By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Official Wii U Thread!: Pokemon Rubmle U coming to Wii U

Tagged games:

What old franchise should Nintendo revive first on the Wii U?

Star Fox 220 47.31%

F-Zero 110 23.66%

Wave Race 29 6.24%

Top-Down Zelda 55 11.83%

Show me the results. 28 6.02%

Total:442
JEMC said:

@DanneSandin: RELAX!

You are trying to figure out things that only time can tell.

Stop worrying now. Wait until 2014/2015!

haha yeah, you're right. I'll just get pissed with Nintendo if they screw their chances of getting good 3rd party support again ^^

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

Around the Network
DanneSandin said:
DélioPT said:

Why do you think Wii U will look outdated? No one knows exactly what Wii U is capable of.
The launch games aren`t an example of Wii U`s power. Take out the ports and you are left with ZombiU, Mario, NLand and Scribblenauts. And none of those games was made to take advantage of Wii U`s power.
Now, if you look at WW and X...

MS could take a hit. But even then, they spent a few number of years in the red and the question is: after R&D, all the years in Red, did it pay off? How much?
Sony can`t even lower the price of Vita let alone do another PS3. It would seriously hurt them.

CoD is both a core game as it is a casual`s friend. Even if both consoles release before the next CoD, the userbase will be small and probably sold out at first. Wii U will pose a better alternative.
More, i doubt they will release in time for all the big holiday games. Leaving room for PS3, Xbox 360 and Wii U.

PS2 had the DVD player and that alone was very big at the time! Not to mention it was super anticipated.

Yes, no one knows what the Wii U is capable of yet, and neither does anyone know what PS720 will be able to do... I do think that if the difference between WiiU and PS720 is rather noticeable, Wii U will not have much of a chance selling 3rd party games - and that will in the end hurt the consoles sales. But I agree that WW remake and X is looking gooood!

YEah, I don't think either of MS or Sony is willing to take a big hit this gen; maybe MS, since they seem determined to own the living rooms. I don't think Sony can take a hit of more than $50/console. But will this mean that they can't produce a console that is more powerful than Wii U?

I figure that most of CoD sales will be done on the PS360, and won't start to seriously shift until next year...

Yeah, PS2 and PS3 probably got a boost in sales because of DVD/Blu-ray, and PS4 will not have any features like that to sell it - buuut having said that, they did acquire Gaikai, meaning that game streaming could be a big push for the system...

Power is not the issue. Both PS1 and PS2 dominated the market and they were the inferior console.
They won because they knew how to appeal to the market. As in: it`s all about the games!

If MS does intent to capture that market is now with a high price and a better Kinect that they are going to do it.
Sony will put out a great console. The question is at what cost?

My idea is that the next CoD will also make most of its sales on PS3 and Xbox 360 and for, probably, a short term, Wii U`s sales will be second.

I don`t think streaming games will change anything. Take OnLive`s example. It was cheap but only a segment of the market had the right conditions to take advantage of that.

DieAppleDie said:
CoD 3 sold 2.2 mil guys, the others between 1 and 2 mil
actually MW 3 sold that bad cause it was launched when it Wii was dying....its not a fair comparison
Danne, no worries, both Xbox and PS4 will have a rough start also, mark my words.

that's correct.

DélioPT said:
DanneSandin said:

Yes, no one knows what the Wii U is capable of yet, and neither does anyone know what PS720 will be able to do... I do think that if the difference between WiiU and PS720 is rather noticeable, Wii U will not have much of a chance selling 3rd party games - and that will in the end hurt the consoles sales. But I agree that WW remake and X is looking gooood!

YEah, I don't think either of MS or Sony is willing to take a big hit this gen; maybe MS, since they seem determined to own the living rooms. I don't think Sony can take a hit of more than $50/console. But will this mean that they can't produce a console that is more powerful than Wii U?

I figure that most of CoD sales will be done on the PS360, and won't start to seriously shift until next year...

