By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Xbox 360 tops Wii and PS3 for 1st time in yearly global sales

congrats to Ms on shipping so much this year. They truly went above and beyond expectations.

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)
Around the Network

Congrats to MS for having their best year ever with the 360. Good to see them come out on top for at least one year and put to rest all the doubts people had when they first announced they'd be No. 1 WW for the year so many months ago. (oh wait people are still doubting them, figures...)

starcraft: "I and every PS3 fanboy alive are waiting for Versus more than FFXIII.
Me since the games were revealed, the fanboys since E3."

Skeeuk: "playstation 3 is the ultimate in gaming acceleration"

Darth Tigris said:
pezus said:
Darth Tigris said:
So is this when "just wait for earnings report adjustments" gets reversed by the community ... ?

No, because there will be no adjustments

I have no idea what will happen.  But it's amusing to me how VGC has the 360 at 13.4 sold (vs 14.9 shipped) and the PS3 at 14.0 sold (vs 14.1 shipped).  Yet there aren't 4 threads with 200 posts demanding adjustments and preaching the importance of shipped over sold as there were when the roles were reversed in previous years.  Doesn't that come off a bit ... hypocritical for many?

And the Wii descrepancy is an entirely different matter all together ...

Not surprised at all. This site is majority PS/Sony fanboys so the owners/employees have to cater to their audienc

smbu2000 said:
Congrats to MS for having their best year ever with the 360. Good to see them come out on top for at least one year and put to rest all the doubts people had when they first announced they'd be No. 1 WW for the year so many months ago. (oh wait people are still doubting them, figures...)

That's because there is a shipped v sold discrepancy at the moment: i.e. they are #1 in sell in, but #2 in sell through. If MS ships much fewer 360s in Q1 2012 then MS's #1 selling console in 2011  achievment will smell a bit of manipulation, because what they sold in won't be a true reflection of actual consumer demand in 2011. And in the end it's relative consumer demand for a product that is the measure of who is #1 in a year, at least as far as this site's sales numbers are concerned.

So the "score" can't really be settled, until we see March shipments: If 360's March Q shipment report = approximately normal March Q => MS's #1 in 2011 achievement has no whiff of manipulation. 360's March Q shipment report is significantly < normal for a March Q => MS's #1 in 2011 achievement is somewhat tainted by manipulation. It will always be true that their sell in number is #1 for 2011. But it's significance / importance in the console war (i.e. the war between the companies, not the fanbois) is currently up in the air.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

hmm seems like you follow aaron greenberg on twitter as well? he was tweeting about that and linked it and i thought i could open a thread but then i was like "meeeee noone cares anymore", seems i was wrong^^

Around the Network
Darth Tigris said:
pezus said:
Darth Tigris said:
So is this when "just wait for earnings report adjustments" gets reversed by the community ... ?

I have no idea what will happen.  But it's amusing to me how VGC has the 360 at 13.4 sold (vs 14.9 shipped) and the PS3 at 14.0 sold (vs 14.1 shipped).  Yet there aren't 4 threads with 200 posts demanding adjustments and preaching the importance of shipped over sold as there were when the roles were reversed in previous years.  Doesn't that come off a bit ... hypocritical for many?

you should start one, I bet it would be an interesting thread

Bet reminder: I bet with Tboned51 that Splatoon won't reach the 1 million shipped mark by the end of 2015. I win if he loses and I lose if I lost.

binary solo said:
smbu2000 said:

That's because there is a shipped v sold discrepancy at the moment: i.e. they are #1 in sell in, but #2 in sell through. If MS ships much fewer 360s in Q1 2012 then MS's #1 selling console in 2011  achievment will smell a bit of manipulation, because what they sold in won't be a true reflection of actual consumer demand in 2011. And in the end it's relative consumer demand for a product that is the measure of who is #1 in a year, at least as far as this site's sales numbers are concerned.

So the "score" can't really be settled, until we see March shipments: If 360's March Q shipment report = approximately normal March Q => MS's #1 in 2011 achievement has no whiff of manipulation. 360's March Q shipment report is significantly < normal for a March Q => MS's #1 in 2011 achievement is somewhat tainted by manipulation. It will always be true that their sell in number is #1 for 2011. But it's significance / importance in the console war (i.e. the war between the companies, not the fanbois) is currently up in the air.

Really?  Can you prove that?  Link?

In other news, can someone restate how many country's Sony ships the PS3 to and how many that MS ships the 360 to?  I can't remember those figures, but I do recall looking at it and realizing that these comparisons are anything but apples to apples and the numbers can be bent to just about whatever you want them to mean ...

Maybe MS will delay the 720 after all. The 360's sales curve is completely contrary to the norm for a video game console.

chapset said:
Darth Tigris said:
pezus said:
Darth Tigris said:

you should start one, I bet it would be an interesting thread

I honestly have thought of it several times.  Spending hours and days going back and collecting links to the extreme cases of hypocritical console biases and using them as exhibits in a thread expose the likes that this site has never seen.  But ... then I stop and realize that it would not be the wisest use of my time and ultimately would likely not accomplish anything of substance.

Those ones know who they are and what they are.  My interpretively rhetorical question is a mirror for them regardless.