By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Digital Foundry: New 360 dash borks video playback

Tagged games:

Whilst the pics in the link do look different I haven't noticed any color change on my 360.

BTW did is it true that MS deleted threads on that issue because I'm mixed information on that. (I don't want some random answering this question)

Around the Network
pezus said:
selnor said:
pezus said:
Millenium said:
pezus said:
Millenium said:
Haven't really checked out many videos since the dashboard, so I'll give it a whirl later, but so far I haven't really encountered any issues.

Don't think it will really affect Microsoft at all, and I'm sure they're working on a fix, these things take time.

Yeah, but why do you think they're deleting threads about it?

If I had to hazard a guess, they know about the problem, they know they're gonna fix it, they most likely know it will only affect a percentage of the userbase, but in the mean time they want as little exposure about it as possible, it's fairly common in the industry.

Just what I personally think though :)

Nonono, this is just straight-up communism! Reminds me of Stalin 

/notreally

Deleting are they?

http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_forums/xbox_support/f/30/t/157004.aspx

Seems a website didnt check properly. 

M$ confirm in the link above they are trying to find a problem. An actual M$ representative is talking to the forum members. 

Thats what you call a fantastic reaction.

EDIT: I was having some issues also. Just 2 mins ago, I recieved a notification on using MSN app, which said 9mb update. Installed i and now the video quality is perfect again.

Thanks for the fix to MSN M$.

Now just need 1 for Lovefilm.

:)

Just to let you know, that thread above has nothing to do with what Eurogamer was reporting. Read the article

Hmmmmm. It would apear your right. 

Although Ive noticed no grey issue with the blacks on my playback.

But then I dont use anything besides MSN, LOvefilm, Youtube and Zune for 1080p films.

henhowc said:
The Eurogamer report is fairly accurate. The deleting of feedback they are referencing is NOT from the Xbox.com forums. It is the private bug/feedback page available to beta testers via connect.microsoft.com.

http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_forums/xbox_support/f/30/t/157004.aspx is not even a relevant thread. That thread is explicitly about video buffering issues for streaming content and has nothing to do with the Eurogamer article.

never go to this website since the designer of metro ui is my friend so i can ask him for any problem

i sent the message to him,let's see will he reply me

pezus said:
selnor said:
pezus said:
Millenium said:
pezus said:
Millenium said:
Haven't really checked out many videos since the dashboard, so I'll give it a whirl later, but so far I haven't really encountered any issues.

Don't think it will really affect Microsoft at all, and I'm sure they're working on a fix, these things take time.

Yeah, but why do you think they're deleting threads about it?

If I had to hazard a guess, they know about the problem, they know they're gonna fix it, they most likely know it will only affect a percentage of the userbase, but in the mean time they want as little exposure about it as possible, it's fairly common in the industry.

Just what I personally think though :)

Nonono, this is just straight-up communism! Reminds me of Stalin 

/notreally

Deleting are they?

http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_forums/xbox_support/f/30/t/157004.aspx

Seems a website didnt check properly. 

M$ confirm in the link above they are trying to find a problem. An actual M$ representative is talking to the forum members. 

Thats what you call a fantastic reaction.

EDIT: I was having some issues also. Just 2 mins ago, I recieved a notification on using MSN app, which said 9mb update. Installed i and now the video quality is perfect again.

Thanks for the fix to MSN M$.

Now just need 1 for Lovefilm.

:)

Just to let you know, that thread above has nothing to do with what Eurogamer was reporting. Read the article

damn,posted wrong thread

http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_forums/general_discussion/f/341/t/157238.aspx

i think so
like there is quick play button(or bing if you have too many games in your hdd) and he still said it's harder to find
or you can just close your eye then keep pressing "A" to not seeing something hurt your life and get in the retail games

most funny thing is there's a guy don't have and don't even plan to buy a 360(maybe he will said "i was thinking to buy it blah blah blah") but keep posting something to make he feel he's(or they're) winning

Around the Network
pezus said:
A pretty funny comment from a user on Eurogamer (+95 comment rating):
"Anyway, this is pretty shocking stuff. This update seems to have made the 360 a shitter console. Video playback is now worse, it's harder to find my games, I had to block the ad server on my router, and the UI looks and feels absolutely awful: it's, for want of a better word, totally vulgar in its rapacious consumerism. So much so that I'm going to take a long hard look at their next console before I make a decision on it: I hate being treated as a cash cow to be milked. They've broken a facility I used to use a lot in order to introduce a new dash full of ads? I'm going to keep my distance from the company in future, thank you."

