By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - HOLY CRAP...car explodes after being hit by a truck on icy highway

That car got shredded hard, but I wouldn't say the truck hit the car, the car slid in front of the truck.

Hope they survived, if not, RIP.

Around the Network

WOW... just WOW! Imagine the Mother of someone who died in that car reading some of the comments in this thread

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’

need to build safer cars.

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5

They didn't had time to even sigh...

But I think even modern vehicles wouldn't make this crash "better".

I had to watch this video a few times over. Insane. Scary. I live in Michigan, and this type of stuff happens often in the northern parts of the state. But I never seen it in person, or sat and watched video. Insane.

Ask stefl1504 for a sig, even if you don't need one.

Around the Network

: (

don't mind my username, that was more than 10 years ago, I'm a different person now, amazing how people change ^_^

Mr Puggsly said:
leatherhat said:
And this is why America should never have dismantled its rail system. RIP.

I assure you there will still be car accidents even if there is a rail.

Actually, we need to get rid of icy roads. Global warming is going to save lives.

At least with rails accidents as damaging as that are less likely to happen when accidents occure with vehicles going the same direction.  If you imagined that video with rails im sure the accident wouldn't have been that severe; just a bunch of bump and slides all spinning forward til they go into the ditch.

But of course they cant have rails everywhere.

kowenicki said:
How can that happen...?

Must have been a very old vehicle for it to just disintegrate like that. Modern safety standards would stop that. But two vehicles colliding at a combined 100mph is never going to end well.

Horrible... really horrible.

Even the most modern and sturdy built car would have a similar outcome to that one. The kinetic force of a moving truck is in a whole different scale than moving cars, we're talking 10^3 to 10^4 orders of magnitude, so the outcome would probably always be similar.

Not only that, had it been a frontal impact, the engine compartment would have absorved most of the shock, but if at high enough speeds, that still wouldn't be enough to save the compression of the habitacle in most cases. This accident is even worse because the truck caught the car completely on the side, on the weakest parts of the structure...only a massive Jeep-category car would have a chance to resist such forces without shattering into pieces, but the G-forces from the impact alone would be enough to cause massive trauma if not instant death to the passengers.

Either way, it is indeed a horrible accident and i'm sad to say that I have witnessed a similar accident when I was a child...it was not a pretty sight at all. 

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

deskpro2k3 said:
need to build safer cars.

That would be one hell of a vehicle that could withstand an impact from a semi truck going at those speeds...  You would pretty much need a tank.

lestatdark said:
kowenicki said:
How can that happen...?

Must have been a very old vehicle for it to just disintegrate like that. Modern safety standards would stop that. But two vehicles colliding at a combined 100mph is never going to end well.

Horrible... really horrible.

Even the most modern and sturdy built car would have a similar outcome to that one. The kinetic force of a moving truck is in a whole different scale than moving cars, we're talking 10^3 to 10^4 orders of magnitude, so the outcome would probably always be similar.

Not only that, had it been a frontal impact, the engine compartment would have absorved most of the shock, but if at high enough speeds, that still wouldn't be enough to save the compression of the habitacle in most cases. This accident is even worse because the truck caught the car completely on the side, on the weakest parts of the structure...only a massive Jeep-category car would have a chance to resist such forces without shattering into pieces, but the G-forces from the impact alone would be enough to cause massive trauma if not instant death to the passengers.

Either way, it is indeed a horrible accident and i'm sad to say that I have witnessed a similar accident when I was a child...it was not a pretty sight at all.