By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Ron Paul did something amazing last night

Considering the current state of the American economy and the deficits being run, can anyone explain HOW the United States can afford to go to war with Iran?  Will the part that won't raise taxes on the rich for ANY reason, including letting the Bush tax cuts expire, explain how the USA is supposed to pay for a war against Iran?  Maybe the can amend the Defense Appropriations Act so that it not only can detain US citizens without trial, but can execute suspected terrorists on the sport without trial.  Then label all the elderly and poor terrorists and unleash the gattling guns (someone's suggestion on what to do with Occupy), and be done with it.  

Around the Network

A majority of all big time republicans are huge supporters of the military-industrial complex and defense spending in general so big thumbs up to Ron Paul for not being a typical war hawk republican.

Slimebeast said:
Ron Paul is amazing. I don't understand why the Christian right won't give him its full support.

He'd be a phenomenal President.

I don't think its the Christian right that is his problem. Every Christian straw poll I've seen taken (from places like Family Research Council and the like) put Ron Paul as the winner every time.

The people that don't want Ron Paul as the GOP nominee are the Republican and Democratic party cheifs that don't want any change. Every time an ideologically differing candidate is out there, they squash them. The media is in on it as well. During the debates, he gets less air time than most other candidates, despite polling consistently in 3rd place. They rarely ask him questions, as they know he's going to say something that most of America agrees with.

Ron Paul frightens a lot of people because he's an independant voice. I know liberals, conservatives, Christians, and atheists that would gladly vote for him. That scares the power bases, because it'd usher in paleoconservatism/libertarianism which would utterly destroy the liberal/conservative dichotomy.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

To be fair democrats support a big defense budget.

Obama was quite cozy with defense keeping Gates as defense Security who served under Bush.

richardhutnik said:

Considering the current state of the American economy and the deficits being run, can anyone explain HOW the United States can afford to go to war with Iran?  Will the part that won't raise taxes on the rich for ANY reason, including letting the Bush tax cuts expire, explain how the USA is supposed to pay for a war against Iran?  Maybe the can amend the Defense Appropriations Act so that it not only can detain US citizens without trial, but can execute suspected terrorists on the sport without trial.  Then label all the elderly and poor terrorists and unleash the gattling guns (someone's suggestion on what to do with Occupy), and be done with it.  

Well we COULD fight a clinton style war.

Drop outdated soon to be decommisoned bombs onto them.

Then we're just paying for gas essentially.

Not that i'd advise it.

Around the Network
mrstickball said:
Slimebeast said:
Ron Paul is amazing. I don't understand why the Christian right won't give him its full support.

I don't think its the Christian right that is his problem. Every Christian straw poll I've seen taken (from places like Family Research Council and the like) put Ron Paul as the winner every time.

The people that don't want Ron Paul as the GOP nominee are the Republican and Democratic party cheifs that don't want any change. Every time an ideologically differing candidate is out there, they squash them. The media is in on it as well. During the debates, he gets less air time than most other candidates, despite polling consistently in 3rd place. They rarely ask him questions, as they know he's going to say something that most of America agrees with.

Ron Paul frightens a lot of people because he's an independant voice. I know liberals, conservatives, Christians, and atheists that would gladly vote for him. That scares the power bases, because it'd usher in paleoconservatism/libertarianism which would utterly destroy the liberal/conservative dichotomy.

Okay, good to hear that at least the Christian voters aren't against him. But I wish the organized Christians would go together and back him like they did with Bush or whatever. From my personal Christian perspective Ron Paul is the best man both from a religious and a secular view. Religion out of politics is a very Christian principle (although complicated in practice).

Didn't you have Ron Paul as your number one for a long while? I member you praising him for his narcotics policies and lots of other good stuff. But I think I saw recently that you now have Ron Paul on 2nd place and had another name that I didn't recognize as your favorite candidate for President. Why the change? Could you elaborate on this?

Nik24 said:

-
 - 
 - 
 - 

He wants to eliminate the FED and various departments like education! 

The Federal Reserve is one of the main players in the economic crisis. They set interest rates too low, and print too much money, which results in a vast expansion of credit and high inflation, which leads to greater mal-investments, and, thus, larger recessions/depressions.

The department of education has a terrible track record, and is illegal. Under the constitution there are no provisions for such a department, and the department also violates the 10th Amendment. Ron Paul wants to give the ability to educate back to the states. You will still have your public education systems, but they'll just be run a lot better, and your local schools won't be dictated to by some pencil-pushers in Washington. 

He wants to get rid of student loans

He doesn't want to get rid of student loans, he wants the Federal government to stop backing them. Kids will still be able to get loans, but they will have to be private, or the individual states can back them/offer subsidies, or whatever (as some do). Government backed student loans increases the cost of education, as the universities have a guarantee that they will get their money, so they charge whatever the hell they please. Government backed student loans distort the price mechanism, and are the cause of the trillion dollars of student debt.

He doesn't believe in Climate Change (granted, the whole Republican Party hates science)

What does it matter if he doesn't believe in climate change? The free market naturally decarbonizes, anyway, so let it be. I'm not going to get into this, anyway, as the point of Ron Paul's philosophies is that it doesn't matter what he believes in.

He is against the Civil Rights Act!!!

http://www.ronpaul.com/on-the-issues/civil-rights-act/

Slimebeast said:
mrstickball said:
Slimebeast said:

Okay, good to hear that at least the Christian voters aren't against him. But I wish the organized Christians would go together and back him like they did with Bush or whatever. From my personal Christian perspective Ron Paul is the best man both from a religious and a secular view. Religion out of politics is a very Christian principle (although complicated in practice).

Didn't you have Ron Paul as your number one for a long while? I member you praising him for his narcotics policies and lots of other good stuff. But I think I saw recently that you now have Ron Paul on 2nd place and had another name that I didn't recognize as your favorite candidate for President. Why the change? Could you elaborate on this?

This is Ron Paul's last election cycle. He's said so himself. If he doesn't win, he's retiring. Because of that, the face and hope of liberty will change if he doesn't win. There is another man that is running for president, Gary Johnson, that holds the same views as Ron, but has executive experience (governor of New Mexico), and is in his mid-50's. One of the coolest, best stories ever - started a handyman company in NM, then turned it into a multi-million dollar enterprise, then ran for governor as a Republican and won in a state that is 2/3rds Democrat. He's essentially a younger Ron Paul.

I am voting for him *if* he's a viable candidate. Otherwise, I will indeed vote for Ron Paul. Supposedly, Gary is going to seek the Libertarian Party's nomination since the media has abjectively screwed him out of the race.

You can read up on Gary at: http://www.garyjohnson2012.com

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

If Ron Paul doesn't become the Republican candidate for 2012 it'll be a sad time for America.

America needs a 3rd party to compete with the Republicans and Democrats, call it the Libertarians or something. Guys like Ron Paul, Gary Johnson and Judge Napolitano would be great candidates for that type of party.

Marks said:
If Ron Paul doesn't become the Republican candidate for 2012 it'll be a sad time for America.

America needs a 3rd party to compete with the Republicans and Democrats, call it the Libertarians or something. Guys like Ron Paul, Gary Johnson and Judge Napolitano would be great candidates for that type of party.

Nah, we need someone like the Judge to be in the Supreme Court.