By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Official Wii U Thread!: Pokemon Rubmle U coming to Wii U

Tagged games:

What old franchise should Nintendo revive first on the Wii U?

Star Fox 220 47.31%

F-Zero 110 23.66%

Wave Race 29 6.24%

Top-Down Zelda 55 11.83%

Show me the results. 28 6.02%

Total:442
gameheart said:
DanneSandin said:
gameheart said:
spurgeonryan said:

You treat my thread well so I will treat you well.

Pach-Attack - Nintendo to 'Dreamcast themselves' with Wii U

Lol, now he seems to slowly be changing his mind. Says a lot of the bad game companies are gone now. 7-9 million dollars to make a smaller game he says?

Sorry embed may not work.

Dude, I'm really starting to get sick of this imbecile. It was somewhat amusing for a while
that someone could be so damn stupid, but it's starting to get on my nerves. I hope WiiU is
the best selling system of all time purely to prove what an idiot he is. Maybe then he might
finally lose his job, but I doubt it. 

I'm 95% certain Pachter really doesn't give a shovel about the gaming industry with those
    comments.Sometimes I get the feeling, he is trying to convince the investors not to buy nintendo
    stock on purpose cuz he wants nintendo to fail personally.

The reason why the Dreamcast happened was that it was the end of a long line in gigantic
    failures on Sega's part:-

#1 - The Game Gear - A portable device that was a terrible portable device.
    #2 - The Sega CD - An overpriced add-on that, while offering the future of gaming, ultimately
         did nothing for the Gensis platform
    #3 - The 32X - Dead before it released, again, did nothing for the Genesis platform
    #4 - The Saturn. Overpriced and too complicated to develop for, the Saturn was blown out of the
         water by the Playstation mere months after it came out unexpectedly at E3 1995.
    #5 - The Dreamcast. What killed it? The PS2 mostly. The lack of a DVD player also helped, along
         with no 3rd party support since Sega couldn't sustain the system by itself.

Now, if you want to say what blunders Nintendo are from Pachter's perspective, it's thus:
    #1 - Not releasing Wii HD in 2009
    #2 - Not releasing Wii HD in 2010
    #3 - Not releasing Wii HD in 2011
    #4 - Not releasing 3DS above $250
    #5 - Not releasing Wii U as next gen

Getting desperate to be right and thinks he is brilliant

To be fair, Pachter DOES have some points! If the WiiU truly isn't a next gen it'll be left in the dust by PS720! If it's merely a little better than current gen, then 3rd party will lose interest when the true next gen is coming...

Yes, i quite understand what you are saying but in pachter's case there is no "if" in his statement and he talks as if he already knows what the machine is capable of, but truth being told nobody knows where the power of the machine is measured up to, all are just guesses and speculation all over the net. Only Ninty themselves know and few third parties to some extent. So he that just believes in his analogy, has no position at all to decide the power which Ninty is aiming when he absolutely has no information on WiiU's power. And please for christ sake let the machine be revealed to the public first before he talks.

Yes, that's the fault Pachter seems to do all the time about Nintendo: underestimating their capabilities. He really should throw in an "if" there: IF WiiU only have the same graphical capability as PS360 THEN they're screwed...

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

Around the Network
Roma said:
Toxicspikes said:

Rumor: Wii U to be called NES6?

Source: http://cultofclicks.blogspot.com/2012/03/wii-u-is-out-nes-6-is-in.html

You know in Swedish we spell and pronounce “six” as “sex” so it would be "Nintendo Sex Entertainment System" for us here

Ska du följa med mig hem och sexa lite Zelda? ;)

I wonder if ninja gaiden would use some of the new features of the WiiU controller.

My 3ds friendcode: 5413-0232-9676 (G-cyber)

DanneSandin said:
Roma said:
Toxicspikes said:

You know in Swedish we spell and pronounce “six” as “sex” so it would be "Nintendo Sex Entertainment System" for us here

Visst så länge du vet hur man använder en Wii control

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

Roma said:
DanneSandin said:
Roma said:
Toxicspikes said:

Den funkar väl likadant som en ketchup flaska: håll den i ena handen o slå den med andra? ;P

Around the Network
happydolphin said:
Andrespetmonkey said:

The Wii being SD is because it didn't have powerful next-gen hardware in it, the Wii U will be in the same position if this rumour is true. 

