By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - New war 360 vs Blu Ray?

MS & Sony are both going this route but digital download is not even close to being in a position where it would threaten optical media.

Around the Network
krik said:
Well, Sony can do just the same and I believe they just said something about it they will have a press conference about it in 2 months.

Actually the PS3 is even better positioned to be a digital download hub than the 360, since all PS3s have HD (replaceable + USB 2 external drives) and Gibabit ethernet+Wi-Fi (except 20Gb, no wifi).

Also Sony owns 2 movie studios and due to their Blu-ray partnership they probably have good contacts with other studios... so they they will most likely be able to match or even beat MS on content.

But then there are others interested in this market. Apple and Netflix just come to my mind. Microsoft will not have an easy way to win this one...

PS: Also, don't forget the PS3's DVR ability in Europe (forgot how it's called)

Can... is a long way from is doing.

Well I'm prepared, yesterday I shelfed my 360 premium and bought an elite. Come Microsoft, bring me the content.

I love having physical media, but also knowing how easy it is to break, scratch and the like - vs. being able to burn data (movies and music) onto media and/or copy it makes going digital the choice for me. And plus, I don't have to get up and change movies if I want to watch something else. I just have to stop the movie - go back to the menu and select another way - just like I do with my DVR.

In the US maybe. I dont think downloads will have mass appeal. Think of all the farming communities that only have a 56k connection.

It will be successful, but it won't kill the Dvd market. 

Around the Network

No, the DVD market is still going to be around for a very long time. But a least there are options for people that can and are able to use it.

I think the cost of the 120 gb 360 hard drive has to go down for the downloads to have more appeal.

I'm a filmmaker, writer, and gamer. Add me on Xbox Live or message me!

XBL Gamertag: StraitupBeastin

It differs a lot from region to region. A common item on the "tech trends 2008" charts in newspapers here in Sweden was "webtv (etc) breakthrough".

tk1989 said:
this has been a long time comming. This is the future as we know it, not bluray or hd dvd, but downloads.

sadlydownlaods are a while off. And streaming media is even farther. Its all due to internet speeds. Microsoft maybe able to offer the service but very few people will be willing to download 720p movies let alone 1080p pr the next round of resolutions 1440p, 1800p, or 4k. The file sizes will be anywhere from 15Gbs - 80GB  which even on my internet which is 15mbps it would take me 2 days to download a 40Gb movie if the host server is fast enough to support a 15mbps download. 

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

The PS3 can get all your media off your PC as well, and it can play more video codecs then the 360. It also has a removable HD, so that same cheap HD you have in your PC, you can put in your PS3, and never turn your PC on (other then to rip/copy the movie to the PS3).

It's funny. When the PS3 came out, everyone gave it crap for being a media device. Now the 360 is trying to be the same thing.