By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Post-Holiday Wii Sales

Will not be generally available until March of 2009 in the US.

Around the Network

As kitler53 said they are going to try and keep ahead of the game enough to have stock for next christmas. After Smash hits in february I wxpect weekly totals to go down to 300,000. That will give them 8 months of holding back 600,000. I would say 5 million is the minimum they will need in addition to the regular production for holiday 08.

To get to the point where you can actually regularly find a Wii they will have to be another million shipped than sold. Additional colors would probably take a couple million units to impliment the switch but they could use the holiday stock to get that implimented.

I say a price drop is unlikely given the huge demand. They said they will maintain 1.8 million until fiscal year ends in March and then evaluate. My guess is they will start pursuing new contracts and settign up new facilities to go to 2.3 million a month. Those will probably come online in August.

Final* Word on Game Delays:

The game will not be any better or include more content then planned. Any commnets that say so are just PR hogwash to make you feel better for having to wait.

Delays are due to lack of proper resources, skill, or adequate planning by the developer.

Do be thankful that they have enough respect for you to delay the game and maintain its intended level of quality.

*naznatips is exempt

at first the sales should be lower. Nintendo will most likely restock the retail channel in Europe.

we also wait to see what happens when Wii Fit comes out......if Europeans and Americans really care about their fitness, just like the Japanese......Wii will suffer from more supply problems.... :p

Wii console: 0595 8808 5698 2709
Super Smash Bros Brawl: 1161 1357 5188

Mario Kart Wii: 1633 4506 4319

PES 2008: 1633 5820 0347

DragonBall Z BT 3: 3823 9760 9484

Pokemon Battle Revolution: 3480 2645 9186
Feel free to add me, and sent me a pm with your Friend Code!!

Stock piling for Christmas is foolish.

From Nintendo's perspective, it's better to get a sale today than a sale on Christmas.

First person who can figure out why gets a cookie.

Around the Network

Wii is a juggernaut and there is no stopping it. It has won this gen and Wiifit no matter how much of a stupid idea i think it is as a fitness tool, it will sell and push Wii sales even higher up.

Words Of Wisdom said:

From Nintendo's perspective, it's better to get a sale today than a sale on Christmas.

Do we have to argue about this two years in a row, even after it's amply demonstrated that they do stockpile for Christmas?

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

NJ5 said:
Words Of Wisdom said:

Do we have to argue about this two years in a row, even after it's amply demonstrated that they do stockpile for Christmas?

No but we can argue about why reading comprehension is a good thing.

Auron said:
Wii is a juggernaut and there is no stopping it. It has won this gen and Wiifit no matter how much of a stupid idea i think it is as a fitness tool, it will sell and push Wii sales even higher up.

Most people who have played Wii fit says it does give you a workout, plus its a motivational tool, because it tells you how you are doing and how far you have to go

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Words Of Wisdom said:
NJ5 said:
Words Of Wisdom said:

No but we can argue about why reading comprehension is a good thing.

It can be argued that holiday sales are important for the PR bonus of winning the holidays

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)