Keep in mind I'm speaking from the hypothetical scenario in which the Wii U isn't in the same league hardware-wise as playbox 4 (which is what the "2x as powerful rumour would suggest), I'm not saying anything about how likely this scenario is, not even saying I think it will happen.

Either way, at best in favor of your view Andre we'd have a PS2 to GC/Xbox scenario, where PS2 was the leader by a landslide, and in this occurrence WiiU would be the analog of PS2. Middle case, in disfavor of your scenario (and the more likely case), we will have a Sat/PSX vs N64 scenario, where WiiU and PS4 would be on par (due to budget limitations), the WiiU being the likely leader, and Xbox overkilling with bleeding edge. Worst case (the most different from what you present), is a scenario where all 3 have relatively the same power, no bleeding edge. In that case, chances are of the WiiU being the dominant platform.

But my predictions are a distraction to my main point that either way, no scenario is in disfavor of Nintendo's platform as it was for Wii vs HD twins. That should never happen again in the home console front if Nintendo learnt their lessons (which I believe they have given interviews and all).

All I'm saying is that third party support may be lackluster if the Wii U is dated compared to the other 2, games will look and run better on the other systems, other systems will be able to do more (think of the differences between BF3 on PC and on consoles, this type of thing could be common next gen, though this time between Wii U and playbox4), gamers will notice this, Publishers and developers will notice that gamers notice this, and build games with Microsonys system in mind, and promote their game on their systems. Wii U, not unlike the Wii but not as severe as the Wii, will be lagging behind when it comes to 3rd party support. 

I really want to stress that I'm only saying this from the perspective of the rumours being true, I really have no idea how powerful the Wii U will be, and I do think the Wii U will be a success with or without the 3rd party support, it doesn't need it.

If I had to make a prediction, not based on any rumours, I'd say we'll have more of a PS2 to XBOX scenario, xbox being both sonys and microsofts console in this analogy in terms of hardware power, but third party support will be better on the more powerful systems, and the sales figures for all systems will be fairly equal, all around 80 mil lifetime. But in reality, I have no idea what will happen.

Andrespetmonkey said:

All I'm saying is that third party support may be lackluster if the Wii U is dated compared to the other 2, games will look and run better on the other systems, other systems will be able to do more (think of the differences between BF3 on PC and on consoles, this type of thing could be common next gen, though this time between Wii U and playbox4), gamers will notice this, Publishers and developers will notice that gamers notice this, and build games with Microsonys system in mind, and promote their game on their systems. Wii U, not unlike the Wii but not as severe as the Wii, will be lagging behind when it comes to 3rd party support. 

I really want to stress that I'm only saying this from the perspective of the rumours being true, I really have no idea how powerful the Wii U will be, and I do think the Wii U will be a success with or without the 3rd party support, it doesn't need it.

If I had to make a prediction, not based on any rumours, I'd say we'll have more of a PS2 to XBOX scenario, xbox being both sonys and microsofts console in this analogy in terms of hardware power, but third party support will be better on the more powerful systems, and the sales figures for all systems will be fairly equal, all around 80 mil lifetime. But in reality, I have no idea what will happen.

I understand. The key thing here is that there is a threshold, one that must be crossed in order to be on the same playing field. If Wii U lags behind, but less so than the Wii does (as you said), the real question is, will it have passed that base step. See, the Wii, while being lesser than the twins, never crossed that step. The PS2, being lesser than the GC/Box, did.

So ultimately, I personally believe Nintendo will never allow itself to be in a position where it can be left out due to HW considerations by not making it past that invisible benchmark. So, even if WiiU is less than the 2 others, even at a PSX vs N64 level (at the very worst), it should then be subject to market factors, such as launch timing, price, customer adoption, rate of conversion, 3rd party library, 1st party library, the ability to do more than a trad console can (video playback, apps, media center) and so on and so forth.

