By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Digital Foundry: New 360 dash borks video playback

Tagged games:

trust internet forum=death road

but well,people who hating metro ui guess even less than 40% even on internet,but complaint always louder

Around the Network

go check the neogaf E3 2008 MS Conf thread then,i checked
people in internet just same every year
and is some of complaints is pointless because MS didn't remove it,it's because they just didn't notice it and it's not hard to find it

btw the most funny thing is there's a guy may don't have and don't even plan to buy a 360(maybe he will said "i was thinking to buy it blah blah blah") but keep posting something to make he feel he's(or they're) winning

pezus said:
yo_john117 said:
pezus said:
=

First off even if you count all 3 of those as ads they aren't being forced on you, it's not like TV or Hulu Plus or DVD's (and I assume Blue-ray) or YouTube or Vgchartz or pretty much any other entertainment website/device that makes you either watch the ad and there's nothing you can do to skip it or you have to press skip to get past it. Secondly there's actually only 1 ad on there, the others are just new things that have come to XBL. Thirdly they've even toned it down from that pic that you see there because here is a pic I just took of the dashboard. 

So yeah if something extremely trivial like that is enough to piss you off then I'm sure that things like Cable, DVD's and Blu-rays, watching movies in theaters, payed services like Hulu Plus must make you just livid beyond belief. 

Well yeah, they do. And it's not like I'm the only one who'd be pissed. Look around on the internet, people are pretty pissed.

Seriously people need a reality check if they get pissed over 1 small ad in the corner when just about every payed service out there makes you watch commercials. And hell look at that ad...it's promoting Halo Waypoint so that could hardly be considered an ad.

And no there are not anymore people pissed off about this update then any other update MS has rolled out. There have been plenty of people who have gotten pissed off at the other 2 updates. 

And the ads are in all likely hood just a scapegoat for these people to vent because they hate any type of change with a passion regardless at how good the update is. It happens everytime there's an update on this website and it will happen everytime in the future just like every update for the 360.

pezus said:
yo_john117 said:
pezus said:
A pretty funny comment from a user on Eurogamer (+95 comment rating):
"Anyway, this is pretty shocking stuff. This update seems to have made the 360 a shitter console. Video playback is now worse, it's harder to find my games, I had to block the ad server on my router, and the UI looks and feels absolutely awful: it's, for want of a better word, totally vulgar in its rapacious consumerism. So much so that I'm going to take a long hard look at their next console before I make a decision on it: I hate being treated as a cash cow to be milked. They've broken a facility I used to use a lot in order to introduce a new dash full of ads? I'm going to keep my distance from the company in future, thank you."

Why is that a funny comment?

I guess it's pretty obvious who the main install base at Eurogamer is

Maybe funny isn't the right word but I'm sure that's how I'd feel if ads were shoved down my throat when I just wanted to play games. 

Bolded: I guess you haven't read a lot of comments on Eurogamer then. This is generally how the gaming population of the internet feels about ads, regardless of their platform of choice.

Just so we are clear, there is less ads in new dash than the old one. 

I'm on right now and count 6. 

Compared to the 10 or so on the old dash.

pezus said:

Well, that's a pretty big ad space at least: 

If I was paying for the service I'd be pretty pished. No reason to have lots of ads when you're already paying them a lot of money per year to use it.

Let't break that picture down, shall we?

• Upper left:  A copy of Halo Reach is in the disc tray
  • Lower left:  All of the recent games that the person has played.
  • The middle:  Like the opening page of IGN, it switches ever couple of seconds to show what's new on XBL.  Apparently X-Men First Class is now available in videos.
  • Upper right:  What's new or on sale in the Video section.  Apparently 30 Rock is availabel on XBL.
  • Lower right:  An add for the Windows Phone 7

It's just a quick glance of what you'll find if you go to the games, movies, TV, apps section.

*Turns on PS3*

Hmm,  There;s a "ticker" in the upper right.  It says that L.A. Noire (with a discount), Trine 2, and Sonic CD are available for download.  It asks me to watch the new episod of "Pulse", NOW.  It says that the movie Columbiana is available to download in the Video section.  Ooh!  Marvel Pinball and Tomb Raider Underworld are free to PS Plus users!!  That's good to know if I were in the market for such things.  There's some other stuff about getting paid to play online, some music artists, and a free trial for some service that worth $19.99.  All of this stuff without me pressing a single button!  Now, when I DO click on the "What's New button, I get.....*

Now, is it okay for Sony to take up a small portion of the screen to "advertise" what's available on the PSN?  I think it's pretty cool, myself.  Even the Wii shows what's available in the Wii Shop Channel and the Nintendo Channel!!  Why is it suddenly wrong to know what's on your own console?

Around the Network
kowenicki said:

Beat me to it, I was just about to render the same comparison.

Notice all of the typos!  I was using split screen on my TV.  Half the screen was VGChartz and the other half was PS3.  Needless to say, I couldn't see shit!