Yeah, PS2 and PS3 probably got a boost in sales because of DVD/Blu-ray, and PS4 will not have any features like that to sell it - buuut having said that, they did acquire Gaikai, meaning that game streaming could be a big push for the system...

Power is not the issue. Both PS1 and PS2 dominated the market and they were the inferior console.
They won because they knew how to appeal to the market. As in: it`s all about the games!

If MS does intent to capture that market is now with a high price and a better Kinect that they are going to do it.

My idea is that the next CoD will also make most of its sales on PS3 and Xbox 360 and for, probably, a short term, Wii U`s sales will be second.

I don`t think streaming games will change anything. Take OnLive`s example. It was cheap but only a segment of the market had the right conditions to take advantage of that.

Yes, PS1&2 dominated because they had the bulk of the 3rd party support, and going in to this gen I don't see Wii U having that kind of support. PS3 and x360 arguably had the best and equal 3rd party support, and they have sold roughly the same amount of consoles, and I think we'll see a continuation of this going in to the next gen; PS720 having the bulk of the 3rd party support while Wii U is left on the side. This will mean that Wii U's sales will suffer, because all it'll have to offer is Mario and Zelda.

Just take a look at the very recent comment made by EA; they don't see Wii U as part of their internal gen 4; but PS720 is... PS720 will run engines that Wii U will not be able to, or at least not without compromises, and it is this that will hinder Nintendo to get good 3rd party support, and will cost them the generation. We'll be seeing GC all over again...

Retro probably needs the help if the rumors are true that they are making a new engine for Ninty. A team dedicated to that and the others working on their Wii U title.

Around the Network
DanneSandin said:
DélioPT said:

Yes, PS1&2 dominated because they had the bulk of the 3rd party support, and going in to this gen I don't see Wii U having that kind of support. PS3 and x360 arguably had the best and equal 3rd party support, and they have sold roughly the same amount of consoles, and I think we'll see a continuation of this going in to the next gen; PS720 having the bulk of the 3rd party support while Wii U is left on the side. This will mean that Wii U's sales will suffer, because all it'll have to offer is Mario and Zelda.

Just take a look at the very recent comment made by EA; they don't see Wii U as part of their internal gen 4; but PS720 is... PS720 will run engines that Wii U will not be able to, or at least not without compromises, and it is this that will hinder Nintendo to get good 3rd party support, and will cost them the generation. We'll be seeing GC all over again...

Last generation was unique. You won`t it repeating itself this.
There really isn`t a clear winner to be anticipated, like N64 was after Snes or PS2 after PS1 and PS3 after PS2.
It may happen that 3rd parties will be more inclined to support MS and Sony but that may change if Wii U does well in next financial year. If you look at software sales released, you will see that Wii U is selling better than VGC is saying - probably because of digital sales. Actually, the list of best sellers here is somewhat different from the one on eshop (excluding eshop only titles).
Wii U is selling a good number of software despite most of the big titles being ports or even late ports.

There`s more excitement for X than probably for any other game announced.

But there`s more!
Economics. If production costs rise 20% like EPic anticipates, do you think that big projects that fail to meet expectations won´t have a big effect? Look at Epic Mickey: a sequel that failed = end of studio.
The market in the last generation had an artificial growth on both sides. Consoles were so different that it made sense to buy more than one. Something that didn`t happen in previous generations where the winner console won hands down.
It remains, in my view, to be seen, specially on MS and Sony`s side how big their market really is.
If the market grew artificially, it will shrink. And if that happens guess who`s not going to like it? 3rd parties!

EA says it`s not. Team Ninja says it is. :)

DanneSandin said:
DélioPT said:
^ at the above :D

I don`t think any console will be that doomed this generation.
Xbox and GC sold what they sold because PS2 had pretty much every single game except for Halo, Mario, Zelda, SSB Melee and Mario Kart. That was it: PS2 had it all and then some more.
Going back to the previous generation and there is no PS1 equivalent - not even the Wii (not about sales numbers). So i don`t see one console taking off and leaving other eating dust.

