By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Post-Holiday Wii Sales

Avinash_Tyagi said:

It can be argued that holiday sales are important for the PR bonus of winning the holidays

It can, but why do you think I am saying that a sale today is better than a sale at Christmas?

@RolStoppable : Whatever makes you say that? 

Around the Network

From the retailer perspective, holiday sales are better because they draw people into stores with lots of money ready to spend.

first half year of 2008 no stockpile, would be too expensive

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

RolStoppable said:
Words Of Wisdom said:

@RolStoppable : Whatever makes you say that?

Yeah, what could it be?

Maybe because I very well know that you like to throw out a couple of sentences that can easily be missinterpreted. People start to argue with you, you counter and after some back and forth you refer back to your first post and reveal the missunderstanding.

Keep your trolling to the Sony forums.

My post wasn't that easily misinterpreted.  NJ5 might have been deliberately misinterpreting it.  That would be fiendishly clever of him though which probably rules it out...

So Japan is out, and total sales are 566,000. I can't imagine that Nintendo would have held anything back, so have they increased production already? It roughs out to about 2.4 million a month, if they produce this many per week.

And quit trolling my thread. :P

Around the Network
Entroper said:
So Japan is out, and total sales are 566,000. I can't imagine that Nintendo would have held anything back, so have they increased production already? It roughs out to about 2.4 million a month, if they produce this many per week.

I'd say that from the Nintendo side, they might have held some for Japan and Spain this week, but that's it. Japan because of New Year's and Spain because they give their Christmas presents on the 6th. Any other sold stock was either stockpiled by retailers (not very likely at this point), leftovers in the distribution/retail channel, or increased production.

I'd say we wait a few weeks before declaring anything. If we see a few more weeks of sales above 500k, it's pretty safe to say that production is not at 1.8 million per month anymore.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

+500k week means +1.8million month

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

I am still not convinced that the low Japanese sales were caused by lack of demand...

I believe October is the Month where all of the extra Wii's sold dec(over the 1.8 million production) came from. I believe that Nintendo was stockpiling in October to have more supply for the Holidays, and WiiFit

psn- tokila

add me, the more the merrier.

Yeah, as Tokilamockingbrd was suggesting. Nintendo was stock piling their supply for the Christmas holiday so that they could have more for WiiFit Japan release and to sell that million the first week of December. Plus I believe that they were also routing inventory to other countries as demand was increasing for those countries. November is HUGE for America, so naturally they would want to prepare for that push more in America than in Japan, but when you only have so big of a supply chain, you have to get that product from somewhere....so, Japan.

The earliest is late February, when SSBB sales spike should stop. This would stop until Wii Fit comes out in not-Japan.

Basically January will be the test month where Nintendo figures out its real demand levels. Nothing big for that month besides Christmas oversales. If it's still over 1.8 mil expect a massive production boost this year.

My gut says sales won't cool down much over February and we'll have an increase to at least 2.5 million/month after the fiscal year.

There is no such thing as a console war. This is the first step to game design.