By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Can the Wii still Overtake the PS2 in the US?

menx64 said:
I dont get why people think wii will just stop selling next year... Unless nintendo discontinues the wii next year, it is a given that it will surpass the ps2. Later than expected? Sure, but it will happen... Quote me on that one!

Who said it's going to stop selling? Did you read the OP? It says 3m in 2012, which is down 1.5m yoy compared to the 2.5m~ it was down this year ...

Around the Network
menx64 said:
I dont get why people think wii will just stop selling next year... Unless nintendo discontinues the wii next year, it is a given that it will surpass the ps2. Later than expected? Sure, but it will happen... Quote me on that one!

Done!

Signature goes here!

it can if nintendo dropps the price to 99 and releases new colors but other than that it will fall shor nintendo messed themselves up wii u should have been held back to 2013 so wii could sell more

I'm going to have to say no. I think this year they will drop it to $99, but that will most likely just keep them from dropping too much YOY, so ~4 mil. In 2013, however, the Wii's sales will most likely start to dry up, so maybe ~1.5-2 mil. I can see Nintendo taking the Wii off of shelves sometime in 2014, as it doesn't seem like they are very willing to support it much more after the Wii U launches. Not like Sony supported the PS2, anyway. So it'll come up 1-2 million short when all is said and done.

As soon as the WiiU is released Nintendo will drop the Wii like a hot potato, that'll severely hurt its chances of overtaking the PS2 in America.

Around the Network

Chances are that the Wii can repeat some of the selling pattern of the ps2; but yeah, Wii will lack the software support that the ps2 still had after ps3, but I dont see the 6m mark way too difficult to reach over the course of the next three years.

pwin´ every other villain since 1994

It has a very slim chance.

Also, I'm assuming these are VGC numbers we are using, so they are undertracked for the PS2. Sony themselves have PS2 shipments to just North America at 47.68 million at the end of March '07. If the US makes up about 85% (estimating, but probably about right) of all shipments for North America, that would put shipments at ~40.5 mil about 5 years ago.

Now here's where it gets a little tricky, because Sony stopped breaking it down by region in '07. The PS2 has shipped 38 million more units since March '07. Let's say that NA saw 1/3 of those shipments (this is conservative since it was more like 40% up until that point), which would put them at 60.22 million and the US at ~51.19 million shipped. There's no way there's ~6 million PS2's on store shelves. So, most likely the PS2 has sold ~50.5 million PS2s in the US. I seriously doubt any console is going to pass it anytime soon.

Personally i think the Wii will drop like a rock and fall a few million short. Just look at the DS's sales, down by over 50% YoY in 2011 because of the 3DS launching. As such i doubt the Wii will continue any significant numbers after 2013, and in 2013 they may even struggle to pass 1 million units.