DanneSandin said:
Roma said:
DanneSandin said:
Roma said:
Toxicspikes said:

Den funkar väl likadant som en ketchup flaska: håll den i ena handen o slå den med andra? ;P

haha

ja de e väll ett sätt o anvanda den

OT: As for the price I think 350 is a good price but I picked 299 as the other choice was not available

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

happydolphin said:
Andrespetmonkey said:

I understand. The key thing here is that there is a threshold, one that must be crossed in order to be on the same playing field. If Wii U lags behind, but less so than the Wii does (as you said), the real question is, will it have passed that base step. See, the Wii, while being lesser than the twins, never crossed that step. The PS2, being lesser than the GC/Box, did.

True, but we are in a very different time now, a time where multiplayer and online functionality is key, and microsony already have a lot of experience in this area due to this gen and they will invest heavily into this area, no doubt. Both companies have learnt their lesson with pricing and making the consoles easy to develop for. The way I see it is SONY and Microsoft are in very good positions, whereas Nintendo still needs to build it's online infrastructure, which MicroSONY already has, and Nintendo needs to convince and appeal to 3rd party developers, which again MicroSONY already does.

So ultimately, I personally believe Nintendo will never allow itself to be in a position where it can be left out due to HW considerations by not making it past that invisible benchmark. So, even if WiiU is less than the 2 others, even at a PSX vs N64 level (at the very worst), it should then be subject to market factors, such as launch timing, price, customer adoption, rate of conversion, 3rd party library, 1st party library, the ability to do more than a trad console can (video playback, apps, media center) and so on and so forth.

If the Wii U is less powerful, I still don't think their will be anything severe enough in terms of scaling from MicroSONYs console to Wii U that will detract 3rd parties, but 3rd party devs won't exactly flock to it, and gamers still won't see Nintendos platform a go-to for 3rd party. This however, isn't much of a problem for Nintendo, judging by the success of the Wii, and Nintendo has other qualities that make up for not-so-great 3rd party support, like 1st party and cheaper hardware. 

We both think the Wii U will succeed, so maybe debating the specifics is irrelevant at this point. I guess we'll just have to wait and see :P

Andrespetmonkey said:
happydolphin said:

True, but we are in a very different time now, a time where multiplayer and online functionality is key, and microsony already have a lot of experience in this area due to this gen and they will invest heavily into this area, no doubt. Both companies have learnt their lesson with pricing and making the consoles easy to develop for. The way I see it is SONY and Microsoft are in very good positions, whereas Nintendo still needs to build it's online infrastructure, which MicroSONY already has, and Nintendo needs to convince and appeal to 3rd party developers, which again MicroSONY already does.

If the Wii U is less powerful, I still don't think their will be anything severe enough in terms of scaling from MicroSONYs console to Wii U that will detract 3rd parties, but 3rd party devs won't exactly flock to it, and gamers still won't see Nintendos platform a go-to for 3rd party. This however, isn't much of a problem for Nintendo, judging by the success of the Wii, and Nintendo has other qualities that make up for not-so-great 3rd party support, like 1st party and cheaper hardware. 

We both think the Wii U will succeed, so maybe debating the specifics is irrelevant at this point. I guess we'll just have to wait and see :P

Though I agree that MicroSony's Online infrastructure is superior at the moment, for 1 we were discussing graphics (though I think you understood the invisible threshold concept I was trying to describe, which is really the key there so we can move on). Now I'll come to your side of the debate for a sec, matter of constructive discussion.

While MicroSony have proven their Online infrastructure to the world, their architecture is 6 to 10 years old (Xbox live is about 10 years old). On the flipside, Nintendo's online infrastructure will be built on a 2011 architecture, with all the lessons learnt from the past. Knowing Nintendo's ability to breathe life where others do the main offering, we are likely to see a Nintendo flavor to online, with a very big accent on community building (as could be seen by MK7). Also, given 3rd party enthusiasm over Nintendo's online offerings, I predict and expect Nintendo to surpass the services of their competitors, the highest one being Live. I believe the WiiU's online will be as explosive as the Wiimote was for the Wii.

Nintendo's IPs are vibratingly eager to make the jump to online modes: Mario 3D, Zelda, Super Smash (failed with Brawl), F-Zero, Kid Icarus (which 3DS will offer), Metroid, just so many games that could take advantage of online, it's going to explode.

On top of that, with Wii being the dominant console this gen without mainline 3rd party support, you can be sure 3rd parties will flock to them this time around. I personally have no doubts about it. But we will have to wait and see