By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Which console will be the most powerful next gen?

Which next gen console will be the most powerful?

Next Box 156 31.77%

Wii U 75 15.27%

PS4 260 52.95%

Total:491

I will say "Next Box", Sony is hurting for money so they cannot afford to put in as much R&D into a machine to make it that much more power. Microsoft on the other hand should have enough to put in what they want, which may not be that much to keep the console consumer friendly. So the difference will probably be next to none for all three.

Around the Network
Jumpin said:
PS4 since it will release in 2016 and the others will release in 2012/13

No way PS4 is releasing that late. 2014 is the absolute latest they will launch, launching 3-4 years after the competition would most likely be a death wish.

Play4Fun said:
yo_john117 said:

Just a simple question. Say which console you think will be the most powerful next gen and why.

I personally think the PS4 will be the most powerful because Sony will want to keep that image of having the most powerful console like they do with the PS3. 

Really Lame and bad reason, IMO.

PS1 and PS2 were Sony's most successful consoles despite not being the most powerful of their gen, PS3 was their least successful and the most powerful of this gen.

And yet, you think they should look to their PS3 strategy next gen to 'keep up an image' and not what they did back then with PS1 and PS2.

Anyways, MS is in a better financially position to make the most powerful console than Sony is.

I don't necessarily think they should, I just think they will. Big difference there buddy.

I am hoping its the next Xbox because they have more money to sell for loss on launch considering they lost gazillions on RRODs

I will say PS4 based on a few reasons. First, it may release a year later than the NextBox. And second, a new Cell with more cores will likely be just more powerful than the NextBox's updated CPU. However, I feel it will be basically the same scenario as this generation, where the NextBox has a better GPU and overall the graphics will be the same with maybe small differences in exclusive games.

Around the Network
brendude13 said:
Jumpin said:

Don't put it past them. 1. They launched a console at 600 USD.

It was $599 ACTUALLY...

Not to belabor the point, but it was $599.99, which when rounded up is $600.

Adinnieken said:
brendude13 said:
Jumpin said:

Don't put it past them. 1. They launched a console at 600 USD.

It was $599 ACTUALLY...

Not to belabor the point, but it was $599.99, which when rounded up is $600.

Buzzkill >.<

It's still a cent short.

thismeintiel said:
Play4Fun said:
Zappykins said:

I'm a little surprised that the WiiU doesn't use state of the art DirectX 11, but instead uses the older 10.1. I hope this doesn't mean Microsoft is saving DirectX 11 for the Next Box.  While great, I don't want to  be limited to DX 11 or DX 11.1 as we will be locked into already several year old tech for another bunch of years. (Please innovate with DirectX 12 or more!)

Can I ask where you got that information from? K'thnx.

Also, DX11 has been out for a while now but devs  just recently started  using it in PC games. Most games are still using DX 9 and 10. Devs don't make a mass jump on to a new API as soon as it is released, the transition  takes a couple of years.

Even Epic gave us Samaritan as what they expect from next gen consoles and that's a DX11 demo.

You seriously think the Wii U is going to pull off graphics like the Good Samaritan demo?  We have already seen a preview of the Wii U graphics and they are closer to the level the PS3 can pull than the ones in the Samaritan demo.

WTF?...

Where did I say Wii-U is going to be doing Samaritan demo?...reading comprehension fail.

Oh, and demoes thrown together a few weeks before E3 using current gen assets on unfinalised hardware is in no way, shape or form a 'preview' of the final wii-U console capabilities.

yo_john117 said:
Play4Fun said:
yo_john117 said:

Just a simple question. Say which console you think will be the most powerful next gen and why.

I personally think the PS4 will be the most powerful because Sony will want to keep that image of having the most powerful console like they do with the PS3. 

PS1 and PS2 were Sony's most successful consoles despite not being the most powerful of their gen, PS3 was their least successful and the most powerful of this gen.

And yet, you think they should look to their PS3 strategy next gen to 'keep up an image' and not what they did back then with PS1 and PS2.

Anyways, MS is in a better financially position to make the most powerful console than Sony is.

I don't necessarily think they should, I just think they will. Big difference there buddy.

Yeah, but I don't think Sony is stupid, buddy.

I'm sure they now what they've done wrong this gen.

Play4Fun said:
yo_john117 said:
Play4Fun said:
yo_john117 said:

Yeah, but I don't think Sony is stupid, buddy.

I'm sure they now what they've done wrong this gen.

Yeah and that was having a high price point. They can still be the most powerful next gen and not be that expensive.

Part of their problem with the PS3 price was adding Blu-ray in but now that is so much cheaper.