By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Mr. Iwata Announces 2D Mario for 3DS!

Tagged games:

Zlatan.R said:

Why are they making a 2D game for the  3DS?

I heard that 3D will burn your eyeballs out and not compatible with pirates.

Around the Network

Hm, meh. I feel a rushjob coming up. Sounds to me like they probably haven't even started work on it yet, but Iwata just mentioned it at that investors briefing so the shareholders' minds would be at ease, knowing a big hit is coming eventually... Like he did with that Smash Bros. announcement last E3.

'Oh yeah, hey I totally know we don't even have a logo or anything to show you guys, but really, we're working on a new megahit that's coming out soon, you can totally take my word for it, seriously!'

3D Land felt, looked and played like the designers had really put their hearts and souls into it, thinking out of the box and trying to really bring new and fresh, interesting stuff into a decades-old franchise. That game was really made for the 3DS system, taking fantastic advantage of all the system's unique features. I have serious doubts this 'new' 2D Mario will differ much from its predecessors, or really take advantage of 3DS' strong points. The previous 2 'new' SMB games could've basically have been done on any gaming machine, really.
Ah well, perhaps we'll get another original, fresh Mario game again after obligatory 2D-outing. Probably so, seeing how 3D Land is on track to becoming an evergreen monster hit. :)

All of this is imho, of course.

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046

Excellent news. I figured they'd make one eventually but I didn't expect the announcement less than a year into the life of the 3DS. I wonder if we'll get a second holiday with the Mario/Monster Hunter combo. And then there's still the inevitable Pokemon game(s)...

VGChartz

All the 3DS needs is a DQXI and Pokemon gen VI announcement and then it's got pretty much all of handheld's big franchises on one platform.

My guess is

New Super Mario World Xmas 2012!

Switch!!!

Around the Network

OMG! I'm so surprised at this...

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

fedfed said:
My guess is

New Super Mario World Xmas 2012!

Hmm... My guess:

New Super Mario Bros 3, autumn 2013!

They will probably make a new entry on the "New Super Mario Bros" series. Still, i am hoping for a old school 2D Mario, be it for 3DS or Wii U!

Yeah you are right!
We cannot have 2 Mario game sin 1 year!

Switch!!!

So... Super Mario Bros. 3DS for Christmas 2012 and Super Mario Bros. U Christmas 2013? Oh boy this feels so 1990 haha In an awesome way that is!