Why is that a funny comment?

I guess it's pretty obvious who the main install base at Eurogamer is

pezus said:
"Anyway, this is pretty shocking stuff. This update seems to have made the 360 a shitter console. Video playback is now worse, it's harder to find my games, I had to block the ad server on my router, and the UI looks and feels absolutely awful: it's, for want of a better word, totally vulgar in its rapacious consumerism. So much so that I'm going to take a long hard look at their next console before I make a decision on it: I hate being treated as a cash cow to be milked. They've broken a facility I used to use a lot in order to introduce a new dash full of ads? I'm going to keep my distance from the company in future, thank you."

That's funny because I feel the complete opposite. 

pezus said:
yo_john117 said:
pezus said:

Maybe funny isn't the right word but I'm sure that's how I'd feel if ads were shoved down my throat when I just wanted to play games. 

Bolded: I guess you haven't read a lot of comments on Eurogamer then. This is generally how the gaming population of the internet feels about ads, regardless of their platform of choice.

But.....ads aren't being shoved down your throat, not in the least.

pezus said:
yo_john117 said:
pezus said:
yo_john117 said:
pezus said:

Maybe funny isn't the right word but I'm sure that's how I'd feel if ads were shoved down my throat when I just wanted to play games. 

Bolded: I guess you haven't read a lot of comments on Eurogamer then. This is generally how the gaming population of the internet feels about ads, regardless of their platform of choice.

But.....ads aren't being shoved down your throat, not in the least.

Well, that's a pretty big ad space at least: 

If I was paying for the service I'd be pretty pished. No reason to have lots of ads when you're already paying them a lot of money per year to use it.

First off even if you count all 3 of those as ads they aren't being forced on you, it's not like TV or Hulu Plus or DVD's (and I assume Blue-ray) or YouTube or Vgchartz or pretty much any other entertainment website/device that makes you either watch the ad and there's nothing you can do to skip it or you have to press skip to get past it. Secondly there's actually only 1 ad on there, the others are just new things that have come to XBL. Thirdly they've even toned it down from that pic that you see there because here is a pic I just took of the dashboard. 

So yeah if something extremely trivial like that is enough to piss you off then I'm sure that things like Cable, DVD's and Blu-rays, watching movies in theaters, payed services like Hulu Plus must make you just livid beyond belief. 

I noticed the grey blacks straight away when I wanted to rent a movie on Zune with the new dashboard.

There is a way to get around it on displays wich use standard video reference levels (black at 16).
Set the 360 HDMI color space to RGB and set expanded reference levels. Games and the dashboard won't display properly (blacks are cut off and the picture is too dark) but when you play a movie it will be in the correct range of 16-240.
If not the movies are displayed in 32-224 range, greyer blacks and generally crushed color.
You'll have to switch back and forth between games and video content.

There is currently no way to get movies in full RGB 0-255 range for pc monitors, at least not with HDMI output.

DVD playback through the HD-DVD drive is unaffected luckily. (yay it's still good for something, quiet dvd playback). Sucks though the HD-DVD drive is tucked away under my apps now. I could not find it at first.

Talking about comments on Eurogamer, this one is pretty worrying

"@Zerobob You're correct that video output is no longer pixel to pixel. With the old dashboard, you could play a 1080p resolution chart (search for "AVS 709" to find good calibration videos) and while there was some notable issues, it mostly seemed to pass the full resolution (whereas the 360's picture viewer has always downscaled, which was obvious with a 1080p resolution chart). The new dashboard very clearly seems to be downscaling below 1080p for playback. Worse, if you display a single-pixel checkerboard in Windows Media Center now, you get some bizarre color banding, so neither that nor the dashboard's video player seem to fully display 1080p files anymore."