By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Media Create Sales Jan 02 ~ Jan 08

tracking

Click this button, you know you want to!  [Subscribe]

Watch me on YouTube!

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheRadishBros

~~~~ Mario Kart 8 drove far past my expectations! Never again will I doubt the wheels of a Monster Franchise! :0 ~~~~

Around the Network
BasilZero said:
radishhead said:
tracking

What does tracking mean o.O? (Sorry for going offtopic, I just wanna ask since I always see you tracking a topic o.o)

aha :p I just want it to appear on the Forum Buddy thing - I think the term is actually "tagging", but I always get it wrong :)

Click this button, you know you want to!  [Subscribe]

Watch me on YouTube!

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheRadishBros

~~~~ Mario Kart 8 drove far past my expectations! Never again will I doubt the wheels of a Monster Franchise! :0 ~~~~

Signalstar said:

I don't really care about Vita sale atm. I just want the PSP to keep chugging along long enough to top the GBA in sales worldwide. Japan is where it is performing best.

I think that's pretty much a given.  As of Sept. 2011 it's already at 74.69 million shipped.  They should at least ship 3 million for the last quarter of 2011, bringing them to 77.69.  I'm sure that for all of next year they can manage to ship the greater than 3.82 million needed to pass the GBA.  Either way, the the PSP has done damn good considering the the best non-Nintendo handheld before it (Game Gear) only sold 11 million units.  And it launched only $60 higher than the Game Boy, as opposed to the $100 more the PSP launched compared to the DS.

radishhead said:
BasilZero said:
radishhead said:
tracking

What does tracking mean o.O? (Sorry for going offtopic, I just wanna ask since I always see you tracking a topic o.o)

aha :p I just want it to appear on the Forum Buddy thing - I think the term is actually "tagging", but I always get it wrong :)

Lol, I think 90% of the posts I see from you is tracking.

It always interesting to see where the DS and the PSP are still doing solid numbers. DS not so much because the 3DS has replaced it now.

but i'm amazed that the PS2 is still selling!

Around the Network

psp still doing well,i know its a holiday week

i hope the vita can be as popular as the psp in japan

Above & Beyond

New Year in Japan isn't really like in China at all. It's just New Years is a national holiday and many companies take extra days vacations around then, big sales go on etc. The company I used to work at was completely shut from I think it was the 29th of December to the 3rd of January. It varies from company to company though. So basically you have a load of people with time off, loads of sales which results in big sales for lots of industries.

jonnybmk I don't know if you were addressing that to me as I can't really imagine who else you were talking to. My point was that the Vita is selling badly and will do so until it gets either a hefty price cut bigger than the unofficial ones or gets some big hitting titles. It seems as though this year there may be one moderately big title (usually I would say a FF-X remake was big but it's also out on PS3 so won't really motivate people to get a vita) and a price cut is very unlikely.

This paints an incredibly bleak picture for the Vita's sales in Japan for the entire year. Without big titles or a price cut it isn't going to sell and so far it seems like neither of those things will happen this year. An entire year of bad sales would be devasting for Sony but I don't see how they can do anything about it =/

Turkish says and I'm allowed to quote that: Uncharted 3 and God Of War 3 look better than Unreal Engine 4 games will or the tech demo does. Also the Naughty Dog PS3 ENGINE PLAYS better than the UE4 ENGINE.

Zim said:
New Year in Japan isn't really like in China at all. It's just New Years is a national holiday and many companies take extra days vacations around then, big sales go on etc. The company I used to work at was completely shut from I think it was the 29th of December to the 3rd of January. It varies from company to company though. So basically you have a load of people with time off, loads of sales which results in big sales for lots of industries.

jonnybmk I don't know if you were addressing that to me as I can't really imagine who else you were talking to. My point was that the Vita is selling badly and will do so until it gets either a hefty price cut bigger than the unofficial ones or gets some big hitting titles. It seems as though this year there may be one moderately big title (usually I would say a FF-X remake was big but it's also out on PS3 so won't really motivate people to get a vita) and a price cut is very unlikely.

This paints an incredibly bleak picture for the Vita's sales in Japan for the entire year. Without big titles or a price cut it isn't going to sell and so far it seems like neither of those things will happen this year. An entire year of bad sales would be devasting for Sony but I don't see how they can do anything about it =/

Don't individuals (namely kids) receive money similar to Chinese customs of New Year? Also thanks for information, I just know New Years = Sales boost in Japan.   

Ah yea in that way they are similar. Japanese kids get Otoshidama (new year money basically). Not many of my friends have kids but I think it was like 5000-10000yen or something ($50-100). Older kids get more. I dunno what age it went up to. So yea lots of kids with money too.

I can't quite remember as I was on a different type of contract but I'm pretty sure that one of the bonuses comes in December as well. Or at least around winter time. So you end up with adults and kids with lots of money to spare, lots of time off, sales etc. So yea basically a perfect storm of consumerism.

Turkish says and I'm allowed to quote that: Uncharted 3 and God Of War 3 look better than Unreal Engine 4 games will or the tech demo does. Also the Naughty Dog PS3 ENGINE PLAYS better than the UE4 ENGINE.

Zim said:
The vita is in real trouble. Reasonable said it is still at launch price. Not true. A huge amount of retailers have already dropped the price of the 3G. Around a 15-20% price drop at most stores. That's pretty considerable.

These sales are already after a bit of a price drop from retailers.

The problem the vita has as well is with the 3DS we knew Nintendo could afford to drop the price. With Sony I'm really not sure they can manage it.

Also with the 3ds we knew that Zelda:OoT, Mario Kart, Mario and Monster hunter were coming and they would help sales massively. For Vita what game is going to help? There are no big titles for months. In fact I can't even think of a big title for the Japanese market this entire year. Anyone think of one?

I was clearly talking official RRP as set by Sony.  I do think the 3G sales show that, currently at least, the appetite for the 3G version is way lower and I did see some retailers were dropping the price tactically to clear excess stock - but that isn't an official price change yet.  Retailers have dropped the price of the 360 plenty of times to suit their needs and we don't count that as an official price drop.  Note I'm not saying retailers have dropped price of 360 due to poor sales, just that retail tactical price changes don't - so far as I know - get counted as official RRP changes on VG no matter what's behind them.

I agree that Sony might find it harder to stomach a price drop than Nintendo that early in the devices life.

TBH I suspect Sony will wait and see how it fares in the West ,as TBH I think the launch titles - well some of them like Uncharted - have more chance of being really popular than in Japan.

Personally I think Vita will take time to catch on in Japan - if ever.  I actually think it could - unlike PSP - appeal more in the West this time, particularly if the CoD title for it proves popular.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...