By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - What Could Have Sony Done Different To Make The PS3 As Successful As Its Predecessors...

freebs2 said:
In 2006 you had alrady a 360 with some great games, and more coming, for 399$. Than Sony made a console on sale for 599$, because it had 102% of 360's power (thanks to cell) and blu-ray discs.
Basically you had to pay additional 200$ to have some features that were completely useless, unless you already owned an HDTV (also a good one, since in 2006 not all HDTVs were 1080p) and an Home Theater.

^ This

But Sony would not have won the format war without Blu-ray on the PS3.  So the won a war, but at quite a loss.

Really not sure I see any point of Consol over PC's since Kinect, Wii and other alternative ways to play have been abandoned. 

Top 50 'most fun' game list coming soon!

Tell me a funny joke!

Around the Network

Releasing an ultra expensive console in the middle of a global recession is generally not a good idea...honestly, the numbers given the economic dip are fairly good... The SNES only sold 50 mil in a smiliar climate. I would not put this to a statistical certainty, but by the end of this year, it may just have sold better than the SNES adjusted for inflation...

-- Nothing is nicer than seeing your PS3 on an HDTV through an HDMI cable for the first time.

To me, 360 was greatly boosted by nationalism from US and UK, if it weren't an American console it would have performed less well and PS3 better. But Japanese do the same, they favor Japanese consoles.
Americans are back in the race for the first time since Atari 2600's success in the 70/80's. And America weight more than Japan. In the future I think if Microsoft don't make a big mistake it will lead VG industry for long.

Mmm, I don't know about that. I've never once heard anyone justify their 360 purchase on a basis of nationalism. Why would they? It's made in China :).

You already listed all the reasons

Around the Network

I still can not grasp why people don't always want the best.
The truth is: some people want the mediocre.

It's not: "be the best you can be" that gets you ahead.
It's: "sell the bet you can sell"

Sony needed to seriously design the PS3 in a less awesome way so that more people could have bought it.

I know... I know, it's a crazy world. Whats worse is that it is snowball effect. Those who couldn't buy a PS3 turned into those that wouldn't because they would never admit that they couldn't.

Less is more.

̶3̶R̶D̶   2ND! Place has never been so sweet.

Ps2 was a solid system, by the end it was a cheap system that was a dvd player and gave graphics as good as the Wii.

Yeah the PS2 was a beloved consul it was like the Windows Xp of our generation.

The general public liked it for being simple, and lots of fun.

I would compare PS3 launch to Vista and PS3 recent success as Windows 7.

Vista was a big flop, but when they went back to basics like windows 7, people liked Windows again.

You may not know this but Windox Xp was the top OS from 2003 to mid 2011. Vista was never as popular and only Windows 7 has been used by everyone.

ultraslick said:
I still can not grasp why people don't always want the best.
The truth is: some people want the mediocre.

It's not: "be the best you can be" that gets you ahead.
It's: "sell the bet you can sell"

Sony needed to seriously design the PS3 in a less awesome way so that more people could have bought it.

I know... I know, it's a crazy world. Whats worse is that it is snowball effect. Those who couldn't buy a PS3 turned into those that wouldn't because they would never admit that they couldn't.

Less is more.

That is just so true, especially the bolded part. I've never even thought of it that way, but it's so true, because I used to be like that myself. I played my Wii and never liked the PS3, I saw how expensive it was and just immediately hated the thing. It was only until I played Call of Duty 4 on it round my friends house and when Metal Gear Solid 4 came out that I started to like it (and bought it a few weeks later). I honestly believe that is one of the main reasons why the PS3 has failed so much.

I think that they focused all their R&D and expenses on the wrong components. If they had put the bulk of the costs into the GPU and RAM instead of CPU and optical drive the technical differences would have been a lot more obvious.