By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Are the Vita commercials lying to the public?

RVDondaPC said:
The commercial doesn't lie, it's just bad advertisement. You don't want to mislead a potential customer in which the whole basis of your business model is based on having a long healthy relationship of continual purchases. .

Sony lost that long before the Vita came out.

Around the Network
Sal.Paradise said:
TruckOSaurus said:
Ajescent said:
d21lewis said:
I didn't say it mentioned the PS3. People just seem to think they can play Vita vs. PS3. Even in some other threads on this site, people think they'll be playing Call of Duty Vita vs. Call of Duty on the PS3. Who knows? Maybe they will.

One thing I do know--Marvel vs. Capcom 3 is advertised as a "Cross platform game". How do I know? Because, as soon as I purchased the Vita version, I googled it and saw mention that people that purchased the PS3 version would get the Vita version for free. I was pissed beyond belief! Then, I did a little more research. Turns out, you don't get the Vita version for free. You can't play vs PS3 players, either. What they meant was that, if you purchase DLC on the PS3 version, you get the same DLC on the Vita version. That's your Cross Platform right there. Awesome, eh?

One could argue that's once again people not doing their research properly and not reading between the lines.

Yes, dishonest people could argue that.

Sorry? Dishonest? Please explain.

Sony very clearly stated in their press release ( http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012/02/16/3-great-reasons-to-try-ps-vitaps3-cross-play-content/ ) that "DLC purchased for the PS3 version of Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 can be used on the PS Vita version for free (and vice versa)."

Tell me how this is misleading in any way, shape or form. 

Calling shared DLC, cross platform gaming is definitely stretching the truth. Not everybody reads press releases (very few people do actually) and like I said I'm very uninformed when it comes to the Vita but if someone who frequents a gaming web site and is interested in the Vita like d21lewis can be misled by it then you can bet a lot of people will make the same false assumptions.

Signature goes here!

TruckOSaurus said:
Sal.Paradise said:
TruckOSaurus said:
Ajescent said:
d21lewis said:
I didn't say it mentioned the PS3. People just seem to think they can play Vita vs. PS3. Even in some other threads on this site, people think they'll be playing Call of Duty Vita vs. Call of Duty on the PS3. Who knows? Maybe they will.

One thing I do know--Marvel vs. Capcom 3 is advertised as a "Cross platform game". How do I know? Because, as soon as I purchased the Vita version, I googled it and saw mention that people that purchased the PS3 version would get the Vita version for free. I was pissed beyond belief! Then, I did a little more research. Turns out, you don't get the Vita version for free. You can't play vs PS3 players, either. What they meant was that, if you purchase DLC on the PS3 version, you get the same DLC on the Vita version. That's your Cross Platform right there. Awesome, eh?

One could argue that's once again people not doing their research properly and not reading between the lines.

Yes, dishonest people could argue that.

Sorry? Dishonest? Please explain.

Sony very clearly stated in their press release ( http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012/02/16/3-great-reasons-to-try-ps-vitaps3-cross-play-content/ ) that "DLC purchased for the PS3 version of Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 can be used on the PS Vita version for free (and vice versa)."

Tell me how this is misleading in any way, shape or form. 

Calling shared DLC, cross platform gaming is definitely stretching the truth. Not everybody reads press releases (very few people do actually) and like I said I'm very uninformed when it comes to the Vita but if someone who frequents a gaming web site and is interested in the Vita like d21lewis can be misled by it then you can bet a lot of people will make the same false assumptions.

They called it 'Cross Play Content' which is a factual description of what it is: content that you can play on both platforms. They then stated exactly that it is DLC that can be shared across the two versions of the game.

So you don't read the official press release, and then you claim that Sony is misleading people? You're blaming Sony because what you've read from OTHER forum posts or OTHER gaming blogs isn't clear enough? If you can be so misled so easily I think the problem is two-fold.

1. You don't check up the facts before your purchase, so you don't know what you're getting. Your fault. 

2. Reporting of the 'cross play content' was innacurate, despite the official release being absolutely clear. The blogs/users fault.

(Although on the 3 sites where read about this press release, they all clearly mentioned that UMVC3 was only sharing dlc.)

Either way, blaming Sony is just wrong.

Sal.Paradise said:

They called it 'Cross Play Content' which is a factual description of what it is: content that you can play on both platforms. They then stated exactly that it is DLC that can be shared across the two versions of the game.

So you don't read the official press release, and then you claim that Sony is misleading people? You're blaming Sony because what you've read from OTHER forum posts or OTHER gaming blogs isn't clear enough? If you can be so misled so easily I think the problem is two-fold.

I didn't buy the game, I wasn't misled and yes I based my reply solely on lewis' account of the situation.

1. You don't check up the facts before your purchase, so you don't know what you're getting. Your fault. 

Don't worry about me, I do check my facts before I buy a game. If UMVC3 was never advertized as a "Cross Platform game" but as a game with "Cross Platform Content" then I guess lewis was just a victim of wishful thinking.

Going back to the ad in the OP, I offered my opinion about it precisely because I don't keep up with Vita news, my perception of the ad is about the same as the one of the average non gaming forum frequenting gamer (who are the target audience of this ad) and that ad is specifically designed to give the impression that you can play online versus other players via 3G which in reality is not the case.

Signature goes here!

WAIT WHAT.

You can't play any PSV games online over 3G!? (someone answer plz)

What on earth is the point then!? Here in South Africa I've ONLY seen the 3G model in the shops. Who's smoking all the crack!?

Around the Network

The ad doesnt mention PS3, and only says your spot on the leaderboard is up for grabs which does work over 3g. There was no mention of head to head gaming which only works over wifi.

And there are 2 games that allow you to play directly against PS3, Wipeout and Hustle Kings so you wernt lying at all/

It is misleading, and I'd say probably intentionally misleading - but it's not lying

Click this button, you know you want to!  [Subscribe]

Watch me on YouTube!

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheRadishBros

~~~~ Mario Kart 8 drove far past my expectations! Never again will I doubt the wheels of a Monster Franchise! :0 ~~~~

Dr.Grass said:
WAIT WHAT.

What on earth is the point then!? Here in South Africa I've ONLY seen the 3G model in the shops. Who's smoking all the crack!?

No you can not. That's the main reason I decide to go with the Wi-Fi version last minute.

bonkers555 said:
Dr.Grass said:
WAIT WHAT.

No you can not. That's the main reason I decide to go with the Wi-Fi version last minute.

That makes no sense. I can play PS3 online with a 3G connection and it works fine. Who the hell would pay extra to check their facebook status. It's insanity.

Sony trying to deceive people to sell a new console? .....This has never happened before *thinks back to 'in-game' trailers*

The ad states clearly tries to make it seem it has multiplayer gaming. He shoots another character, then glances over at the person on the roof as to imply he just killed his character. It mentions leaderboards and says ''Find a friend, find an enemy, FIND A GAME anywhere, anytime.'' as it says find a game it pops up 3g gaming.

I would say stating ''Find a game anywhere, anytime'' with the tag line 3G Gaming is pretty clearly trying to purposefully deceive people into thinking there is multiplayer over 3G. Also having a look at it Unit 13 features only co-op and that is only over wi-fi. Not 3G.

Turkish says and I'm allowed to quote that: Uncharted 3 and God Of War 3 look better than Unreal Engine 4 games will or the tech demo does. Also the Naughty Dog PS3 ENGINE PLAYS better than the UE4 ENGINE.