By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is Microsoft The King Of Advertising This Generation?

Tagged games:

Gears commercial was amazing. Haven't seen anything memorable since then. Honestly I think in commercial advertising standards, Nintendo/Microsoft started off good, and became less effective, while Sony started off just awful, and has become the most effective.

Around the Network

in the UK Nintendo where the king

i cant even remember a Xbox 360 advert

kowenicki said:
Icyedge said:
Clearly the one who putted the most ressources into it. But, im not aware enough of their campaign to give a judgment on quality.

really?  wouldn't be so sure about that.

Well theres no hard number for this but you think Nintendo put more ressources into it? Why? Just the kinect 2010-2011 campaign is simply enormous. That being said, Nintendo too had big campaigns earlier in the Wii life. Between, I didnt take into account Nintendo DS/3DS campaign.

They range from incredibly funny, to awkward like the open skull ad, down to dull and appalling, but they do it in such a large scale that they almost always succeed, so I'd say that they are king indeed. For European tastes, though, PS3 games ads and Nintendo games and console ads are generally better, while PS3 console ads are generally quite bad, but I still consider XB1 "from birth to grave", XB3630 mock shootout at the station and Kevin Butler's "back from future", that they don't broadcast here, three of the best gaming ads ever. Sony should definitely use KB's most biting ads in Europe.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

kowenicki said:
Icyedge said:

Well theres no hard number for this but you think Nintendo put more ressources into it? Why? Just the kinect 2010-2011 campaign is simply enormous. That being said, Nintendo too had big campaigns earlier in the Wii life. Between, I didnt take into account Nintendo DS/3DS campaign.

Hope you aren't referring to the mythical $0.5bn kinect budget for holidays 2010?  Proved to be bollocks...

Nintendo spent more in the final qtr of 2010 than MS did on advertising in their entire divsion that contains the 360, Kinect etc.... Sony probably did too.

Why do you get so touchy when someone (or more often than not YOU) brings this up? It's pointless information anyway. Who gives a shit about how much somebody spent on advertising?

Around the Network
kowenicki said:
brendude13 said:

Why do you get so touchy when someone (or more often than not YOU) brings this up? It's pointless information anyway. Who gives a shit about how much somebody spent on advertising?

I didn't bring it up... and rarely ever do, the only time I have brought it up recently is when I discovered just how inaccurate this was by looking at the accounts.  I dont see anything wrong with dispelling the myth and correcting factual inaccuracy.

Not sure why YOU are so touchy about it....?  I'll contiunue to correct if it is mentioned again... live with it or ingore it, I dont really care.

You just bought it up there didn't you? I remember you mentioning it in another thread where you said something along the lines of "I can't wait until they bring up the $500 million Kinect advertising budget again." I'm just pointing out that you can't seem to let it go, it hasn't been mentioned in a while and you were just putting words in his mouth right there.

All I'm wondering is why does the budget matter? Am I missing something? Many big gaming websites reported on it, and people read it and took it in. Is there any reason to be so argumentative about it. You were pretty tame about it in this thread, but you haven't been in others.

I'm not touchy about anything, how can you turn this on me?

You can continue to correct people IF they mention it again, just try to be a bit more calm and respectful. I shouldn't have even bothered replying, this is pointless.

Microsoft wins by default due to Nintendo focusing almost exclusively on pushing its casual games and Sony chewing its own arm off.

No, that would be Geico. Between pigs high fiving squirrels causing car accidents, pig singing, "Wee! Wee! Wee!" all the way home, and that gecko it's hard to dispute me.

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger