By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - The heck, PS3 DMC4 requires 25 min hard drive installation?!

It removes all load times, it's not on 360 because they don't require all systems to have hard drives, which means not everyone would benefit.

Around the Network

This is a win. PS3 fans should be happy to play the best action game, with awesome graphics, 60 FPS and not have any load times.

It's only 25min. These stupid firmware updates that Sony keep releasing take up more then double the time and only benefit a minority. The DMC4 install is a massive benefit.

leo-j said:
Yep since its a port from pc, 512mb of ram= no load times.

ps3= 5GB to = 512mb of ram.

Since ps3 has only 256mb of ram available for the gaming aspect, the 360 has about over 412mb.

They need the 5 gigs to replace the needed ram in order to run at 60fps at 640p HD

Please, stop my stomach hurts :D

No leo-j 5GB is not like 512 MB of ram...

The installed data is there for faster streaming (faster than a BR-Disc but a lot slower than RAM), so no, is not the same, is not used the same way...

And both, the PS3 and the 360 have 512 MB of ram... 

On topic, 25 min is a lot for just 5Gb something is wrong or fishy... maybe the have to ensure all the data is together...

By me:

Made with Blender + LuxRender
"Since you can´t understand ... there is no point to taking you seriously."

Doesn't this have to do with the fact that the BR drive is much slower than the DVD drive in the 360?

So it would be unnecessary for the 360.

leo-j said:

They ported it from a pc, therefore they do not use the CELL for DMC4 just the graphics card and ram.

A PS3 game which doesn't use the cell? Is that like those cars which don't use engines?

Sarcasm aside, realize that any game for any console has to use the CPU (in this case the Cell) in order to run. Whether they take advantage of the Cell's SPEs is another case, but they must at least use the PPE in order to use any feature of the PS3. The graphics card receives its work from the Cell, and the graphics card can only access 256 MB of RAM in the PS3 (the other half is for the Cell only).

Don't mix up the common meme that many ports don't use the SPEs (which is probably true) with the surely incorrect statement that you just wrote there.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Around the Network

@NJ5

That was what I was referring to, they didnt use the SPEs, therefore not using the cell.

The orange box runs completely on ram and graphics card, which is pathetic.

mM
leo-j said:
@NJ5

That was what I was referring to, they didnt use the SPEs, therefore not using the cell.

The Cell consists of more than the SPEs, as I just told you.

@NJ5

I know that, but when I say they dont use the cell I refer to not using the SPE's at all.

mM
leo-j said:
@NJ5

A game can't run on graphics card and RAM alone....

/facepalm

leo-j said:
@NJ5

I know that, but when I say they dont use the cell I refer to not using the SPE's at all.

OK, I guess that's a fundamental difference between us. When I say "don't use the Cell", I mean "don't use the Cell".