By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - New war 360 vs Blu Ray?

Slimebeast said:
ssj12 said:
tk1989 said:
this has been a long time comming. This is the future as we know it, not bluray or hd dvd, but downloads.

sadlydownlaods are a while off. And streaming media is even farther. Its all due to internet speeds. Microsoft maybe able to offer the service but very few people will be willing to download 720p movies let alone 1080p pr the next round of resolutions 1440p, 1800p, or 4k. The file sizes will be anywhere from 15Gbs - 80GB  which even on my internet which is 15mbps it would take me 2 days to download a 40Gb movie if the host server is fast enough to support a 15mbps download. 

I think your numbers are a bit off.

Isn't a connection speed running at 15mbps = 1.875 MB/s (since 1 bit = 1/8 byte)? That would give 112,5 MB per minute, and approx 6.5 GB per hour, meaning a 40GB movie would take 6 hours to download with your 15mbps connection ssj12, not 48 hours.

ssj12 said:

The transition to the super HD resolutions will take roughly 10 years but during the 10 years Blu-ray will have expanded it's available size to fit 4k+, before anyone questions the point of 4k+ movies are already being shot in 5k+ resolutions, 100GBs should be plenty to fit 4k+ and maybe 5k+if you go to the 8 layered Blu-ray discs (200GBs).

The bolded part made me curious. Can you remember where you've heard this, and do you know if it's a new and/or common trend to film movies in such high res (maybe they do it only for movies meant for IMAX...?)?

yep the 5k+ resolution is for IMAX HD films. Actually to be correct the alst resolution for IMAX HD I saw it would be 7K+ now. lol

Also you are right on the downlaod speed. Sadly most host servers only give like 400kb/s max, 600kb/s for filefront and a few others, which is sad to see for people with fast download speed. 

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Around the Network
crumas2 said:
ssj12 said:

not generally true. There are 4k+ sets. Sony had 2 on dispay (they were 80 inch screens). Several of the other companies also had 4k+ sets on display.

The transition to the super HD resolutions will take roughly 10 years but during the 10 years Blu-ray will have expanded it's available size to fit 4k+, before anyone questions the point of 4k+ movies are already being shot in 5k+ resolutions, 100GBs should be plenty to fit 4k+ and maybe 5k+if you go to the 8 layered Blu-ray discs (200GBs).

By that time internet speeds will be 15mbps minimum, hopefully, so downlaods will take off and movies on disc will be a opinional purchase like CDs are now. That being said there will always be the sense of want for physical media ;ike Blu-ray so formats will always exist. Remember there are still companies producing records (vinyl).There will always be CDs, and a movie format. DVDs will die followed by Blu-ray then the next format. It will be an ongoing chain.

I would agree that higher resolutions might become available through the Internet, but most consumers get their TV via broadcast. 

For the average consumer who wants to watch his or her episode of Monk or NCIS, the cable company or satellite is going to be the mass market choice for a while.  And if that infrastructure doesn't embrace ultra-high-def, the market for ultra-high-def TVs won't materialize.  Computer monitors... sure.  But not Joe Average's 46" plasma screen (or whatever we have by then).

How many years ago did people start buying HDTVs?  How many homes in the US now have an HDTV in their living room?  According to Neilsen, approx. 13.7% of US homes had HDTVs/HD-Tuners at the end of Oct.  I just can't imagine that in 10 years we're going to have a lot of US homes with 4K sets and that the cable, satellite, and over-the-air broadcasters are going to abandon the billions of dollars of HD equipment they've just installed.  It just doesn't make any sense, economically.

There are several things wrong with his root argument.

1. 4K sets are targeted at industrial and business applications, such as catscans and proofing adverts. There is no good reason why consumer 4k displays would become commonplace outside of very large sets - 1080p is more than enough for most sized sets, and even the larger TVs (60) wouldn't benefit much from 1440. Basically its diminishing returns and there is no good reason to go that pixel dense for consumers. Not to mention the increased cost, bandwidth issues, ect of 4k.

2. Bluray players cannot support 8 layer discs in their current state. This is not only because the current profile specifies 2x only but also because of the way the players are built - so if they were to change things you'd have to purchase a new player for new films. The 8 layer BR is target at archiving large amounts of data and is, again, not really meant for consumers.

Personally I'm waiting for the netflix set-top box. The convenience of being able to see thousands of films, especially foreign and independent, all at the click of a remote trumps what HD films are currently offering.

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

leo-j said:
Mistershine said:
Bill Gates said 12 months ago that hd-dvd/blu-ray would be the last physical medium. Also BT offering the 360 as their IPTV box has the possibility for a huge impact on game sales in the UK, especially if they are going to offer it for little or no cost.

IPTV is coming to ps3 first in the uk.

The PS3 is getting freeview/DVR capabilities in the UK, not IPTV. 

Heck I think all this media download stuff is cool. I may sound old fashioned, but I still prefer to have my CD and Movie collection in my house. I like having the cases. Plus with CD's you get the nice artwork the artist selected for the album. So, I guess my conclusion that I would prefer non digital whether it be Blue-Ray, HD DVD, or regular DVD's

PLAYSTATON NETWORK: BLOODLINEZ

Around the Network

Apparently the audio CD market is shrinking but it think untill everyone has ADSL2+ or Optic fibre to the home DVD is still going to be around , and certanly Hi-Def downloads cost more in time , electricity ,storage and ISP costs to download than to actually buy a blu-ray disk.!
Not sayin it wont happen it is but it's not cost effective for most people yet.

Interesting times though.

PS3 number 1 fan

Isn't the industry putting the cart before the horse? I mean music downloads really started getting pushed by the industry AFTER pirating music started gaining popularity. Pirating movies do not seem to be taking off. Maybe the industry is trying to prevent what happened to the record labels from ever happening in movies. But I think that by making people realize they can download movies online people are much more likely to realize that they can find it for free online.

Nintendownsmii said:
Isn't the industry putting the cart before the horse? I mean music downloads really started getting pushed by the industry AFTER pirating music started gaining popularity. Pirating movies do not seem to be taking off. Maybe the industry is trying to prevent what happened to the record labels from ever happening in movies. But I think that by making people realize they can download movies online people are much more likely to realize that they can find it for free online.

Actually, movie piracy online via BitTorrent is a growing problem.  Some people have fairly fast internet connections (6-12 Mb/sec), and some people with lower-speed connections are willing to wait a few hours to get a movie for free.

I believe the MPAA watched the music-industry piracy unfold and decided not to wait to get in front of online distribution.  But it's still a lot of data for most internet connections, so I'm thinking downloading movies for pay won't catch on until typical bandwidth is around 56 Mb/sec... basically something like FIOS.