By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - 2012 Oscar Nominations

pezus said:

Damn boih! Drive is the best movie of 2011 IMO. So different, so fresh, so good 

Even better than Warrior? :-O. Damn,I definitely have to check it out.

Around the Network
Mordred11 said:
pezus said:

Prepare for very gorey-in-action scenes.  You lterally see a woman's head blown off in slow-mo.  Other than that, expect to watch an excellent movie (imo).

the artist appears to be the media darling,haven't seen it myself but i'd be surprised if didn't clean up a few oscars

who knows with the academy though

Above & Beyond

Most of those films you couldn't pay me to watch. Awful year.

The Artist - Not my thing, not gonna watch.
The Descendants - Looks awful, not gonna watch. No idea why this is getting so much hype. Guess it's 'Clooney's time' or some such rubbish, because they now regret not giving it to him for Up in the Air.
Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close - Hadn't heard of it until I saw it listed. Cheesy but watchable I'm guessing.
The Help - Seen. Was good, but nothing special.
Hugo - Meh. Only on the list because it's a Scorsese film.
Midnight in Paris - Hate Owen Wilson, won't watch, ever.
Moneyball - Seen. Very good. And I've never watched a baseball game in my life. Probably the best film on the list.
The Tree of Life - Looks like a chore to watch. Trailer did a good job of putting me off.
War Horse - Looks like typical modern Spielberg averageness. Hasn't made a good film for like a decade but they're still trading on his name.

And how did Philip Seymour Hoffman not get nominated for best supporting actor for Ides of March? That's a disgrace, he was beyond amazing in that film.

Machina said:

The Tree of Life - Looks like a chore to watch. Trailer did a good job of putting me off.

And how did Philip Seymour Hoffman not get nominated for best supporting actor for Ides of March? That's a disgrace, he was beyond amazing in that film.

Tree of Life was a chore to watch (this is coming from someone who wants to dive into the director's earlier works).  You shouldn't be put off by an actor for a movie like Midnight in Paris.  The whole purpose of the film is really good, considering it's a topic I constantly play out in my head.

I think the choice for Hoffman came down to screen time.  It wouldn't suprise me if Hoffman told me he was on set for the film for a week.

Around the Network
Machina said:

Most of those films you couldn't pay me to watch. Awful year.

The Artist - Not my thing, not gonna watch.
The Descendants - Looks awful, not gonna watch. No idea why this is getting so much hype. Guess it's 'Clooney's time' or some such rubbish, because they now regret not giving it to him for Up in the Air.
Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close - Hadn't heard of it until I saw it listed. Cheesy but watchable I'm guessing.
The Help - Seen. Was good, but nothing special.
Hugo - Meh. Only on the list because it's a Scorsese film.
Moneyball - Seen. Very good. And I've never watched a baseball game in my life. Probably the best film on the list.
War Horse - Looks like typical modern Spielberg averageness. Hasn't made a good film for like a decade but they're still trading on his name.

I agree with you completly, I saw the movie when it released and found myself straining to stay with it to the end, it was a beautiful film but there was something missing, it felt to me like the film that didnt really know what it wanted to be.

PSWii60 owner! woot

Get your Portable ID!

I do not know what it would be categorized under, but I think MI:4 should have gotten something. Choreography maybe? Or how they did the action.

The NINTENDO PACT 2015[2016  Vgchartz Wii U Achievement League! - Sign up now!                      My T.E.C.H'aracter

Never will understand the praise for The Tree of Life. Images and symbolism does not a movie make.

themanwithnoname's law: As an America's sales or NPD thread grows longer, the probabilty of the comment "America = World" [sarcasticly] being made approaches 1.

Mordred11 said:
pezus said:

Yes, most people I've asked loved Drive but those that don't tend to hate it. So either you're going to love it or hate it, with love being more likely :D. And yeah, Drive is a bit better than Warrior imo...mainly for its originality and great soundtrack.

It's not that 2011 was an especially bad movie year, it's more that the Academy can't nominate for their life