By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Codemasters CEO Rod Cousens speaks out about the Wii

Bodhesatva said:

Are you, by chance, also pro-deforestation?

It depends on where it is happening, if its in a third world country then yes i am fine with it, i also don't care if they have whale hunts, club baby seals.  I also support the war machine, and its goal of a global war to sustain US and western goals around the world.  The war for oil sounds good, i also would not care if they shot all mexicans entering the US without greencards.

I also support Israel and their war for freedom against the unholy muslim armies, who wish to rid the world of jews and western culture.  I also don't think countries should be doing anything to help aids victims in Africa, they caused this, so screw them.  

I also think douglas Macarthur should of been allowed to nuke china when they attacked UN forces during the Korean war, but truman was soft and refused to give the greatest war leader ever the weapons to win the war.

I also think that the US was to soft in fighting the VC and NVA forces during the Vietnam war.  I also think the US/UN forces went to soft on Iraq during the Gulf war,  total destruction of the nation would of been fine.

Around the Network

I hope you are joking Griffin, but unfortunately its hard to tell...

One more thing. As a software developer myself, please remember that the developers (those who write the code) often have very little say in when something gets released. I see red every time someone talks about lazy developers when they probably don't decide when a game gets released....

Kytiara said:
One more thing. As a software developer myself, please remember that the developers (those who write the code) often have very little say in when something gets released. I see red every time someone talks about lazy developers when they probably don't decide when a game gets released....

What?  You mean you can't just smack the magic gnomes in the computer and make a game appear?

@ Bod,

You are absolutely right. A lot of 3rd party companies are afraid of the change the Wii is bringing about. In one hand, it's like their boardrooms are full of Sony fanboys, because frankly, for a lot of them, they are. And like Sony fanboys on sites like this and others (actually our Sony fanboys are the best around) they don't want to believe in the Wii, in the casual market or any of that stuff. It's not what they want and those guys will deny it until they have no other choice, or until they've gone under.

On the other hand, the current model of business is unsubstanable. Games development grows and grows and profits shrink and shrink. Companies that have profits don't have much and those that don't (EA, Take 2) are losing massively. Nintendo has given the industry an out from their predicament. Smart business people will see this. Some are (EA, Ubisoft, Mastro, Capcom, Sega) but they are somewhat hit and miss. However, they'll learn and score big longterm.

Also some new guys will come in and do crazy stuff and some will be wildly successful with it.

Around the Network

In the end it'll be much like the DS... if you don't support it you're basically throwing your money away... so these guys are out of touch...

Prepare for termination! It is the only logical thing to do, for I am only loyal to Megatron.

Kytiara said:

Don't worry some of us, hopefully most, realize publishers will make those decisions and since that's the guys providing funding developers can only argue so much.  Publishers also often decide which system it's going on to. We just don't bother to make that distinction between publisher and developer in conversation, as sometimes they are one and the same anyway.

I like how Nintendo is blamed for its market share. Would they be happier if the Wii went away and Nintendo concentrated all its efforts on making software for the PS3 and Xbox 360? They'd still be selling as many games, just not any hardware.

Most people don't look at who the developer is when they purchase a game. Games are bought through advertising, game reviews, and most importantly word of mouth. If someone likes a game, does he/she really care if EA, Konami, Capcom, or cousin Earl created it? No. Just because Nintendo made a game, doesn't mean that people will buy it. They have failed software too.

I guess we won't be getting a Dirty Dancing port on the Wii. I want to use the Wiimote to put Baby in the corner, get money for an abortion, and seduce Patrick Swayze.

DarkNight_DS said:
In the end it'll be much like the DS... if you don't support it you're basically throwing your money away... so these guys are out of touch...

Not necessary as DS is different than a home console. No doubt Wii is extremely successful for the Nintendo and going after the casual gamers but what iffy is the hardcore gamers who spends a lot of games , thus are more likely to buy 3rd party games after playing out the 1st party on a console.

You see as a hardcore gamer I will buy a Wii but not to play 3rd party games but the Big N only. If I could I would rather play MP3 on the PS3 since I like both game play and graphics but not a fan of jagged edges. So I can see how this could put many 3rd party developers on edge "to Wii or not to Wii." For who knows if by the time 3rd party develops more heavily (take years) for the Wii a HD fad will actually catch on.

The idea that casual gamers will never buy "hardcore" games is ridiculous. Think about movies. The Spider-man movies were made with the idea of pleasing the comic book faithful, yet they were very much mainstream successes. My parents went to see these movies and enjoyed them.

The difference between the movie industry and the game industry is that the game industry rarely tries to reach outside of the hardcore demographic. Wii Sports has cracked the door and is getting people who haven't played video games before to start playing. It's up to the games industry to open the door the rest of the way and convince these people that there are other things they might want to play.

"Ho! Haha! Guard! Turn! Parry! Dodge! Spin! Ha! Thrust!" -- Daffy Duck