By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - TorrentFreak lists 2011's top ten pirated movies

Films like Harry Potter, Twilight, and Pirates of the Caribbean, which were in the top five by international gross, appear to have scored much lower as their advantage of appealing to wide audiences may have been negated. The appearance of low-grossing films like Sucker Punch, 127 Hours, and Source Code are also a clue of the demographics of pirates. Of course, it's impossible to account for every statistic with such broad generalizations — the absence of Transformers and the appearance of Rango are harder to explain.

Below we've reproduced TorrentFreak's top ten chart, which was collected "from several sources, including reports from thousands of BitTorrent trackers" and includes "all release formats, including cammed versions." We've added each movie's worldwide gross ranking from Box Office Mojo.

Rank Movie Downloads Gross revenue Gross rank
1 Fast Five 9,260,000 $626,137,675 6
2 The Hangover Part II 8,840,000 $581,464,305 7
3 Thor 8,330,000 $449,326,618 12
4 Source Code 7,910,000 $123,278,618 53
5 I am Number Four 7,670,000 $144,500,437 44
6 Sucker Punch 7,200,000 $89,792,502 65
7 127 Hours 6,910,000 $60,738,797 N/A*
8 Rango 6,480,000 $245,155,348 20
9 The King's Speech 6,250,000 $414,211,549 N/A*
10 Harry Potter and the
Deathly Hallows Part 2
6,030,000 $1,328,111,219 1

* Movie came out in 2010, not ranked on Box Office Mojo's list of "2011 Worldwide Grosses"

SOURCE

Around the Network

Yeah I read this in CNN xd!

Wow man, Fast Five with 9.26 mil! xD

I would of thought HP would be a bit higher but I guess not o.o

Basil's YouTube Channel

I'm surprised big blockbusters like Pirates 4 and Transformers 3 aren't in the list.

I honestly havent heard some of the movies in the list...its probably because i'm not a huge movie watcher...

But ya like Boutros said I'm surprised those two movies werent on the list, can understand why X-Men first class wasnt on that list, probably somewhere around #11-15.

Basil's YouTube Channel

127 hours, King's Speech's presence can easily be understood because they didn't have a simultaneous WW launch and they had Oscar buzz, so the rest of the world wanted to see what all the fuzz was about. Can't explain why Fast Five is number 1 though. A lot of car nuts on torrent sites?

Around the Network
pezus said:
127 hours, King's Speech's presence can easily be understood because they didn't have a simultaneous WW launch and they had Oscar buzz, so the rest of the world wanted to see what all the fuzz was about. Can't explain why Fast Five is number 1 though. A lot of car nuts on torrent sites?

Could be wrong but I suspect some movie downloads are driven by people who are ashamed to buy/rent a movie and/or expect it to be so bad that they'll turn it off ...

HappySqurriel said:
pezus said:

Could be wrong but I suspect some movie downloads are driven by people who are ashamed to buy/rent a movie and/or expect it to be so bad that they'll turn it off ...

Yeah, but Fast Five got pretty good reviews. It's not like the movie was bad

pezus said:
HappySqurriel said:
pezus said:

Yeah, but Fast Five got pretty good reviews. It's not like the movie was bad

With the economy bad throughout the world, people are gonna use the excuse "Why should I use up my savings when I could get the content for free"? (Or somewhere along those lines lol).

Edit: off topic but just realized I got 900 posts wootcakes ;)

Basil's YouTube Channel

pezus said:

Vin Diesel has a HUGE internet fanbase.Just check his facebook page,he only has like 29.000.000 fans.

Mordred11 said:
pezus said:

Vin Diesel has a HUGE internet fanbase.Just check his facebook page,he only has like 29.000.000 fans.

lol wow