By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - At $400 billion, Apple is worth more than Greece

rocketpig said:
disolitude said:

First of all, Microsoft had lots of success in the mobile space. Infact they were number one in marketshare in 2006, 2007 and second to RIM in 2008. So this 10 year statement of waiting to something to happen is a little uneducated and ignorant...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Mobile#Market_share

Apple did come along with the iPhone out of nowhere and introduced the idea of an ecosystem which changed the mobile game. Sure, it took microsoft a bit too long to react but they have a sound strategy to build an ecosystem using windows phone, Windows 8 and xbox which has a very good chance of surpassing iOS down the road.

I agree that they took too long to counter the iPhone, but the bottom line is that this was the right thing to do for Microsoft. Just look at Googles situation... They have completely lost control of the Android ecosystem. Amazon Kindle Fire is going o be the best selling Android tablet an it doesn't have a single Google service on it... Sure Android is very successful at getting out there and on devices, but the revenue and growth opportunity for Google isn't reflective of that. If microsoft ever got to Android like marketshare with windows phone, it would be bringing Windows desktop like revenue with it, while ensuring that the experience is great for every device and keeping consumers happy. This sounds like the right strategy to me, even if it fails.

Finally I have no clue where you're getting your Apple/Linux desktop marketshare. My guess is that you're looking at US sales only. Worldwide, Linux, MAc OSX and everyone else combuned are at around 10% while Microsoft is hovering at 90%.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/10/15/windows-7-overtakes-xp-globally-vista-found-weeping-in-a-corner/

As a totally respectable suggestion, I would suggest for you to look up the strengths of Microsoft in 2012 and see where they are as a company. Things like software development tools, cloud services, Microsoft Exchange and Office...hell even Bing, which along with Yahoos chunk is toying with 30% search marketshare, have been huge success stories for Microsoft. And this is all in the last 5 years ...

If they keep going like they are, I don't see them being on a "where are the now" episode in the next 10 years at all. :)

You're totally right. When the smartphone market was 1/100th the size it is today, Microsoft was in second place. Never mind that it was a de facto second place because nobody else was competing in the market and that Microsoft never made any money from the venture, that second place is really worth talking up their successful mobile ventures. I owned two of those phones. They were terrible. People bought them because it was the only option outside of RIM.

As for OS X, I said Apple was selling about 12% of computers, not that they had 12% of the market. There is a big difference there. Market share factors in past sales and overall market, current sales show where the future market is headed. The PC market is saturated, OS X/Linux are making incremental growth, and it took MS almost ten years to create an operating system that could get people to upgrade from XP. Yeah, let's rave about how well Redmond has been doing in that arena as well.

Bing has brought MS a little more market but only after they spend a MASSIVE amount of money on the system. You're ignoring that MSN had a similar market share to Bing so it's not as if the new system is stealing a bunch of market from Google. Bing picked up a few points and took MSN's market, that's all.

Jesus, I didn't say it would take ten years for them to be a "where are they now" victim. I said 20 or 30. IBM didn't disappear in a decade. No company that large will fade away in ten years. And it's not as if IBM is out of business, they're doing pretty well. They're simply much smaller than they should be and they're completely out of the public's eye at this point. And Microsoft could be heading down that road unless they right this circling ship.

As for Google and Android fragmentation, that's the best thing Microsoft has going for it right now. If Google doesn't watch themselves, they could collapse the ecosystem as developers get frustrated and bail and customers leaves in droves for more stable platforms.

I forgot about MS's cloud services. They're intriguing. I think that's another place they might succeed moving forward. But Exchange? Really? A system that has been around for at least ten years (from what I can remember) and another system that Google is vigorously attacking with a free alternative. Exchange will stick around for years because it's a great enterprise solution but it's also not a growth market. The same goes for Office. It's a dwindling ecosystem at best as it continues to face threats from free alternatives from Sun and Google.

You seem to think that I feel as if MS is going to fail. I don't think that at all but I DO think it's a possibility. Outside of Xbox, they are late to every new market, have a tendency to throw out half-assed solutions to problems, and generally seem to lack real direction. These problems can be fixed but right now, it doesn't look great for the company. They're four years late to the mobile party, Win 8 looks full of promise but so has every other Microsoft operating system of the past 15 years, and almost all their successful markets are stagnant at best. That's a recipe for a slow burn into obscurity.

I have a feeling we could go back and forth on this for months. I will only address your last statement to avoid this.

Microsoft has always been a company that is late to the party. Their whole strategy is based on seeing which market is successful and enter it late, refine the product and outmuscle the competition over a longer period of time by using their resources. Their mobile strategy used to be a mess but for the first time i see them being on a right path there despite lack of marketshare at the moment. Down the road they will have one ecosystem for all platforms opposed to multiple ones that everyone else is doing. Even apple will have a hell of a time trying to merge osx and iOS once that bbecomes thes standard with windows 8 and beyond.

I think microsoft was in much bigger danger of fading away as you said 4 years ago as vista, xbox, phone, zune were massive failures at that time. Ttoday i see this turnaround well on the way and microsoft as a much more focused beast than they ever were.

Around the Network
rocketpig said:
Kasz216 said:
disolitude said:
Man, looking at this Microsoft is seriously undervalued right now compared to some of its peers on a P/E or FCF basis...

It's because people are all about growth.

People see Microsoft and don't really see a strong path to future growth.  Though I do agree microsoft is undervalued, if anything due to their diversity.

Apple is a lot like Nintendo.  Huge based off "innovations" and putting things in a way customers actually want it... but with little stableness behind it.   Meaning that it can be pretty volitile and go bad fast if they start making the wrong moves. 

