By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Can the Wii still Overtake the PS2 in the US?

If Nintendo releases another solid Wii ____ title on Wii then I think it will. Otherwise, no. The Operation Rainfall titles won't help sales - sadly. Nintendo seems to have abandoned the system (as they did GC) so I don't expect any big titles or heck, any titles at all once Wii U launches. There will be no system exclusives from third parties (of any note) so there's little to push Wii's sales over the PS2's lifetime. PS2 just has a better back library, let's face it.

Around the Network

Makes you think about how ridiculous the PS2 number is for a second. My favorite console, deserved every sale it got. It's still possible, but the legacy of the two are pretty different.

NYANKS said:
Makes you think about how ridiculous the PS2 number is for a second. My favorite console, deserved every sale it got. It's still possible, but the legacy of the two are pretty different.

well one was mostly sold too gamers and one was mostly sold to gamers grandparents

phinch1 said:
NYANKS said:

well one was mostly sold too gamers and one was mostly sold to gamers grandparents

The appeal to some older people is definitely a part of the legacy, but I kind of meant how the gaming community will look back on each, I think PS2 will generally be held with more reverence.  But the Wii was more revolutionary if motion sticks.

It will be a close battle between Xbox 360, Wii and PS2. We´ll know the winner in 2014...

Around the Network

a dreadful post what i guess you hate the truth,
what ever if the truth hurts wear it i guess

cause let me point out 3 reasons why the other 2 wont be hardly touched in 5 yrs after they get off the market

1 xbox live psn would probably be shut down for those titles and alot of 360 and ps3 games rely on its online service

2 why would any one want to go back and play 100 first person shooters when these same games will be on next gen consoles but even better

3 on the xbox360 front at least the phat models , they are likely to break down , ,
and i dont know about you but id like to continue support of a system that wont breakdown that easily

goldeneye0065r said:
a dreadful post what i guess you hate the truth,
what ever if the truth hurts wear it i guess

cause let me point out 3 reasons why the other 2 wont be hardly touched in 5 yrs after they get off the market

1 xbox live psn would probably be shut down for those titles and alot of 360 and ps3 games rely on its online service

2 why would any one want to go back and play 100 first person shooters when these same games will be on next gen consoles but even better

3 on the xbox360 front at least the phat models , they are likely to break down , ,
and i dont know about you but id like to continue support of a system that wont breakdown that easily

No, dreadful because it was all wrong, kind of uninformed post you'd expect to see on N4G

Even though Wii fell off harshly, I think it will be a very close one. I think it will all depend on how well Wii does in 2012, and may or may not also depend on how the market respond to Wii U.
Personally, I felt that Nintendo kinda abandoned the Wii within the last year and if they hadn't they could have done better with the Wii. It feels like they focused on 3DS and now the Wii U, which can turn out to be great for the next gen.
My personal prediction, Wii will fall short of PS2 within 1.5 million.

It'll come close but I don't think it will pass the PS2. Nintendo can be pretty heartless when it comes to pulling the plug on an old console and if E3 2011 is any indication, the Wii will be completely ignored at E3 this year.

I think Skyward Sword will be the console's last great title, although I'd very much like Nintendo to prove me wrong on that front.

Signature goes here!

I dont get why people think wii will just stop selling next year... Unless nintendo discontinues the wii next year, it is a given that it will surpass the ps2. Later than expected? Sure, but it will happen... Quote me on that one!

Menx64

3DS code: 1289-8222-7215

NNid: Menx064