By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Rumor--Suikoden VI for Wii

Bodhesatva said:

2) You're welcome to believe we're all crazy and that you alone have a firm grasp of grammar and contextual implications, but that doesn't explain why we're still having problems. If you didn't understand me the first time, why hasn't any of my myriad, lengthy attempts to explain what I'm saying to you worked? Surely, if that initial phrase didn't stick for you for whatever reason, my later, more extensive explanations made my point crystal clear, yes? If so, why are we still discussing this?

3) I am saying BOTH generalizations are true. The Wii does, generally speaking, have more casual gamers; the PS3 does, generally speaking, have a lot more people who expect Heavenly Sword level graphics from their games.

And I agree that there is no way the cost jump was as steep, but the fact that the PS1 -> PS2 jump in costs isn't as large doesn't change the point, does it? We agree that there is a significant jump in development cost in either case. If so, why didn't they develop games with PS1 level graphics? This is barely even a generality -- past perhaps the first year when developers were still grasping the new hardware, can you think of any games for the PS2 with PS1 level graphics? I can't, but I'm definitely not an expert on the PS2 library. Even smaller, A/AA games with low expectations still surpassed this threshold.

Why did practically no one decide to make a game with graphical power that low? Answer: because PS2 owners had certain expectations of what a game should look like, and games with graphics lower than that would see their sales profoundly impaired.

2) You are still wrong in believing in an artificial standard. You have already admitted (I hope) that it does not preclude exceptions so why do you still cling to it?

3) Can you really not name any games on the PS2 that did not look significantly better than games on the PS1? Did all former PS1 developers miraculously know how to push the PS2 to its new limits on day one? Putting the question differently, do PS2 games at the very beginning of its life look exactly the same as PS2 games towards the end?

Around the Network
Words Of Wisdom said:
Bodhesatva said:

2) You're welcome to believe we're all crazy and that you alone have a firm grasp of grammar and contextual implications, but that doesn't explain why we're still having problems. If you didn't understand me the first time, why hasn't any of my myriad, lengthy attempts to explain what I'm saying to you worked? Surely, if that initial phrase didn't stick for you for whatever reason, my later, more extensive explanations made my point crystal clear, yes? If so, why are we still discussing this?

3) I am saying BOTH generalizations are true. The Wii does, generally speaking, have more casual gamers; the PS3 does, generally speaking, have a lot more people who expect Heavenly Sword level graphics from their games.

And I agree that there is no way the cost jump was as steep, but the fact that the PS1 -> PS2 jump in costs isn't as large doesn't change the point, does it? We agree that there is a significant jump in development cost in either case. If so, why didn't they develop games with PS1 level graphics? This is barely even a generality -- past perhaps the first year when developers were still grasping the new hardware, can you think of any games for the PS2 with PS1 level graphics? I can't, but I'm definitely not an expert on the PS2 library. Even smaller, A/AA games with low expectations still surpassed this threshold.

Why did practically no one decide to make a game with graphical power that low? Answer: because PS2 owners had certain expectations of what a game should look like, and games with graphics lower than that would see their sales profoundly impaired.

2) You are still wrong in believing in an artificial standard. You have already admitted (I hope) that it does not preclude exceptions so why do you still cling to it?

3) Can you really not name any games on the PS2 that did not look significantly better than games on the PS1? Did all former PS1 developers miraculously know how to push the PS2 to its new limits on day one? Putting the question differently, do PS2 games at the very beginning of its life look exactly the same as PS2 games towards the end?

Okay, now you're clearly not reading my posts. This time, it can't even be a possible misinterpretation; there is an explicit, direct and unambiguous statement in the post you've quoted which adresses your multiple rhetorical questions.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

Bodhesatva said:

No, I didn't see that edit! Thanks.

Please note that I'm absolutely not saying that jRPGs are dying, just that they may be reaching a technical ceiling, where increased graphics, physics, AI, and other ambitious gameplay mechanics like "immersive worlds" are not going to increase much, simply because the revenue flow isn't there to warrant inreasing costs much beyond what we see now. I'm sure these processes WILL be streamlined to a degree, as you say, but it seems unlikely to create some fundamental shift. I could see middleware/etc. reducing costs by, say, 25 percent over time, and that would certainly raise the ceiling a bit; but does that really change anything fundamentally? It would just mean the ceiling is slightly higher, but the ceiling is still there, and it won't be going away unless more people start playing jRPG games -- which again, in the last 10 years, hasn't been happening. If anything, it's been the reverse.

