By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - HOLY CRAP...car explodes after being hit by a truck on icy highway

brendude13 said:
Staude said:
Mr Puggsly said:
leatherhat said:
And this is why America should never have dismantled its rail system. RIP.

I assure you there will still be car accidents even if there is a rail.

Actually, we need to get rid of icy roads. Global warming is going to save lives.

Global Warming causes more extreme temperatures. Meaning colder winters too.. So more Icy Roads.

But we've just had one of our warmest winters ever and it was blamed on global warming. No wonder many people (including me) don't buy global warming, or at least believe that its effects are being exaggerated.

Warmest Winters ever? You're from Europe correct? It might have been warm in the UK, but the rest of Europe was freezing to death. Heck, even in Portugal we had some of the lowest temperatures ever in some places (-10º C).

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

Around the Network
lestatdark said:
brendude13 said:

But we've just had one of our warmest winters ever and it was blamed on global warming. No wonder many people (including me) don't buy global warming, or at least believe that its effects are being exaggerated.

Warmest Winters ever? You're from Europe correct? It might have been warm in the UK, but the rest of Europe was freezing to death. Heck, even in Portugal we had some of the lowest temperatures ever in some places (-10º C).

Really? We had cold temperatures a few weeks ago, but not during November, December and January.

brendude13 said:
Staude said:
Mr Puggsly said:
leatherhat said:
And this is why America should never have dismantled its rail system. RIP.

I assure you there will still be car accidents even if there is a rail.

Actually, we need to get rid of icy roads. Global warming is going to save lives.

Global Warming causes more extreme temperatures. Meaning colder winters too.. So more Icy Roads.

Global Warming, is known also as climate change, it's the change of the climate, which is accellerated by human hand and, which is leading us into the next ice age far before we should.
Is it really such a farfetched concept that the extreme tear on nature has an actual tangible effect, and that we're starting to see that effect now ?

It's not something to believe in. It's something that can be physically measured. The main group trying to convince everyone otherwise are the lobbyist who stand to loose money if we change things.

The last few winters has been some of the most extreme we have measured in recent time. Not this winter, for Denmark, but a couple of the last ones.. In a row. Same thing with the heat the last few summers.

I don't want to derail the thread though, and I don't intend to watch the video after reading the comments, so I believe we should leave this conversation for another thread, though I'm not really sure it needs to be discussed.. Theres plenty of info about it :P

Check out my game about moles ^

brendude13 said:
lestatdark said:
brendude13 said:

Really? We had cold temperatures a few weeks ago, but not during November, December and January.

January was actually the worst month for the rest of Europe. Not only was it very cold, it has also been a very dry winter season, meaning much colder temperatures as well. 

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

A similar situation happened to me once, minus the semi. Driving long distances on an icy road can lead to all sorts of... shall I say, unexpected events.

Around the Network
sethnintendo said:
Darth Tigris said:
sethnintendo said:

This wasn't just icy roads. The driver clearly went out of the lane (off the melted path on the highway) then over corrected resulting in the first collision then being thrown into the semi. I would put most of the blame on the driver and not the vehicle, tires, or road condition.  This is a good example of how shitty driving can be deadly.

Honestly, you have absolutely no idea what  you are talking about.  You would have been much better off just stopping and asking yourself "does my opinion on this matter bring anything constructive to this discussion" and let it go.  Seriously, have at least an iota of empathy for your fellow man before posting on the internet or even opening your mouth to say something.  Please.

Now is probably not the time to fuck with me is all I am going to say.  I just got done telling someone at work that they were an asshole.  I grew up for 17 years in Ohio and drove through 2 very snowy winters.  I have lost control on ice, black ice, spun out in snow, did donuts in a parking lot which was covered in snow tripping on LCD, drove in snow while on acid, etc...  I went to college at Texas Tech which it snows a lot in that area for it being Texas (Lubbock, Tx, northwest Texas).  They don't even have proper snow removal equipment (even in Lubbock) so I've driven on far worse roads than this. There was obviously a clear melted path on the road.  The driver was probably checking their cell phone or something and went off the lane.  I will stop here and I really don't care what you have to say (so don't even bother replying).  Goodbye and have a nice day.

See, you were doing fine until the bolded.  WHYYYYYYY do you have to be so narcissistically unempathetic just because you haven't lost complete control of a vehicle while driving in the ice and snow?  There is a reason why they are called ACCIDENTS.  Do you honestly not see or understand why it is CRUEL to be this way toward these people and the ones they left behind?  Dude, you're 29 years old.  You're not one of these kids on the site that hasn't experienced or seen much of anything in life.  Does it make you feel better or something to stand above these human remains and declare them bad drivers, thus deserving of the death they suffered?  

The honest truth is that you have NO IDEA what happened to cause them to lose control unless you were in that car with them and witnessed it or possess some supernatural ability or future technology to put yourself in in that person's mind and vehicle at the time of this accident.  YOU.  HAVE.  NO.  IDEA.

Again, stop ... please, stop and FEEL some empathy for your fellow man for a change instead of constantly looking for a way to elevate yourself above them by faulting them for a horrific tragedy.  People died, man.  People.  Died.

Darth Tigris said:

Again, stop ... please, stop and FEEL some empathy for your fellow man for a change instead of constantly looking for a way to elevate yourself above them by faulting them for a horrific tragedy.  People died, man.  People.  Died.

Okay, I will respond even though I said I wouldn't.  I was in a Viking rampage mode earlier today after work since I got into that argument at work.  You are right though.  I can't assume anything, and I do feel empathy for the people involved in the accident.  Even though most humans tend to piss me off I will still stop and render aid when I see something happen.  Recently the day before New Years Eve I had to help a guy out of his flipped over SUV because he took a turn too fast while drunk.  Basically, I am willing to put my life on the line to rescue humans when I see danger even though I have a very negative view towards most people right now in my life.  I know there are good people but I get exposed to a lot of bad.  I am going on a rant now but yes I did cringe when I saw the impact because it is pretty obvious that they probably died. 

Soriku said:
lestatdark said:

Over here in Pennsylvania it's definitely one of the warmest winters ever. We haven't had snow that lasted for long in a while and it's almost March. Tomorrow we're getting something, but it's only a coating to an inch. But the funny thing is that we actually had snow in October which NEVER happens and it also cut power for probably most people over here (including me), and also in New Jersey though I don't know how bad it was in NJ.

Snow in October? That would be a sight to behold if it happened here in Portugal (as it almost never snows, even when it gets to negative degrees). The autumn months here in Portugal were one of the most rainy ever, but the weather was a bit screwy last year.

Current PC Build

Such a crazy accident,poor the driver,he hasn't got a chance to survive.