But what if both PS4 and x720 takes off, leaving Wii U in the dust? That's what I'm worried about...

Very unlikely. To be honest the Xbox could perhaps sell better than Wii U if the price is right, but the PS4 has not the slightest chance.

Anyway the question about PS4 and Vita is how long and if Sony will survive? Sony is at the edge and the situation gets worse every month. No one knows if Sony and the Playstation brand will be still there in 1 or 2 years.

z101 said:
DanneSandin said:
DélioPT said:
^ at the above :D

I don`t think any console will be that doomed this generation.
Xbox and GC sold what they sold because PS2 had pretty much every single game except for Halo, Mario, Zelda, SSB Melee and Mario Kart. That was it: PS2 had it all and then some more.
Going back to the previous generation and there is no PS1 equivalent - not even the Wii (not about sales numbers). So i don`t see one console taking off and leaving other eating dust.

But what if both PS4 and x720 takes off, leaving Wii U in the dust? That's what I'm worried about...

Very unlikely. To be honest the Xbox could perhaps sell better than Wii U if the price is right, but the PS4 has not the slightest chance.

Anyway the question about PS4 and Vita is how long and if Sony will survive? Sony is at the edge and the situation gets worse every month. No one knows if Sony and the Playstation brand will be still there in 1 or 2 years.

Why don't you think PS4 even has the slightest of chances?

DélioPT said:
DanneSandin said:

Last generation was unique. You won`t it repeating itself this.
There really isn`t a clear winner to be anticipated, like N64 was after Snes or PS2 after PS1 and PS3 after PS2.
It may happen that 3rd parties will be more inclined to support MS and Sony but that may change if Wii U does well in next financial year. If you look at software sales released, you will see that Wii U is selling better than VGC is saying - probably because of digital sales. Actually, the list of best sellers here is somewhat different from the one on eshop (excluding eshop only titles).
Wii U is selling a good number of software despite most of the big titles being ports or even late ports.

There`s more excitement for X than probably for any other game announced.

But there`s more!
Economics. If production costs rise 20% like EPic anticipates, do you think that big projects that fail to meet expectations won´t have a big effect? Look at Epic Mickey: a sequel that failed = end of studio.
The market in the last generation had an artificial growth on both sides. Consoles were so different that it made sense to buy more than one. Something that didn`t happen in previous generations where the winner console won hands down.
It remains, in my view, to be seen, specially on MS and Sony`s side how big their market really is.
If the market grew artificially, it will shrink. And if that happens guess who`s not going to like it? 3rd parties!

EA says it`s not. Team Ninja says it is. :)

Yes, last generation was very different, and the anomaly was the Wii. If we look at all the winners from previous gens we clearly sees that whatever system has the best 3rd party support wins. NES, SNES, PS1 and PS2. And if the market suffered from artificial growth, and the market will shrink, I think it's safe to assume that is because the casuals will be gone, and we will therefore go back to rely solely on core gamers. And if that's the case we go back to the old rules; best 3rd party support wins. BUT, since almost all games goes multiplat this rule is once more changed. So it comes back to 1st party games. And Nintendo rules this category. BUT, as we saw in the GC era, Nintendo don't do to well when all they've got is 1st party games. SO in conclusion; Nintendo needs 3rd party support, or they will sell below 25m Wii U's, and risking going 3rd party themselves. The only thing that kept them from going 3rd party before was GameBoy and DS, and then we have to ask ourself; how much can Nintendo rely on 3DS - and for how long?

Now, I don't really care if Nintendo wins this coming gen, or if they end up last - I just want 3 things from them; quality 1st party games, GOOD 3rd party support and for them NOT to go 3rd party themselves. I don't know how we came to talk about the rules of winning a generation, I'm pretty sure this all started with me being concerned that Wii U won't be getting good 3rd party support, right? At least I think that's where we started... And I'm still concerned that Wii U will be to weak to handle some of the games on PS720...

Duplicated post