By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo, please loosen Retro's leash this time.

NintendoFanDj said:

You miss one Raven Blade for Gamecube!!
http://www.gamefaqs.com/gamecube/516504-raven-blade

See this was gonna be a game to appeal to older folks but the way folks treated Nintendo with Gamecube it was canceled.

You do realize that Retro had multiple development teams each with some decent artistic talent but, because Retro lacked the technical talent to support multiple projects, these additional teams were closed and the talent was consolidated into one "super" team. While Raven Blade had potential, Retro really could only develop one game at a time and the choice was Raven Blade or Metroid Prime; and I suspect the right choice was made.

Around the Network
HappySqurriel said:
NintendoFanDj said:

See this was gonna be a game to appeal to older folks but the way folks treated Nintendo with Gamecube it was canceled.

You do realize that Retro had multiple development teams each with some decent artistic talent but, because Retro lacked the technical talent to support multiple projects, these additional teams were closed and the talent was consolidated into one "super" team. While Raven Blade had potential, Retro really could only develop one game at a time and the choice was Raven Blade or Metroid Prime; and I suspect the right choice was made.

Metroid Prime and this was develop like pretty at the same time.

"Nintendo fan for life"

NintendoFanDj said:
HappySqurriel said:
NintendoFanDj said:

Not even close ... Raven Blade was in development when the Gamecube was still the Dolphin and Retro was a second party developer, it was canceled in favour of Metroid Prime.

Just because you're good at making good games using other peoples ideas.
Or under their leash.

Does not mean they'll be successful if nintendo turns them loose.

If I remember correctly Miyamoto, and other people have had quite an influence over the direction the RETRO games took.
RETRO has been successful under their current conditions. If those conditions change, Things could go, good or bad.

sounds like retro has a good deal going. i dont see why they would want to turn their backs on the masters.

Around the Network

LOL, this i really silly.

Metroid Prime is the most innovative and different from the others in the series.

So is for Mario Kart 7.

I don't see how this could be bad, they don't do at all a more of the same of the projects they take.

Spiders den are not for men.

My gaming channel: Stefano and the Spiders.

http://www.youtube.com/user/MultiSpider87?feature=mhum

HappySqurriel said:
NintendoFanDj said:
HappySqurriel said:
NintendoFanDj said:

Not even close ... Raven Blade was in development when the Gamecube was still the Dolphin and Retro was a second party developer, it was canceled in favour of Metroid Prime.

BLah Blah Blah they showed it at E3 along with Metroid Prime.

"Nintendo fan for life"

NintendoFanDj said:
HappySqurriel said:
NintendoFanDj said:
HappySqurriel said:
NintendoFanDj said:

BLah Blah Blah they showed it at E3 along with Metroid Prime.

After repeated techical setbacks Raven Blade was canceled in July 2001, 9 members of its development team moved to the Metroid Prime team, and Metroid Prime was released 16 months later ...

Unless Metroid Prime had an unusally long development timeline, or unless Raven Blade was a game that was somehow repeatedly plagued by technical difficulties after only being developed for a couple of months, Raven Blade was canceled in the middle of development to direct resources towards a relatively new project.

ishiki said:

Just because you're good at making good games using other peoples ideas.
Or under their leash.

Does not mean they'll be successful if nintendo turns them loose.

If I remember correctly Miyamoto, and other people have had quite an influence over the direction the RETRO games took.
RETRO has been successful under their current conditions. If those conditions change, Things could go, good or bad.

Correct, Nintendo has had a hand in the development of all of Retro's projects and being given freedom doesn't mean things will get better, as Rare showed the more freedom the more off the rails they went. The leash on Retro is fine, people leave studio's all the time and new people come in and replace them as long as Nintendo are there to guide them Retro will be fine, they should expect to be on a leash anyway being a first party studio that was set up in a partnership deal.

Anyone want an example of what happens when freedom is given? Last Guardian, leaking money and has taken all gen to develop and still isn't out by the time it arrives the next gen will be here and the studio has yet to release a game this gen because of it.