By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Vgchartz ranking game -- The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

Tagged games:

How was Skyward Sword?

GOTY! 80 44.20%

My favorite Nintendo game ever! 9 4.97%

Linktastic! 26 14.36%

Very nice. 20 11.05%

Mediocre/meh. 18 9.94%

Twas a bad game. 9 4.97%

Yes I know I am very bori... 19 10.50%

Total:181
shadowii said:
may i ask waht the current score is?

Nope gotta wait until next Tuesday.

Around the Network
yo_john117 said:
shadowii said:

I could average it out >:)

morenoingrato said:
yo_john117 said:
shadowii said:

I could average it out >:)

You could....but that would make me very angry, and when I get angry bad things happen

yo_john117 said:

You could....but that would make me very angry, and when I get angry bad things happen

Too late, I did it, you can check it in a fancy Excel tab here.

morenoingrato said:
yo_john117 said:

Too late, I did it, you can check it in a fancy Excel tab here.

0_o

Around the Network

Let's see...

-> Immersive controls;
-> Unique art style;
-> Lots of action;
-> Some cool puzzles;
-> Awesome boss battles;
-> More than 70 hours of game play (10 times more than ordinary hardcore games).

So it's basically the pinnacle of games that could be only done in the current generation.

Unfortunately it isn't perfect, for example, most of the enemies don't look evil.

9.8 - Game of the generation.

NintendoPie said:
Conegamer said:

Brilliant game with great controls (screw whoever says they're 'clunky' ;) ), good soundtrack, epic dungeons and a good length. Would've been nice to have more minigames, quests and a linked overworld.

Still, my 2nd favourite game ever and best Zelda IMO.

I'm guessing that was directed toward me? XD

You and Rainbow Yoshi. Not in a malicious way, of course. 

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

I haven't finished the game yet, 49 h in and i have just gotten the tri force, but i doubt my mind will change much.

Combat was interesting, but at times i had difficulty with some moves that did not register, delay when trying to chop real fast etc.
Didn't really like the sky, i liked flying (not as fun as the boat though) but there was far too few places to really visit when you were in the sky. They sky needed some more work, to make it denser like the surface.
Where are all the towns or places you could visit like in previous games? No kakariko village, no Huryle castle town square etc. There was Skyloft and Lumpy Pumpkin. which was disappointing, would have liked more places, maybe another small, sky village, and perhaps some villages on the surface. Atleast Faron woods and eldin volcano could have had some Kikwii/Mogma villages, with maybe a shop or so. Think Ocarina of time Goron/Zora village.

A minor thing, I did not like the loading when you jump/land to Skyloft. Lumpy Pumpkin and every other island did not present a loading screen when you landed on them or jumped from them. Quite annoying actually when you jump/land often.
Same thing goes from landing in to the different zones/provinces. I Guess modern gaming has spoiled me with short loading times/Background loading times or just none at all.

I've read that many people dont like that there are so few zones compared to previous Zeldas. I Take this instead as a very good sign, and i hope they improve on this in the future. backtracking was fun, Instead of doing one zone and never coming back. Only thing i want from this, is that in the next Zelda they change the zones even more, maybe WoW: Cataclysm style. Each time you revisit the zones (story related visit) they script a new change.They did something like that with Faron Woods, but then they got rid of the water and changed it back to how it was.

I Also didn't like that the zones were so separated. They are a lot bigger than what previous Zelda games had, but being isolated from each other makes the game seem smaller. Makes the world seem smaller needs to be less level based and more open. Not a huge complaint but still.

I didn't like Silent Realm, it was too much, the first one was ok. But i figured a different province/different part of triforce would offer a new challenge, instead they reused tear collecting 3 more times. Next time, 3 Different triforces pieces, 3 different trials. Courage trial, Power trial and wisdom trial.

I liked the upgrading items part, but next time, expand on it. At the end i have 5000 rupees and nothing really to spend them on. More things needs to be added to upgrading, I have over 42 butterfly and almost 80 Amber relics, all the upgrading items should get more uses. After upgrading there is not much use for them, you can sell them, but then you have more money than you can spend.

Adventure pouch was interesting, at first. usually early on Zelda games don't have much to spend rupees on. But i think the adventure pouch was either too small, or some items shouldn't belong there. If you take some of the medallions, your shield and some ammo bags (bow, bomb etc.) there is not much room for bottles. Bottles should either be on their own, or increase pouch slots.

I like the shield. i really like the shield. in other zelda games, you hold up your shield and just strafe/back away avoiding damage, until you figure out what to do next. In this game, the shield can break. It adds a little bit of tactic to the game, Later on it gets quite easy to deflect attacks, but at least it's something instead of just standing there.

I like the reduction in overall items link gets during the adventure compared to twilight princess. Some items were awesome, like the beetle, which i used almost all the time, was good for scouting and other things like picking up bombs, hearts etc. it got much use compared to like the whip. I felt was a good weapon, interesting, but it wasn't used enough, same goes for gust bellow, though it got slightly more used i think.. Overall i like that they reduced the number of items and upped their usability in other dungeons etc.

Dungeons, i liked them, they seemed smaller. fewer rooms and fewer levels. Yet most of them, if not all of them, took quite some time to finish add the outdoor-dungeon-like areas to that and he game is just packed with content, and stuff to do.

The music in the game was ok, not great, but ok. It had nice tunes, but no really "Gerudo Valley/Dragon Roost Island/ Link to the past -dark world/light world overworld themes" good songs. Songs that get stuck in your head that you keep singing all the time. Which is a shame, Now that i think about it, Twilight princess didn't really have those either, except the hidden village.

Graphics were awesome, i really like the art style. A lot better than Twillight Princess dark/brownish depressing look. Still i prefer Wind Waker, with its more exaggerated cel shading. That game still looks fantastic almost 10 years after release. How this game will hold up i have no idea.

Still not done yet, will probably win the game tomorrow.

Overall a really good game,Thinking back, i really like this game, it has some flaws but overall the game is awesome, and a great move for Zelda in general. It's quite different from previous zelda games, adding in some new things and improving other things, while still keeping it very much a Zelda game. Hopefully the next Zelda game won't take 5 years to release.

I give it a 9.5/10

PS. feel sorry for everyone who complain about more of the same/ zelda fatigue. If every Zelda game gets released 3-4 years from each other. Then i am all for more of the same.

Conegamer said:
NintendoPie said:
Conegamer said:

Brilliant game with great controls (screw whoever says they're 'clunky' ;) ), good soundtrack, epic dungeons and a good length. Would've been nice to have more minigames, quests and a linked overworld.

Well... I got to this late.

It may have been the way I was sitting. I'm not sure, it just really wacked out on me.

NintendoPie said:
Conegamer said:
NintendoPie said:
Conegamer said:

Well... I got to this late.

It may have been the way I was sitting. I'm not sure, it just really wacked out on me.

It's quite alright. I can understand the frustrations (for example, I disliked how you had to press down to re-centre the controls often, and it could go a bit wacky when it was sunny outside), but I suffered no overall issues with the controls. Returning to Twilight Princess on the Wii shows how much improved the motion controls are, and playing OoT3D demonstrated how I could never go back to 'normal' controls. 

My biggest frustration stems from people who claim that the controls don't work because they were playing it wrong (read: Blaming pointer controls because they were using the sensor bar). 

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.