By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Are the Vita commercials lying to the public?

RolStoppable said:
brendude13 said:

They brag about amazing graphics while showing 10 seconds of CG, then they shrink the screen so it's very small and decide to show gameplay. Also, you can't exactly prove that a console has bad graphics, but the consensus is that the 3DS's graphics are sub par. I know they aren't exactly going to say "it has mediocre graphics", but if they don't have it, then they shouldn't flaunt it.

Then they brag about monumental titles and then show 2 unreleased games, only one of which had print below it saying it wasn't out yet. This advert was shown around the 3DS' launch, but they might have edited Zelda out back then, I'm not sure. This was also shown around the time that the 3DS's was being criticised for having "no gaemz" and a horrible launch line-up. Once again, they aren't exactly going to trash their own system, but if they don't have it, then they shouldn't flaunt it.

Then they brag about "breakthrough hardware", while games and graphics are subjective, this is something that be disproven.

break·through/ˈbrākˌTHro͞o/

Noun:
  1. A sudden, dramatic, and important discovery or development, esp. in science.
  2. A significant and dramatic overcoming of a perceived obstacle, allowing the completion of a process.
They brag about breakthrough hardware, despite the fact that all of the important components are years old, the graphics chip is from 2005 and the technology used in the 3D screen, which is what they seemed to be hinting at, has existed for years now and had already been applied in some phones.
Basically, that advert just goes through almost every aspect of the console and says "Yep, it's pretty much perfect", which isn't only arrogant, but also far from the truth, especially at the time the advert was released. The main focus of the advert was on the hardware, which is easily the 3DS's weakest aspect, and yet Nintendo keep making the console out to be something it's not. It might not seem so bad now that Nintendo has dropped the price and people are now satisfied with the games, but this advert was shown just after the 3DS's launch and it built up a very misleading image of what the console was.
It's like advertising a Citreon as a supercar, you can't exactly prove that it isn't a supercar as the term "supercar" is objective, even if you know it isn't one, and even if it might do other things well.
Anyway, enough about the 3DS's commercial, I just forgot to (or didn't feel comfortable) making a thread on that advert and thought this would be a good time to slip this in.

This commercial was first shown around the time of the major price cut and its message was: "This is not DS, this is Nintendo 3DS." Highlighting what's new about the system, because Nintendo thought that consumers might not have known that this is their next generation handheld, but instead just another revision of the DS. This commercial was the start to what was basically a relaunch of the system.

So they talk about amazing graphics which the 3DS has compared to the DS.

They only show one unreleased game and that is labeled as such.

Definition #2 for breakthrough fits Nintendo's line of thought. They had planned to bring stereoscopic 3D to the masses since a long time and the 3DS is the first gaming system to do so with feasible production costs.

The main focus of the commercial was the hardware, because Nintendo wanted to make it clear that this is not another revision of the DS.

All of your criticism is grounded in completely false assumptions.

Quoting Rol for truth. Your post is embarassing brendude. You literally have no idea what you are talking about. To add to what Rol said. When this commerical aired the competing handhelds were the PSP and DS. I would say the 3DS most definitely has amazing next gen graphics compared to them. 

To my knowledge the 3DS is still the only portable device with 3D built in in the UK. So yes it's breakthrough. 

The one unreleased title is clearly labeled. 

Also they don't shrink the screen until it's very small, the image was often still FAR bigger than on a 3DS. This ad was for TV. It is common practice for advertising handheld games on tv to show them on the handheld itself as blowing up an image meant for a small screen to fill 20inch + TVs is not a good idea. 

Turkish says and I'm allowed to quote that: Uncharted 3 and God Of War 3 look better than Unreal Engine 4 games will or the tech demo does. Also the Naughty Dog PS3 ENGINE PLAYS better than the UE4 ENGINE.

Around the Network

Only have a few minutes before I get on the road--my sis is having a baby today!  I just wanted to clarify a few things in this thread:

1.  One guy said he read the description under the video so he knew that the 3G wasn't for gaming.  That's cool.  Unfortunately, I saw the commercial in the OP on television.  It showed multiple times during WWE last night.  No comments when you're watching TV.

2. People say "it's clearly for leaderboards" but they never even show a leaderboard throughout the whole commercial!

3.  People have mentioned that "They don't mention the PS3 in the commercial".  True.  I never said they did.  I said people on my job think they can play cross platform with the PS3. 

4.  There's another ad that I didn't post.  It shows some guy playing a game on his PS3 and then leaving the house and playing it on his PSV.  It says "your PS3 stays home but your game goes with you" or something.  I know that you can do this with MGS Peacewalker on the PS3/PSP but I don't know if this is being done on the Vita just yet--and I own a Vita!!

