By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - HOLY CRAP...car explodes after being hit by a truck on icy highway

sethnintendo said:

I love that guy xD. Though his 100 Greatest Discoveries is to me, by far, the best program/show he ever hosted.

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

Around the Network

By the way, the car that got hit was a Nissan Navara:

One could imagine what would happen if it was a smaller car. I agree with SethNintendo...only a tank (or potentially a Hummer) could have survived that.

Also, this seems to have happened in Russia, not in the US.

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

This wasn't just icy roads. The driver clearly went out of the lane (off the melted path on the highway) then over corrected resulting in the first collision then being thrown into the semi. I would put most of the blame on the driver and not the vehicle, tires, or road condition.  This is a good example of how shitty driving can be deadly.

sethnintendo said:
This wasn't just icy roads. The driver clearly went out of the lane (off the melted path on the highway). then over corrected resulting in the first collision then being thrown into the semi. I would put most of the blame on the driver and not the vehicle, tires, or road condition.

Indeed, though I don't think over correction was what caused the first collision. The difference in the friction coefficient between both the melted surface and the road is high enough to cause a natural instant swerve to the higher traction side, thus the driver not having any time to react, especially if driving at high speeds; all in all, it was his own poor driving that caused it.

If anything, the delivery van's driver must have had one heck of a reaction time when he managed to control his car to avoid going into the oncoming traffic lane. It's hard enough to do that in normal conditions, even more with icy road conditions.

Current PC Build

Well the improper use of explosion in the title hasn't reduced the effect of this video for me. That was crazy.

I LOVE paying for Xbox Live! I also love that my love for it pisses off so many people.

Around the Network

I'm surprised the driver/passenger of the car with the camera didn't respond more violently - I think most people would have been screaming as they saw the car lurch over to hit the van on their own side of the road, let alone moving over to the other side afterward and getting completely obliterated

Click this button, you know you want to!  [Subscribe]

Watch me on YouTube!

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheRadishBros

~~~~ Mario Kart 8 drove far past my expectations! Never again will I doubt the wheels of a Monster Franchise! :0 ~~~~

That's crazy, although I've seen more graphic contents. There is a couple of website I visit even once in a while that shows people up close after the accident, and one of them closed.
Either way, am I the only one questioning why the cameraman even put up a camera? or is it simply by coincidence he put up a camera (from what looks like 'seconds' later), this accident happened?

I thought all cars nowadays have ESC...? if the suv had one, it didn't help. R.I.P.

PSwii60 said:
That's crazy, although I've seen more graphic contents. There is a couple of website I visit even once in a while that shows people up close after the accident, and one of them closed.
Either way, am I the only one questioning why the cameraman even put up a camera? or is it simply by coincidence he put up a camera (from what looks like 'seconds' later), this accident happened?

I thought all cars nowadays have ESC...? if the suv had one, it didn't help. R.I.P.

In Russia it's a common place for drivers to tape their trips because of insurance. 

Also, there's just so much that ESC can do in those conditions. We're talking about very low friction roads in which there's little to zero traction when you go into two different coefficients of friction such as those.

Current PC Build

HOLY SHIT!!!

Stuff like this really put into perspective how fast one can lose their in just a matter of seconds.

leatherhat said:
And this is why America should never have dismantled its rail system. RIP.

The info under the post of the video says Russia fyi.  Why would you just assume it's america and make a dig?