By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - EGM: Wii is a 1/10 console in 2011 and I agree

Tagged games:

Metallicube said:

I'd give it more of a 3/10, but still it was definitly a pathetic year compared to prior years. Most of the games I did play were imports (Xenoblade, Zangeki, Rythm Heaven, etc). which is a bad sign. I think Kirby is actually the only new game released in America that I played. It's a great game, don't get me wrong, but it should not be the ONLY great game all year. Granted Zelda looks good too, but does look pretty underwhelming even compared to Twilight Princess. And Mario Sports and Just Dance 3? That's a big meh to say the least..

What Nintendo should have done this year, if they're resources were really stretched thin on Wii U and 3DS development, is used the opportunity to at least localize some games from Japan and Europe, to at least give the appearance of a strong lineup. Why not release Zangeki, Tales of Graces, Last Story, Pandora's Tower, Fatal Frame 4, etc? You would think the effort involved would be minimal and it would be a low risk, high reward move that would at least keep the US fans busy for awhile.  If games like Fagile Dreams and Sakura Wars can make it to these shores, why not those games? I do hear that Rythm Heaven and Xenoblade are making their way to the US which is encouraging to hear, but it might be too little too late.

While the fault lies on third parties to some extent, Nintendo by now should know that third parties want nothing to do with this console for whatever reason, so the responsibility lies on them to keep the userbase replenished with games, and this year they have failed to do that, especially with American releases.

Rythm Heaven wasnt released?? interesting. I thought it was coming out in winter, but looking at the sales in the US for the DS one, I can see why they might have passed. Zelda is good, you're missing out, but i like them all, so take what i say with a grain of salt. Tales of Graces is a Namco game, Ninty has no power over that. And it is being released stateside, just on PS3 and not WIi. Fatal Frame I agree. Sony or someone needs to TAKE that away from Ninty, cause they are doing nothing with it. At least on PS2 they were getting localized.

Around the Network
wholikeswood said:
sales2099 said:
Wii won this gen. Theres no reason to pump out more games

The Wii won. Not sure the same can be said for Wii gamers...

Still, you're evidently one of those people that gets more pleasure from a system's sales than from its games. Sad times...

Thisx100, but if you're a zealot then i guess you did win??

On a side note, i bet sales doesnt even own a Wii

I didn't plan to get many Wii games this year so it worked out for me.

wholikeswood said:
sales2099 said:

Still, you're evidently one of those people that gets more pleasure from a system's sales than from its games. Sad times...

Well as a non Wii gamer, relishing in its sales are about all I can do in regards to the Wii. 

Wii gamers just need to melt their favourite Wii games and even the Wii itself into molten liquid, suck it up in a syringe, and just spend the night injecting themselves with liquid sales, apparently I hear you can get quite a pleasurable high from it. :)

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Snesboy said:
amp316 said:
Pavolink said:
Snesboy said:
Sounds about right. EGM is always right.

They were right about Geist and Battalion Wars sucking, the Wii being the best selling console this gen, and Twilight Princess being the best Zelda game ever.

No.

I agree with Pavolink.  Twilight Princess is not even close to the best.

I am currently on a Zelda kick since Skyward Sword...less than impressed me, so I'm going backwards through the Zelda games and just finished Twilight Princess. Get back to me in about 2 weeks when I finish Wind Waker and I will probably be saying that that is the best Zelda game ever.

They're all great on some level.  I'm one of those boring people that claims that Ocarina of Time is the best.  I like Majora's Mask a lot too.

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

Around the Network
wholikeswood said:
sales2099 said:

Wow, so you know what all Wii gamers think? Impressive. You should try your hand at the lotto, since you seem to know all.

Mr Khan said:
True, sadly enough. It was not merely the lack of original games but the lack of effort in other spheres as well, but it is clear Nintendo left Wii to die starting this year.

At the end of the day it is a matter of development resources, however. If resources had been allotted to making more Wii games this year, 3DS might still be in its horrifying rut, and yes, Wii U is out there.

Part of the blame of course goes to 3rd parties who had abandoned the platform long before this year, but nobody likes to blame them when there's Nintendo to blame

Pull the other one. Of the big 3, Ninendo can do what it likes without fear of backlash. The Wii sells no matter if there are games or not, if it didn't then there would be some games.

1/10? No.
While the year was indeed awfully weak, and we basically had 2 or 3 compelling games released, Zelda was a very strong game, and while I was ultimately disappointed in some aspects, it was a incredible title.
Kirby, I didn't play it, but I guess it was okay.
Then we had Xenoblade for EU, many people called it the best jrpg this generation.
Last Story was released in Japan, another great title.

However, apart from that, we had NOTHING.
I guess my grade is 3/10.