By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How in the hell has PS2 managed to sell over 100 million systems?

I mean, that's one of the most impressive achievements in video-game history. Even the DS, which could possibly sell around 60+ million units by X-mas, will have taken 3 years to hit that mark once it finally happens. I doubt it'll actually break the PS2's record, even though it's flying off shelves. And we're talking about a HOME system here. What set of miracles transpired to catapult this hardware into super-stardom? No-one can argue that it's success, while welcome, is extraordinarily remarkable, and might never be replicated. *** Please, no trolling/console-war flaming fanboy bullshit -- trying to have a civil discussion here.

Around the Network

Well one thing is that a lot of people have bought the console more than once (same can also be said for GBA / GB / PS / DS really). An interesting set of stats would be to see how many people really own each when this (plus returns / failed units etc) is taken into account...

Has anyone had a reliable PS2? I have to take mine apart every few months to empty the dust out of the lazer unit because it had stopped reading the discs, 2 people I know are on there 4th PS2. I would not be surprised if most sales today are replacing a broken one after all I originaly brought a PS2 to play the last disc off FF7 after my 2nd PS1 blow up.

Wii - 3348 5602 9364 2110

Mario Kart - 0474 1321 9262

My PS2 has been working perfectly since I got it about 3 years ago, my bro is also on his first which is about 5 years old, probably more. you guys are just unlucky :P

As people have said, the ps2 did have a pretty high deficiency rate during the first year of its launch period and probably stayed pretty high for a period of time. However, I've only bought one ps2 and 4 years later it's still working perfectly fine. For some reason, I usually get pretty reliable hardware from sony...TVs, other electronics, and the original playstation (bought it at launch, had it for 11 years now and it still works fine as well). Who knows, maybe I'm just lucky.

yo

Around the Network

I havent got a Playstation 2 but I have a Playstation 1 and a PSP and they both work flawlessly .....I am quite pleased with the quality of the Sony products .And the PS3 seems to go after the PS1 and PSP moulds and not the PS2 with its cheap components .

OmegaXeno102 said: As people have said, the ps2 did have a pretty high deficiency rate during the first year of its launch period and probably stayed pretty high for a period of time. However, I've only bought one ps2 and 4 years later it's still working perfectly fine. For some reason, I usually get pretty reliable hardware from sony...TVs, other electronics, and the original playstation (bought it at launch, had it for 11 years now and it still works fine as well). Who knows, maybe I'm just lucky.
I have s PSP, PS2, and had a PS1. They all worked great not one failer. I sold my PS1 to a friend and a month later he told me the cover broke off of it and it was junk. I think its just peoples carelessness.

fgsduilfgasuklwgefidslzfgb4yiogwefhawi4fbielat5gy240bh3e

Playstations stop reading discs because there badly built not because of there owners not taking care of them, my Atari 2600 still goes fine after over 20 years and have had no problems with any Sega or Nintendo console.

Wii - 3348 5602 9364 2110

Mario Kart - 0474 1321 9262

Komodo said: Playstations stop reading discs because there badly built not because of there owners not taking care of them, my Atari 2600 still goes fine after over 20 years and have had no problems with any Sega or Nintendo console.
Well lets just put it this way not one of my consoles went to hell on me.

fgsduilfgasuklwgefidslzfgb4yiogwefhawi4fbielat5gy240bh3e

Four things have contributed to the PS2's incredible sales. 1. Built in DVD player. (This really helped in Japan) 2. 1 Year Headstart. The GC and X-box released a full year after the PS2. This allowed Sony to recover from the system's pathetic launch. A build a library of games people wanted to play. 3. Broad 3rd party support. The year head start allowed Sony to build a substantial userbase which garnered them continued third party support and a bevy of exclusives. 4. Shoddy product quality. I have never seen a system as fragile as the PS2. It amazes me that my Sega Saturn is still functional. Yet my PS2 bit the big one after a year and a half. I figured I had a lemon, until I went to Sony's offical site and saw endless threads about DRE. That combined with the class action lawsuit they settled over DRE leads me to believe that a significant portion of the PS2 userbase is made up of consoles that no longer function.