By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Codemasters CEO Rod Cousens speaks out about the Wii

bulletstopper said:
While he is correct in saying that most of the software sold for the Wii has been and will continue to be first party titles, he isn't taking advantage of the 40 percent that is left over. A third party makes a killer game, and people will buy it. Simple. Anyone that ignores the millions upon million of Wii owners out there is silly.

I'll take 40% of a million wouldn't you?

40% of a billion wouldn't be bad either.

John Lucas 

Words from the Official VGChartz Idiot

WE ARE THE NATION...OF DOMINATION!

Around the Network

On topic, my brief analysis:

1) The Wii will see considerably more third party support than it would have if it were another Gamecube, but much less support than it "should" see given its sales and marketshare

2) Some companies resisting the tide will be dashed against the rocks  

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

johnlucas said:
bulletstopper said:
While he is correct in saying that most of the software sold for the Wii has been and will continue to be first party titles, he isn't taking advantage of the 40 percent that is left over. A third party makes a killer game, and people will buy it. Simple. Anyone that ignores the millions upon million of Wii owners out there is silly.

I'll take 40% of a million wouldn't you?

40% of a billion wouldn't be bad either.

John Lucas

Actually at the 60/40 rate for every 1 billion revenue Nintendo produces there is 667 million in revenue for third parties.  

In reality of course is there no such limitation, so there is plenty of room for those willing to try. 

To Each Man, Responsibility

The PS3/360 are great for the industry, they have the ability to force small and crappy developers to leave the industry or be bought out. The wii/DS are allowing small game companies to make shitty games.

If Nintendo cared about the industry they would re-invest their money back into their company, instead they just sit around with billions of dollars doing nothing to make better games, they make crappy games for the most part, just imagine what SMG or Zelda could of been if Nintendo invested more then the bare minimum into their games.

Griffin: one could argue that forcing "crappy" developers to leave the industry would be a good thing (although I don't actually think it is, as I expect an industry with nothing but huge, big budget games would cause significant economic problems) but to complain about "small" developers?

I have never, in my entire life, seen anyone argue that it's a good thing for an industry to only be accessible by giant corporations with huge developmental funds.

Yeah! You stick it to the little guy Griff! Gooooo giant corporate conglomerates! Woooooo! 

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

Around the Network

It's always the 3rd parties who's games dont' sell on the Wii, mainly because they make shitty games haha. Oh well. That or simply don't give it enough support.

Griffin said:
The PS3/360 are great for the industry, they have the ability to force small and crappy developers to leave the industry or be bought out. The wii/DS are allowing small game companies to make shitty games.

If Nintendo cared about the industry they would re-invest their money back into their company, instead they just sit around with billions of dollars doing nothing to make better games, they make crappy games for the most part, just imagine what SMG or Zelda could of been if Nintendo invested more then the bare minimum into their games.

That is the worst business logic I've ever heard. Let's just have big companies make stuff so they can be expensive. You do realize the games you play now comes from companies that used to be "small and crappy"? Or do you really think Rockstar has always made huge GTA games?

Wii Code 8761-5941-4718-0078 

@ griffin... so you want all thrid parties to become EA?

Griffin said:

So then never complain when EA buys a company?

Bodhesatva said:

On topic, my brief analysis:

1) The Wii will see considerably more third party support than it would have if it were another Gamecube, but much less support than it "should" see given its sales and marketshare

2) Some companies resisting the tide will be dashed against the rocks

Sounds about right to me.  Hope GTA outperforms.  Would be sad if take 2 went under.  2k Sports games are the best.