By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Codemasters CEO Rod Cousens speaks out about the Wii

Non Sequor said:
The idea that casual gamers will never buy "hardcore" games is ridiculous. Think about movies. The Spider-man movies were made with the idea of pleasing the comic book faithful, yet they were very much mainstream successes. My parents went to see these movies and enjoyed them.

The difference between the movie industry and the game industry is that the game industry rarely tries to reach outside of the hardcore demographic. Wii Sports has cracked the door and is getting people who haven't played video games before to start playing. It's up to the games industry to open the door the rest of the way and convince these people that there are other things they might want to play.

Again that's the big "If" and obviously easier said than done. Can you make a lot of casual gamers into hardcore? If so than obviously this would be a huge plus for the gaming industry.

It wasn't long ago a saw many adults playing those handheld fishing games. Even my parents had 2-3 of these games. Now the FBI couldn't find them. 

Around the Network
Smidlee said:
Non Sequor said:
The idea that casual gamers will never buy "hardcore" games is ridiculous. Think about movies. The Spider-man movies were made with the idea of pleasing the comic book faithful, yet they were very much mainstream successes. My parents went to see these movies and enjoyed them.

The difference between the movie industry and the game industry is that the game industry rarely tries to reach outside of the hardcore demographic. Wii Sports has cracked the door and is getting people who haven't played video games before to start playing. It's up to the games industry to open the door the rest of the way and convince these people that there are other things they might want to play.

Again that's the big "If" and obviously easier said than done. Can you make a lot of casual gamers into hardcore? If so than obviously this would be a huge plus for the gaming industry.

It wasn't long ago a saw many adults playing those handheld fishing games. Even my parents had 2-3 of these games. Now the FBI couldn't find them. 

Yeah, but those games were inherently limited, Wii is not, which is why much like the DS, its appeal remains

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

the appeal does remain for the wii, people buy it , people want it.
But people also buy bread and milk on a daily basis.
Nintendo has stated the wii is a toy, and as a toy it is great.

(I will not elaborate or comment on this post any further, if you can understand it, then good for you. If you do not understand, then you are not trying hard enough)

̶3̶R̶D̶   2ND! Place has never been so sweet.

Smidlee said:
DarkNight_DS said:
In the end it'll be much like the DS... if you don't support it you're basically throwing your money away... so these guys are out of touch...

Not necessary as DS is different than a home console. No doubt Wii is extremely successful for the Nintendo and going after the casual gamers but what iffy is the hardcore gamers who spends a lot of games , thus are more likely to buy 3rd party games after playing out the 1st party on a console.

You see as a hardcore gamer I will buy a Wii but not to play 3rd party games but the Big N only. If I could I would rather play MP3 on the PS3 since I like both game play and graphics but not a fan of jagged edges. So I can see how this could put many 3rd party developers on edge "to Wii or not to Wii." For who knows if by the time 3rd party develops more heavily (take years) for the Wii a HD fad will actually catch on.

Third party developers are still losing out by not putting their best foot forward on the DS and their wallets are showing their mistakes.  The same is happening on the Wii.  Who care's if you plan on buying a 3rd party game or not, there are plenty of people out there that WILL. 

The entire industry is ass backwards right now.  Profits should always be your #1 concern and as it stands most companies are not making profits with what they are doing.  Supporting an HD console at this time is a huge mistake.  Dev costs are way too high and need to be addressed.  Profits should always be your goal when making a product.  It seems most companies are too dumb to figure it out.  So good riddance to them! 

Prepare for termination! It is the only logical thing to do, for I am only loyal to Megatron.

DarkNight_DS said:
Smidlee said:

"Who care's if you plan on buying a 3rd party game or not, there are plenty of people out there that WILL."

Profits should always be your #1 concern and as it stands most companies are not making profits with what they are doing.

If profits are improtant than developers should care who planning to buy what.

Supporting an HD console at this time is a huge mistake.

Or is it? At this time it's true but what about a year or two from now? Just how many gamers are planning to buy both Wii (to play Big N games ) and a HD console PS3/360?

Around the Network
Smidlee said:
DarkNight_DS said:
Smidlee said:

"Who care's if you plan on buying a 3rd party game or not, there are plenty of people out there that WILL."

Profits should always be your #1 concern and as it stands most companies are not making profits with what they are doing.

Or is it? At this time it's true but what about a year or two from now? Just how many gamers are planning to buy both Wii (to play Big N games ) and a HD console PS3/360?

Probably most of them.  If they actually are GAMERS is the question.

Smidlee said:
DarkNight_DS said:
Smidlee said:

It will remain to be true.  We won't see a majour cost savings on the HD side for at least another 5-6 years and even then it will still cost much more to develop an HD game then it does a high end SD game. 

Developers should make good games at the least amount of cost no matter what.  The games industry isn't hollywood and shouldn't try to become it. 

Prepare for termination! It is the only logical thing to do, for I am only loyal to Megatron.

ultraslick said:
Smidlee said:
DarkNight_DS said:
Smidlee said:

Probably most of them. If they actually are GAMERS is the question.

Brilliant revelation incomming:  Anyone playing video games is a gamer.  Whether they share your tastes or not is another matter, but your tastes really don't mean anything.  They certainly don't give you the right to lable everyone who doesn't share your tastes with a derogatory term.  Let's get away from the childish playground grouping people. Grow up.

naznatips said:
ultraslick said:
Smidlee said:
DarkNight_DS said:
Smidlee said:

Brilliant revelation incomming: Anyone playing video games is a gamer. Whether they share your tastes or not is another matter, but your tastes really don't mean anything. They certainly don't give you the right to lable everyone who doesn't share your tastes with a derogatory term. Let's get away from the childish playground grouping people. Grow up.

you are right, if you have ever played a game in your life regardless of which or in what quantity, then you are a GAMER. (technically speaking)

But my comment had vallidity to it. 

all i meant was, those enthusiastic avid gamers who appreciate both consoles will most likely buy a wii, and either a 360 or PS3, if not all 3.  But then again.... 

naznatips said:
ultraslick said:
Smidlee said:
DarkNight_DS said:
Smidlee said:

Brilliant revelation incomming: Anyone playing video games is a gamer. Whether they share your tastes or not is another matter, but your tastes really don't mean anything. They certainly don't give you the right to lable everyone who doesn't share your tastes with a derogatory term. Let's get away from the childish playground grouping people. Grow up.

Good point Naznatips.  I know a couple of people who are (trying) to buy a Wii just to play Guitar Hero 3 (and Wii Sports).  Certainly once they have it they'll get other games.  But they are women in their mid-twenties.  Not the traditional 'gamer' Codemasters and other industry types are used to developing for but gamers nevertheless.  The need is their to supply them with more games to buy, developers are leaving money on the table by not grasping this opportunity.