By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Metal Gear Solid 4....what's so great about it? [Spoilers]

Marco said:
It's have the best ending off all videogames. and the best cinematics + soundtracks.
It's amazing.
uncharted 3 is good, deus ok, hitman.. zZz... but MGS 4 is awesome.

Uncharted 3 has much better cinematics, they are actually interesting and actually progress the story. But, MGS4's soundtrack is amazing.

Around the Network

Basically everything the op said was spot on.

Here is a legit reply, the Ocelot part is kind of wrong, Liquid Snake DID take over Ocelots body, thats why Ocelot had Liquid's arm removed and replaced with a metal one. Now why he still kept pretending to be Liquid?? Yeah that was dumb.
It was supposed to be a stealth game. No it wasnt the game was DESIGNED to be both if you want to stealth across it you can, no one is stopping you, thats pretty what you have to do to survive the higher difficulties anyway. IF you want to go in guns blazing you can, parts of the game do take place in a damn warzone afterall. They made it that way to begin with and I for one am glad I get tired of sitting on my belly or in some box all the time.

Im surprised that the online was not brought up cause that is the thing that really sadden me the most. i agree with most everything you said

You can run and gun on pussy mode, did you play on pussy mode?

ǝןdɯıs ʇı dǝǝʞ oʇ ǝʞıן ı ʍouʞ noʎ 

Ask me about being an elitist jerk

Time for hype

SqueakySamurai said:
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU! This sums up my opinion on MGS4 completely, the lazy writing, the bad gameplay mechanics, the cutscenes and the nanomachines. All of it. And also, Deus Ex IS miles ahead of MGS4, that game felt more like an MGS game than MGS4 did.

MGS4, in my opinion (yes I had been a critic of the game), is that it is a sign of how the videogame industry longs to be treated like the movie industry, and have a product that is seen as being able to do big storytelling, that would be respected.  I took MGS4 as a simulation of a big box office picture, with some ok gameplay, and a pretty good game.  It, in no way, was all that to me.  I did like Drebin though (pardon the spelling).  I just thought it was high and pretentious hype.  I did still have a pretty good time though, and did prefer the run and gun to stealth in it.

Around the Network

Nothing great about it...easily the worst in the whole series.
The first game to make me cry out of disappointment
If you want a proper MGS game play "Peace Walker" its the 2nd best in the series after the original MGS and it restored my faith in MGS.

Vote to Localize — SEGA and Konami Polls

Vote Today To Help Get A Konami & SEGA Game Localized.This Will Only Work If Lots Of People Vote.

Click on the Image to Head to the Voting Page (A vote for Yakuza is a vote to save gaming)

oniyide said:
Here is a legit reply, the Ocelot part is kind of wrong, Liquid Snake DID take over Ocelots body, thats why Ocelot had Liquid's arm removed and replaced with a metal one. Now why he still kept pretending to be Liquid?? Yeah that was dumb.
It was supposed to be a stealth game. No it wasnt the game was DESIGNED to be both if you want to stealth across it you can, no one is stopping you, thats pretty what you have to do to survive the higher difficulties anyway. IF you want to go in guns blazing you can, parts of the game do take place in a damn warzone afterall. They made it that way to begin with and I for one am glad I get tired of sitting on my belly or in some box all the time.

Im surprised that the online was not brought up cause that is the thing that really sadden me the most. i agree with most everything you said

For the stealth part, it's true that it gives you a choice to stealth or gun, but the fact that you can beat the game without stealthing means that there's a flaw in the system and makes stealth obsolete. Deus Ex HR also gives you the same option (stealth or gun blazing), but that game does force you to stealth at times especially in the beginning. You start the game out with crappy weapons (having to reload after every shot) and very little ammo. If you try to run and gun there, you'll most likely die. Also, you start out with limited inventory space, so you can't pick up every ammo, weapon, health item, etc.

As for the online, I didn't spent a good amount of time with it. In fact, I would always get disconnected from a game upon two minutes of entering one, so I never got the chance to play a complete game. And it was weird at times; I would respawn, and my character would scream and die. Also, I always had trouble updating it, so I just gave up on the online portion.

@leatherhat, I played it on normal on my first playthrough. Running and gunning gave me very little to no trouble at all. In hard mode, I sided with the Resistance to help me battle the opposing force.

I mostly agree, I was very disappointed by it...

No troll is too much for me to handle. I rehabilitate trolls, I train people. I am the Troll Whisperer.

100% agree with the op. The game was complete and utter shit, nothing about it was good. I hated it from start to finish, definitely the first and last Metal Gear Solid game I'll ever play. And don't give me shitty excuses like 'you need to play the others to appreciate 4', nah, it was just a bad game, I played Deus Ex: Human Revolution without playing any of the previous games and I still thought that was brilliant, in fact Deus Ex: HR deserves the sales and critical acclaim that MGS4 undeservedly achieved.

Of course, the above is my opinion, if you somehow liked it, good for you... I'm not here to argue.

Mirson said:
oniyide said:

For the stealth part, it's true that it gives you a choice to stealth or gun, but the fact that you can beat the game without stealthing means that there's a flaw in the system and makes stealth obsolete. Deus Ex HR also gives you the same option (stealth or gun blazing), but that game does force you to stealth at times especially in the beginning. You start the game out with crappy weapons (having to reload after every shot) and very little ammo. If you try to run and gun there, you'll most likely die. Also, you start out with limited inventory space, so you can't pick up every ammo, weapon, health item, etc.

As for the online, I didn't spent a good amount of time with it. In fact, I would always get disconnected from a game upon two minutes of entering one, so I never got the chance to play a complete game. And it was weird at times; I would respawn, and my character would scream and die. Also, I always had trouble updating it, so I just gave up on the online portion.

@leatherhat, I played it on normal on my first playthrough. Running and gunning gave me very little to no trouble at all. In hard mode, I sided with the Resistance to help me battle the opposing force.

as has been stated you cannot run and gun on the higher levels, so no stelth is not obsolete, try that run and gun stuff on the highest difficulty and see what happens