5.  I didn't fail to research MvC3.  I DIDN'T WANT MvC3!!  It was an impulse buy that I immediately regretted.  Before I even got home from the store, I googled it (I often do this with games I buy as I wait to get home to play it) and one of the first sites that popped up mentioned that you could play the PSV version if you buy the PS3 version.  I was pissed because I would have just bought the PS3 version and gotten the Vita version for free.  Turned out, the site was wrong.  Somebody else in the thread said that MvC3 was one of the "Cross Platform games".  I tried to clarify by saying that it wasn't.  Only the DLC is "Cross Platform".  Anyway, I'd never buy the DLC because it's all on the disc AND the cartridge.  Capcom sucks.  Unfortunately, Capcom is awesome.  In the last two months, I've bought Asura's Wrath (love it!), Resident Evil Revelations (LOVE IT!), and UMvC3 (Haven't really played it yet.  Not even a match.  Just training mode).

6.  I haven't liked a Wipeout game since Wipeout XL on the PS1--and even then, I think I liked it because magazines told me I was supposed to like it.  I didn't really have fun with it.

Hope this clears things up for you guys.

Anyway, a commercial that shows a game that looks like a multiplayer TPS with guys appearing to play against each other on buses, streets, rooftops, etc.  Just doesn't seem honest.  Yeah, Sony never says "Yeah, you're going to be playing online multi-player" but it's sorta implied.  Not in a fantastical exaggerated way like those crying baby Cell commercial or in a creative way like an Orbit gum commercial or Old Spice commercial.  They made it look like we'd be having online death matches via 3G.  I know it's not possible.  I have a 3G Vita (it was the only available the day I got mine) but I don't think I'll ever even turn the 3G on.  My whole problem arises from the fact that everybody I've shown the Vita to (PS3 owners dominate my job--that's why I got Black Ops for the PS3 that time) seems to think that they're going to be playing online vs PS3 owners, taking their games on the go with them, etc.  These guys aren't forum dwellers like me but they got the idea from somewhere.  If they buy a PSV, they are going to feel cheated.

RolStoppable said:
d21lewis, you should have never bought a PSV in the first place, much less so sent pictures of your purchase to all your 3DS friends. Yesterday I checked my Swapnote app after a break of two weeks and was shocked by the amount of insults I had to send out. It was nice to see though that a lot of other people already called you a traitor or an idiot.

I reported you to Mario.  You're in trouble now, buddy!

TruckOSaurus said:
Sal.Paradise said:

They called it 'Cross Play Content' which is a factual description of what it is: content that you can play on both platforms. They then stated exactly that it is DLC that can be shared across the two versions of the game.

So you don't read the official press release, and then you claim that Sony is misleading people? You're blaming Sony because what you've read from OTHER forum posts or OTHER gaming blogs isn't clear enough? If you can be so misled so easily I think the problem is two-fold.

I didn't buy the game, I wasn't misled and yes I based my reply solely on lewis' account of the situation.

1. You don't check up the facts before your purchase, so you don't know what you're getting. Your fault. 

Don't worry about me, I do check my facts before I buy a game. If UMVC3 was never advertized as a "Cross Platform game" but as a game with "Cross Platform Content" then I guess lewis was just a victim of wishful thinking.

Going back to the ad in the OP, I offered my opinion about it precisely because I don't keep up with Vita news, my perception of the ad is about the same as the one of the average non gaming forum frequenting gamer (who are the target audience of this ad) and that ad is specifically designed to give the impression that you can play online versus other players via 3G which in reality is not the case.

Well said dawwg. Nobody disses my man Truck! Les petits nouveaux, y connaissent pas leur place  

Zim said:

Quoting Rol for truth. Your post is embarassing brendude. You literally have no idea what you are talking about. To add to what Rol said. When this commerical aired the competing handhelds were the PSP and DS. I would say the 3DS most definitely has amazing next gen graphics compared to them. 

To my knowledge the 3DS is still the only portable device with 3D built in in the UK. So yes it's breakthrough. 

The one unreleased title is clearly labeled. 

Also they don't shrink the screen until it's very small, the image was often still FAR bigger than on a 3DS. This ad was for TV. It is common practice for advertising handheld games on tv to show them on the handheld itself as blowing up an image meant for a small screen to fill 20inch + TVs is not a good idea. 

Wow, didn't expect a reaction like that. Guess it's just me then.

As for the other guy saying that it's irrational hate, I didn't used to like the 3DS, but I'm OK with it now, maybe the advert bought it all back.