By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - The Official Anime Discussion Thread

DemoniOtaku said:
pezus said:
So Denpa Teki na Kanojo (2 episode OVA) was very good! I would rate it 8 or 8.5/10. Just too damn short!

Yeah! It was really great... it was based on a two volumes ligth novel so I don't think We'll see anything more from this serie... it leave you wanting more.. really a shame, it had a lot of potential.

darkknightkryta said:

I literally just finished skimming through Battle of the Gods and I came here to post that its animation is terrible.  Sad that they managed to animate the series better in the late 80s than they can do now.

Well, I don't think that the original, late 80's to mid 90's, serie was any better, but is pretty sure this is not level of a film.. but thinking again, I haven't watched a Dragon Ball movie with outstanding animation either.. so I think is Okey as is it... the original serie have some great animations, buthad some horrible scenes with lacking quality... specially on Cell's saga, sometimes fillers were better animated (like Garlick Jrs's)...

But again comparing animation of 80's and 90's... I find surprising how outstanding were on that age... specially on Films and OVAs... movies like GITS and AKIRA have a level of details that You can see anymore... OVAS like Buble Gum Crash/crisis and You're under arrest (these ended being the first two episode of the series later) are great two... and on animated series.. I think that Macross Saga and Evangelion are what define more those two ages...  another outstanding animated serie on the 90's is Rurouni Kenshin.. even nowaday looks beutful (and had one of the bes OST EVER! too)...

I've noticed newer animation is getting sloppy.  Or rather, it animates well, but art suffers tremensly.

Around the Network
darkknightkryta said:
DemoniOtaku said:
pezus said:
So Denpa Teki na Kanojo (2 episode OVA) was very good! I would rate it 8 or 8.5/10. Just too damn short!

Yeah! It was really great... it was based on a two volumes ligth novel so I don't think We'll see anything more from this serie... it leave you wanting more.. really a shame, it had a lot of potential.

darkknightkryta said:

I literally just finished skimming through Battle of the Gods and I came here to post that its animation is terrible.  Sad that they managed to animate the series better in the late 80s than they can do now.

Well, I don't think that the original, late 80's to mid 90's, serie was any better, but is pretty sure this is not level of a film.. but thinking again, I haven't watched a Dragon Ball movie with outstanding animation either.. so I think is Okey as is it... the original serie have some great animations, buthad some horrible scenes with lacking quality... specially on Cell's saga, sometimes fillers were better animated (like Garlick Jrs's)...

But again comparing animation of 80's and 90's... I find surprising how outstanding were on that age... specially on Films and OVAs... movies like GITS and AKIRA have a level of details that You can see anymore... OVAS like Buble Gum Crash/crisis and You're under arrest (these ended being the first two episode of the series later) are great two... and on animated series.. I think that Macross Saga and Evangelion are what define more those two ages...  another outstanding animated serie on the 90's is Rurouni Kenshin.. even nowaday looks beutful (and had one of the bes OST EVER! too)...

I've noticed newer animation is getting sloppy.  Or rather, it animates well, but art suffers tremensly.

It might be due to the animating style since back then they where all hand drawn now almost all anime are being draw using computers. 

Bet with gooch_destroyer, he wins if FFX and FFX-2 will be at $40 each for the vita. I win if it dont

Sign up if you want to see God Eater 2 get localized!! https://www.change.org/petitions/shift-inc-bring-god-eater-2-to-north-america-2#share

SnakeDrake said:
darkknightkryta said:
DemoniOtaku said:
pezus said:

darkknightkryta said:

It might be due to the animating style since back then they where all hand drawn now almost all anime are being draw using computers. 

like darkknightkryta said... I think that's more the art direction, there are a lot of notable anime animated using computers, but what lacks more are details.. mostof anime nowaday are higschool based and mostof the time are the same backgrounds or based on the modern japan, looking plain most of the time... there's almost no attention to details in some animations too.. like explosions, explosions are what I miss more from 80's animations... when something exploded then, You could see debris and some parts flying in all directions.. nowaday just a a ligth effect covering the screen.. it just look MEH!

DoYou Want DOZENS OF NO GAEMZ?! then... Visit the Official PlayStation Vita Tread

DemoniOtaku said:
SnakeDrake said:
darkknightkryta said:
DemoniOtaku said:
pezus said:

darkknightkryta said:

like darkknightkryta said... I think that's more the art direction, there are a lot of notable anime animated using computers, but what lacks more are details.. mostof anime nowaday are higschool based and mostof the time are the same backgrounds or based on the modern japan, looking plain most of the time... there's almost no attention to details in some animations too.. like explosions, explosions are what I miss more from 80's animations... when something exploded then, You could see debris and some parts flying in all directions.. nowaday just a a ligth effect covering the screen.. it just look MEH!

The problem with Battle of the Gods is that it's 1. lacking a lot of detail that the original Z had.  2. the actual fight scenes weren't much.  They pretty much perfected it by Goku vs Cell, then GT came along and everything afterwards has been subpar.  Even the OVA they made 5 years ago for the jump festa was a lot better in the action department.  Fight scenes were weird with flat characters with terrible looking 3D backgrounds.  The speed wasn't there either.  I'm kinda sad and not looking foward to the next series (From an animation/art point of view).  Though I'm disappointed in most anime when it comes to detailing.  Sad that the kings of animation turned into jokers.

Looks like Manga took Stand Alone Complex off of youtube. Sad to see it go, it was in HD too.

Around the Network

So Funimation decided to destroy another Dragon Ball Z release(Their new blurays). I can't figure out why they can't properly release Dragon Ball Z for home media.

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

darkknightkryta said:
So Funimation decided to destroy another Dragon Ball Z release(Their new blurays). I can't figure out why they can't properly release Dragon Ball Z for home media.

maybe it has something to do with the fact that Fox owns DBZ licensing in America due to that live-action movie.

My Hummingbird

3DS Friend Code: 047387541842

AstroGamer said:
darkknightkryta said:

maybe it has something to do with the fact that Fox owns DBZ licensing in America due to that live-action movie.

That's possible.  But Toei is very protective when they license their properties.  Hell Toei was bringing Sailor Moon over themselves and then abruptly pulled the license out of NA... from themselves :S.  I'd be sad if Fox canceled those Level sets cause the new blurays look like 16bit art ran through a super eagle filter.

Funi doesn't do a whole lot right, so botching an encode doesn't surprise me.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.