By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Was MS Wrong When They Claimed The #1 Spot For HW Sales WW?

Which Option Do You Think Is More Accurate?

The PS3/360 Is Over/Undertracked In EU. 135 23.48%

Ballmer Was Including A Few Jan Shipments. 67 11.65%

MS Stuffed The Channels. 246 42.78%

IT'S 2012! WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIE! 123 21.39%

Total:571

When a CEO of a company comes out on a big stage like CES and state something like "We sold the best in 2011", you can be pretty sure the people that reported that number made sure that it was correct. Making a fool of your CEO would be something that probably get you fired and Steve would not want to make such a statement, then get ripped if it was incorrect.

If someone believes that Sony would not dispute that claim if they had the numbers you are deluding yourself. There is no way Sony or Nintendo would let MS just get away with claiming first place.

Around the Network
pezus said:
morpheusx said:
MS has always used sold to customers as their measurement. Why would they all of a sudden change?
If they declared number 1 WW they mean sold to consumers and would have the numbers and research to back it up if needed.
I haven't seen anything from Sony that disputes or states otherwise either and they would if they had the numbers just like they did when they tried to release propaganda numbers last year on how Move outsold Kinect by not only using shipped numbers but also counting the number of wands.

So last year sony had the numbers to back it up? What did Sony do wrong, then?

Lets see the what did they do wrong?  They announced numbers. Then they had to back track and added shipped to retailers and that they were including the number of wands.  By that flawed method you could say the Wii has sold at least 250 million units.

Back on track MS has always used shipped numbers when they make announcements. Sony typically uses shipped / manufactured numbers. Nothing wrong with either method either. It just makes it more difficult for speculators when they try to compare the two.

As far as the person that said they haven't seen any official numbers from MS, well if Balmer said over 66 million you better believe its over 66 million. There are far too many shareholders that hate him and the stagnant stock price that hasn't increased despite their tech rivals that have and wish him gone and would love to catch him in a lie fluffing the numbers.

morpheusx said:
MS has always used sold to customers as their measurement. Why would they all of a sudden change?
If they declared number 1 WW they mean sold to consumers and would have the numbers and research to back it up if needed.
I haven't seen anything from Sony that disputes or states otherwise either and they would if they had the numbers just like they did when they tried to release propaganda numbers last year on how Move outsold Kinect by not only using shipped numbers but also counting the number of wands.

Neither end users nor retailers have any obligation to communicate sales from the latter to the former to MS, so MS can just collect as many sample data as possible and make an estimate of those numbers, like VGC, although as besides polling shops and cross checking with other trackers, MS has also orders and shipping data available, it can most probably estimate its own numbers more precisely, but not the competitors' ones.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

spaceguy said:
brendude13 said:
Some people are still undecided about who won 2011, even Reasonable who's word I would take over anyone else's.

But doesn't VGC say that the PS3 won by 300k, and NPD say that the Xbox 360 was 900k units more overtracked than the PS3, suggesting that it won by 1.2m?

Am I somewhere on the right lines?

NPD is not world wide. ALSO VGCHARTZ GUESS'S IT'S NUMBERS, SO DOES NPD. Um yea they really don't know the real numbers, it's a calculated guess. So who is right? The company that has the numbers or the people trying to guess the numbers. Does anyone remember the past, this place has been a mess. Numbers have been off and it's been by alot. 

even if it's shipped that would put 2.4 million on the store shelfs. Like the comment above explains.

Actually it might be over 3M on shelves... Well of VGC numbers are way off, as usual on holidays (according to some users)

Seece said:
VGKing said:
Tigerlure said:
Lol looks like someone got a little bit mad on this thread. I think MS may have overshipped.

But that's impossible! MS has to be the winner! They said so!

If that's aimed at me, I've already said I don't have a clue who the winner is now, that perfectly describes you for Sony though, every thread you've basically just demanded Sony won.

Even after the 66m comment when it looked like MS had it in the bag. Thismeintiel even went MIA then

I haven't "demaded" Sony won, I have proof in the data of this site.

Are you saying VgChartz sales are off? Do they have the Xbox 360 heavily undertracked? Is PS3 overtracked? These are all possible but you don't have any proof do you?

Around the Network
Reasonable said:

Actually thinking about it I feel like Drake in the hallucination sequences in Uncharted 3.

I hated that part of the game!

Intel Core i7 3770K [3.5GHz]|MSI Big Bang Z77 Mpower|Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866 2 x 4GB|MSI GeForce GTX 560 ti Twin Frozr 2|OCZ Vertex 4 128GB|Corsair HX750|Cooler Master CM 690II Advanced|

spaceguy said:
brendude13 said:
Some people are still undecided about who won 2011, even Reasonable who's word I would take over anyone else's.

But doesn't VGC say that the PS3 won by 300k, and NPD say that the Xbox 360 was 900k units more overtracked than the PS3, suggesting that it won by 1.2m?

Am I somewhere on the right lines?

NPD is not world wide. ALSO VGCHARTZ GUESS'S IT'S NUMBERS, SO DOES NPD. Um yea they really don't know the real numbers, it's a calculated guess. So who is right? The company that has the numbers or the people trying to guess the numbers. Does anyone remember the past, this place has been a mess. Numbers have been off and it's been by alot. 

even if it's shipped that would put 2.4 million on the store shelfs. Like the comment above explains.

one thing is for sure....

there is not a single company, organisation,person, god, alien etc. who knows the EXACT amount of consoles sold at any given moment in time.

I would imagine its literally impossible (talking about sold to consumers not retailers).

Personally, i think even MS had to estimate WW 360 sell through numbers to some degree.

Intel Core i7 3770K [3.5GHz]|MSI Big Bang Z77 Mpower|Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866 2 x 4GB|MSI GeForce GTX 560 ti Twin Frozr 2|OCZ Vertex 4 128GB|Corsair HX750|Cooler Master CM 690II Advanced|

why are people still debating about who won the year? its damn obvious whats happened. microsoft over estimated and shipped way too many consoles. they beat sony in shipments but ps3 obviously sold more to consumers. this is even more true after recent NPD.

SOLIDSNAKE08 said:

why are people still debating about who won the year? its damn obvious whats happened. microsoft over estimated and shipped way too many consoles. they beat sony in shipments but ps3 obviously sold more to consumers. this is even more true after recent NPD.

Again, NPD  is not the world.

SOLIDSNAKE08 said:

I'm pretty sure reality is the opposite of what you just said.