It's hard to compare Apple to Nintendo anymore. Seven years ago? Maybe. But now they have profitable divisions in their Mac line, iPhone, iPad, iPod, iTunes Store, and now they're going after school textbooks. Within the year, they're going to start pursuing the smart television market. That is beginning to turn into a pretty well-rounded set of offerings.

Microsoft is definitely more diverse but much of that diversity struggles to earn them any money and a few divisions are giant moneypits. Their "real" money comes from Windows and Office with the Xbox line starting to come around. They're in more danger over the next ten years than Apple. Microsoft's main money makers (outside of Xbox) aren't only saturated, they're in decline. And they will face real competition from iOS/Android over the next few years. In short, if people stop buying computers and start replacing them with tablets (which Microsoft has ZERO stake in at this point), Microsoft could be royally and utterly fucked.

Not that I think they will, but it is a real possibility. Best case scenario is that Microsoft's core businesses will remain stable in the next decade. There is almost zero space for growth.

Really though that's all just a big 3 things that are fairly similarly connected (Itunes essentially being an extension) are they're big three though.  Nintendo has a "big two" with consoles and handhelds, it's not as different as you'd think.

I agree that Microsoft has a lot of areas where it might face shrinkage, but it should still stay big, and profitable.  Just a little less big.

disolitude said:

I have a feeling we could go back and forth on this for months. I will only address your last statement to avoid this.

Microsoft has always been a company that is late to the party. Their whole strategy is based on seeing which market is successful and enter it late, refine the product and outmuscle the competition over a longer period of time by using their resources. Their mobile strategy used to be a mess but for the first time i see them being on a right path there despite lack of marketshare at the moment. Down the road they will have one ecosystem for all platforms opposed to multiple ones that everyone else is doing. Even apple will have a hell of a time trying to merge osx and iOS once that bbecomes thes standard with windows 8 and beyond.

I think microsoft was in much bigger danger of fading away as you said 4 years ago as vista, xbox, phone, zune were massive failures at that time. Ttoday i see this turnaround well on the way and microsoft as a much more focused beast than they ever were.

We could go round and round about this for months.

I admit that I like a lot of the things MS is doing right now but I question whether it's too little, too late and whether they'll actually deliver on Windows 8. We've heard this song and dance before but the actual product has fallen short too many times in a row for me to be too optimistic about the operating system. But I admit that I love the idea of Metro.

I disagree that MS has always been late to the party. They were there for the birth of business desktop computing with Windows and Office. They were really rolling with Windows by the time the personal computer was ready to hit households in large numbers. But this time, they're entering at a massive disadvantage. They have not one but two competitors with superior products and marketplace dominance. Their software is behind both of them. They have no distinct hardware advantage. They don't have inroads to railroads consumers into these products via one of their established businesses, as they've done in the past through Windows (IE, Office, Exchange, etc.)

In short, this is a very different ballgame and for the first time in nearly two decades, Microsoft is going to have to play fair to win in the consumer computing market. And I doubt they're up to the task, at least not on the scale they did in the 90s and early 00s.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

They are comparing the market cap (total cost to buy all shares) of Apple to the annual GDP (revenue for one year) of countries.

Completely meaningless.

I'd just like to point out that the Leftorium actually did exceptionally well, in the end.

Off the top of my head, Flanders owns a summer house, two boats, a nuclear bomb shelter, opened a theme park, rebuilt his house after a hurricane (with no insurance), bought the Simpsons home, paid for Bart and Homer to go to Hawaii to have leprosy treatment, his kids have credit cards, he was financially able to foster three additional children, and owns a pair of "Assassins" sneakers.

Maybe the analogy isn't so bad, afterall...

Around the Network
NinjaguyDan said:
Apple did not get one penny of my hard earned cash, EVER!
Props to Woz, though.

If you ever bought an Android phone, then you have paid Apple $9 in royalties; and potentially more depending on how court cases go for patent infrindgement.

I never understood this nerd hatred for Apple. I think it has to do with a combination of childish immaturity and that the product is different from their own preference.  "Hey, you play with different toys than I do, well I think your toys suck and mine are better!"

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Jumpin said:
NinjaguyDan said:
Props to Woz, though.

If you ever bought an Android phone, then you have paid Apple $9 in royalties; and potentially more depending on how court cases go for patent infrindgement.

I never understood this nerd hatred for Apple. I think it has to do with a combination of childish immaturity and that the product is different from their own preference.  "Hey, you play with different toys than I do, well I think your toys suck and mine are better!"

I find it hard to understand too. I think a part of it is humankind's contrary nature. Lets say you find bananas to be ok, but not great. You ask me what I feel about them, and I say that I fucking love them! You believe that that is a overly positive view, and in order to balance that, you take a more negative view than you naturally would. After a little while of saying that you hate bananas, you will eventually come to believe it.

scottie said:
Jumpin said:
NinjaguyDan said:
Props to Woz, though.

I find it hard to understand too. I think a part of it is humankind's contrary nature. Lets say you find bananas to be ok, but not great. You ask me what I feel about them, and I say that I fucking love them! You believe that that is a overly positive view, and in order to balance that, you take a more negative view than you naturally would. After a little while of saying that you hate bananas, you will eventually come to believe it.

Thats some in-depth theories both of you have there.

Try and explain this one...

I really don't like apple ideology or their products much...yet in my bedroom right now, you will find:

A broken image?

scottie said:
A broken image?

Hmm...I see it just fine. Try the link direct - https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=4b2ef4047ae34667#cid=4B2EF4047AE34667&id=4B2EF4047AE34667!365