That definitely doesn't mean that the jRPG genre will die out or become irrelevant, just that it wouldn't be the genre to be on the cutting edge graphically and technologically. 

I see. Personally, I do believe that the JRPG will become niece and 'die' as a true genre of gaming - Sure, there'll be one or two every couple of years, but most companies will move on to greener pastures with games that apeal to a larger portion of the market while still retaining that which made them popular in the first place.

As for the current debate; I think you are both forgetting that developers will always make the games they want to. Games find their market, not the other way around. I doubt Nintendo will ever make, say, a shooter - even if their current games fail they'd rather thread new ground than resort to doing something they don't want. And even if the company is bought up and forced to do it, most developers would probably leave, or do something new with the genre.

I think graphics have something to do with this, as well. Most developers want the graphics to be the best they can be. If they had gotten it all for free, I'm sure they would have taken it.  Anyway, that's another reason why there aren't any PS2 games on PS3 (and why some developers don't like the Wii, for that matter).

Words Of Wisdom said:
Helios said:
WoW: Bodhesatva is saying there will *never* be a Suikoden-like game with HD graphics - The PS3 and it's games has nothing to do with it. He just used them as an example.

I am saying the PS3 is more than capable of producing a Suikoden-like game without HD graphics.

PC games have been in HD for years now so even average graphics, including strategy games, look a lot better (also put more on the screen) with higher resolution. It's art itself that can be very expensive. I have read this is one reason why most games (including strategy game like Civ4 for example) are in 3-d instead of 2-d.

So why would you make PS360 games not in HD?

Helios said:
Bodhesatva said:

No, I didn't see that edit! Thanks.

Please note that I'm absolutely not saying that jRPGs are dying, just that they may be reaching a technical ceiling, where increased graphics, physics, AI, and other ambitious gameplay mechanics like "immersive worlds" are not going to increase much, simply because the revenue flow isn't there to warrant inreasing costs much beyond what we see now. I'm sure these processes WILL be streamlined to a degree, as you say, but it seems unlikely to create some fundamental shift. I could see middleware/etc. reducing costs by, say, 25 percent over time, and that would certainly raise the ceiling a bit; but does that really change anything fundamentally? It would just mean the ceiling is slightly higher, but the ceiling is still there, and it won't be going away unless more people start playing jRPG games -- which again, in the last 10 years, hasn't been happening. If anything, it's been the reverse.

That definitely doesn't mean that the jRPG genre will die out or become irrelevant, just that it wouldn't be the genre to be on the cutting edge graphically and technologically.

I see. Personally, I do believe that the JRPG will become niece and 'die' as a true genre of gaming - Sure, there'll be one or two every couple of years, but most companies will move on to greener pastures with games that apeal to a larger portion of the market while still retaining that which made them popular in the first place.

As for the current debate; I think you are both forgetting that developers will always make the games they want to. Games find their market, not the other way around. I doubt Nintendo will ever make, say, a shooter - even if their current games fail they'd rather thread new ground than resort to doing something they don't want. And even if the company is bought up and forced to do it, most developers would probably leave, or do something new with the genre.

I think graphics have something to do with this, as well. Most developers want the graphics to be the best they can be. If they had gotten it all for free, I'm sure they would have taken it. Anyway, that's another reason why there aren't any PS2 games on PS3 (and why some developers don't like the Wii, for that matter).

It's possible that you're right, but the market for jRPGs is so remarkably stable that it's hard to imagine for me. Possible, of course.

Suikoden really is the best example; it's sales have stayed amazingly constant throughout its iterations. There's some decline overall, but I think the market is neither decreasing nor increasing significantly.

Instead of being in steady decline, I percieved it as being saturated, with the types of people most interested in this type of stuff all having latched on, and there's really no more revenue streams to soak up. Is that even possible? I haven't thought this all the way through. Isn't it possible the genre will just stay the way it is -- fully saturated -- and not decline completely into insignificance?

