, Halo and GTA that believe improving the franchise means taking out features and plugging the leakage with ancillary new features to the overall package. I could just be being a little harsh towards GTA due to how much of a downgrade GTA4 was over San Andreas.

Borderline offenders are Uncharted, Gears of War, God of War, MGS, 3D LoZ titles, though these are well made games they have reached the stage where one could label them as 'formulaic'.

My body is ready.