By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Metal Gear Solid 4....what's so great about it? [Spoilers]

Lol @ishiki, diorreah boy, hahaha. to be honest i actully liked Akiba, he was pretty cool towards the end, and it made sense that he had digestive distress.

i havent played it in a while, but i can remember being bored out of my skull listening to rubbish Octacon and Snake would say, that you would forget by the time they reintroduced new points, or reiterated the same points using different words.

as for the gameplay, i can remember it being okay. i thought MGS1 and 2 were more fun from a gameplay perspective because the stealth was much more relaxed and much more fun. MGS3, while it had a great story, i got a bit bored of crawlling on the ground, then activating a sensor then scouting out the area, etc. it was okay some of the time, but it got boring, no one wants to crawl around for hours on end. well at least i dont think they do.

to answer the underlying question in the OP, it has MGS on the box and it was an exclusive. take that away and you have something like Zone of the Enders, some good gameplay elements but the same undelying problems.

Around the Network
Christhor said:
SqueakySamurai said:
Marco said:
It's have the best ending off all videogames. and the best cinematics + soundtracks.
It's amazing.
uncharted 3 is good, deus ok, hitman.. zZz... but MGS 4 is awesome.

Uncharted 3 has much better cinematics, they are actually interesting and actually progress the story. But, MGS4's soundtrack is amazing.

That's because Uncharted 3 has the most shallow, completely face value and flash story in recent years. I'm guessing you think that the Star Wars prequels have great and interesting stories as well.

MGS4 has cutscenes that take 5 minutes to explain crap that has no value whatsoever, Uncharted cutscenes are importanat, there are no fillers or any crap like that. Also, HURR DURR I DONT AGREE WITH YOUR OPINION THAT MEANS YOU LIKE STARWARS PREQUELS AND CALL OF DUTY!

I played through MGS4 not too long ago. I personally enjoyed the story, but as a whole it was a very disappointing game.

Its hard to disagree with the OP. Its a shallow game. I had more fun playing Metal Gear 1, 2, and 3.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

I think the OP and everyone that agrees with the OP played on Pussy mode.

Probably never got close to achieving Big Boss title, because it is likely to hard for you all.

That is my opinion on you guys so, deal with it.

For real challenge, consider playing on extreme mode. There are many easter eggs, weapons and hidden music for your ingame ipod, you just have to find them. However to be fair the ending left me feeling with a wanting for more, but satisfactory and I'm happy with the results.

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5

I will also add here (forgot to place in the prior post) the entire feeling I got out of MGS4 hype was that it served as fanboy console war ammo, in that it HAD to be good, to be able to strengthen the case for getting a PS3. MSG4 couldn't afford to stand on its own merits, it HAD to be more. FF 13 I would also say was similar, until it went multiplatform, then it got dumped on, because it stopped serving this purpose. On the 360 side, I would argue the original Gears of War fit into a similar boat as MSG4, in that it couldn't stand on its own merits alone.

Around the Network
richardhutnik said:
I will also add here (forgot to place in the prior post) the entire feeling I got out of MGS4 hype was that it served as fanboy console war ammo, in that it HAD to be good, to be able to strengthen the case for getting a PS3. MSG4 couldn't afford to stand on its own merits, it HAD to be more. FF 13 I would also say was similar, until it went multiplatform, then it got dumped on, because it stopped serving this purpose. On the 360 side, I would argue the original Gears of War fit into a similar boat as MSG4, in that it couldn't stand on its own merits alone.

Couldnt disagree more, MGS4 can stand on its own, otherwise it wouldnt have sold as well as it did. Same for Gears of War, oh sure there was hype, but not so much more than any other big exclusive. Final Fantasy still held its hype. It got dumped on because it was a dumpy game

I love it how people are trying to creat a lame defense for this subpar game.

What is it 2008 again with the MGS4 hate? Tell us why you hate the Uncharted/Killzone/LBP/*insert PS3 exclusive* franchises instead. If you had asked me before you played MGS4 Mirson, i could have told you that you were going to dislike it.

I disagree but I wont write up a thread about every big game I played that I felt wasnt so great.

oldschoolfool said:
It was the first really big game for the PS3/end thread.lol

Pretty much this. I picked up the Metal Gear Solid 4 bundle even though the only quality game in the series is the original MGS (and even then you can do much better for stealth games).

I honestly don't know how anyone could enjoy this game without having played the entire Metal Gear Saga and being well versed in the lore of the series. Even having done that, I had a hard time getting into MGS4.

In regards to the series as a whole, I am not quite sure what major change ruined the series in my eyes after the enjoyable yet flawed first MGS game. There were plenty of mistakes ... bait Solid Snake and switch to Raiden as a main character in MGS2, the increasingly ridiculous story, the gameplay additions that took away from the game (eating food and camo as a few examples from MGS3), and the lack of any real subtlety in the presentation of the story.

MGS at least started out with some charm, but by the time MGS4 came out it developed a deeply entrenched fanbase (fans have a way of making any piece of media much worse), and it was going to sell no matter how little Kojima and company tried. I doubt there will be much innovation at all in the series going forward because just as the Star Wars and the Final Fantasy franchises have shown, fans will buy any product so long as it has their favorite brand logo on it.