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

Around the Network
Smidlee said:

PC games have been in HD for years now so even average graphics, including strategy games, look a lot better (also put more on the screen) with higher resolution. It's art itself that can be very expensive. (I am told this is one reason why most games (including strategy game) are in 3-d instead of 2-d. Civ4 for an example.

So why wouldn't you make PS360 games not in HD.

HD graphics or art expense, either way the PS3 is capable of playing games that don't suffer from such prohibitive costs.

Bodhesatva and many other playstation fans seem to believe that games are required to be costly or big budget games to be on the PS3 and adhere to their preconceptions of "PS3-level graphics."  It is this belief that I firmly believe is stupid however it is also one that Sony has promoted.

@Bodhesatva

just give up man, after reading through all the post(No Offense to WoW) I strongly feel your are talking to a rock or someone with a very low reading proficiency. You have explained your point thoroughly and its not your fault WoW dont get it.

@WoW

quick explaination here

HD console game cost min X amount to make
Wii games cost min Y amount to make
X > Y
looking at the sales # of Suikoden series which sold rather poorly even on a 100+ million install base. This is pretty well known series now imagine whats the risk is like for new IP and smaller developers bring out JRPG on HD consoles?
what bussiness choice should konami make? Higher Production cost on the HD consoles with a high risk of losing money?
or Lower Production cost with low risk of losing money?
(I'm not trying to saying the rumor is true or not, just a simple example)
with this in mind, BoD bring up the arguement games that target at a smaller fan base will likely not get a HD treatment because of the cost to sales ratio.
Then there are consumer expectations, people dont pay premium for SD graphics they expect better, graphics standard is set at certain level for each console. For a game that target a very small base to have the cost of HD make over is absolutely invalid for any logical bussiness strategy.

quote:

Here's a better question: Why do people assume that all games on the PS3 must have perfect HD graphics and be ultra high budget affairs?

-------------

the bad thing is that Sony, unless they've changed their tune, does not like inferior looking graphics on their systems. I remember a few years ago they essentially killed a small RPG re-location company called working designs. WD lost a ton of money because well into the development of a growlanser trilogy boxed set and Sony decided to axe growlanser 1 as it was a psone game, and had 2-d graphics. the team carried on and released it as "Growlanser Generations" which had part 2 and 3 albeit 2 years past shedule and wayyyy over budget.

the tem then tried to release a game in the Goemon series and Sony axed it at the end making the company fold. in an interview with the guy that owned working designs said (from http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3146301):

"So what happened? According to Ireland, it had to do with not being able to obtain approval (from Sony) to release all of the games he had wanted. "If I can't guarantee that the games I personally choose for us to release in the US can actually get approved and come out, there's no business to be done," he said. "I know many of you will have lots of questions, and there will be some I can answer, and some I can't. Sony has made it clear that they do not want the details of their dealings with any publisher made public. Suffice to say that you would buy what we wanted to sell if we could sell it."

this is a similiar story for fans of the tales of series, as Tales of rebirth or any other 2-d tales games never got approval.

I dunno, the reason I got a ps1 and ps2 is because of RPGs, but I don't know which system they'll end up on now (the majority of them) thats why I still have my ps2 and GBA/DS for a lot of games. I also have the wii and kind of see some games coming over there.

Pk9394 said:

@WoW

quick explaination here

HD console game cost min X amount to make
Wii games cost min Y amount to make
X > Y
looking at the sales # of Suikoden series which sold rather poorly even on a 100+ million install base. This is pretty well known series now imagine whats the risk is like for new IP and smaller developers bring out JRPG on HD consoles?
what bussiness choice should konami make? Higher Production cost on the HD consoles with a high risk of losing money?
or Lower Production cost with low risk of losing money?
(I'm not trying to saying the rumor is true or not, just a simple example)
with this in mind, BoD bring up the arguement games that target at a smaller fan base will likely not get a HD treatment because of the cost to sales ratio.
Then there are consumer expectations, people dont pay premium for SD graphics they expect better, graphics standard is set at certain level for each console. For a game that target a very small base to have the cost of HD make over is absolutely invalid for any logical bussiness strategy.

You're the one who doesn't get it because you wear the same set of blinders as Bod does.

You assume that every PS3 game is required to be HD and costly. Therefore you fail.

@WoW
Read it clearly I stated Min.
there is no way HD game have a lower Min than SD games.
as for Max, sky is the limit for any game